PDA

View Full Version : Eyfs and sleeping babies

littleDs31
13-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Is there anything written in the eyfs regarding babies wanting to sleep? I have a 12mth old whose parents have decided they no longer want them to have an afternoon nap and they have been actively keeping her awake even though she is wanting to sleep. I heard we, (as childminders), are not supposed to do this but I can't find anything in the standards. Anyone else know where we stand with this? I may be looking with my eyes closed :( doh!

caz3007
13-05-2014, 12:18 PM
We have to meet each child's needs and a 12 month old needs a nap. We aren't allowed to deprive a child of sleep. There are many websites that give you a guide to sleep that children need at various ages

tess1981
13-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I have it in my policies I will not force a child to sleep but I will not keep a child awake that needs their sleep. I also apply this to children who don't normally sleep and are maybe feeling under the weather. If they fall asleep on the sofa I will let them have an hour and I tell parents they obviously need it. Plus for health and safety an over tired child tends to fight and hit out at other children my priority is to keep all children safe and their well being attended to. Depriving people from their sleep used to be used as a firm of torture in the middle ages.....

watford wizz
13-05-2014, 02:56 PM
http://www.unicef.org.uk/UNICEFs-Work/Our-mission/UN-Convention/ this is where you will find every child has the right to sleep x