PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information permission form for revised EYFS 2014

danast
12-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is any clearer what kind of permission form we need for sharing info on child with the updated EYFS 2014.
Mine current one is to share info and name the the school or preschool.
But should we have to have one which includes health visitors or children centres if asking advice?
Many thanks x

rickysmiths
12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't think this has changed in the revised bit of EYFS.

I have always had written signed permission for me to share information with other professionals such as Health Visitor, Social Services.

sarah707
12-05-2014, 07:13 PM
A lot of cms do not have - sharing with Health Visitor - in their list of permissions and it causes a lot of problems especially if there are issues at the 2 year check and parents refuse to hand the cms check over to the HV.

I have seen a number of inspection reports where the cm has not approached the HV direct because parents refuse to give permission - and ofsted say the cm is failing the child... no win situation :(

I suggest that one way round this is to use the Eyfs 2014 as a 'good excuse' to say to parents - I have to change my permissions to comply with the new requirements - I am need to tell you that I am required to share info with HV if I have any concerns .. .or something like that sorry I don't have the document in front of me :D

Simona
13-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Apologies for coming in this discussion and adding my view

Information sharing with other professionals can only be done with 'parental consent'
EYFS 2012 is very clear on page 11...providers 'should'
In EYFS 2014 it is the same stated on page 14 (2.5)

The only time we do not need permission is to report suspected child abuse...otherwise we need parents to agree with us sharing with others

Many parents do not do so and that is a real problem when children genuinely have additional needs but we are not allowed to liaise with other professionals for true Integrated Working

Ofsted inspectors cannot deviate from the EYFS and judge inappropriately at inspection...they are there to interpret EYFS not change it
CMs cannot be told off for not sharing if there is 'true' evidence that parents have allowed sharing

I hope cms will be able to discuss this at inspection...should it happen to them....and not be worried by Ofsted's personal interpretations of the EYFS

I am sure those attending Ofsted Big Conversation will flag up this problem of individual interpretations by inspectors
It has been flagged up in London so hope we continue the trend across the country.

We must stop Ofsted judging us wrong because of their interpretation and remind ourselves EYFS is written by the DfE not Ofsted...hope this helps

rickysmiths
13-05-2014, 10:15 AM
I list all the permissions required on one sheet. They are just a list with no option for the parent to tick or ot but just to sign at the bottom agreeing to give permission.

Personally if any parent objected to any of the permissions I ask for I would not preceed to sign a Contract with them because I would not be able to work with them.

y list of permissions is a combination of what we are required to have, what is suggested and what helps me to run my business the way I want to but at the same time Safeguarding me and my family and the children I care for.

I have always included sharing information with other professionals such as health Visitors, teachers in my permissions and I thought this was what most childminders did.

Simona
13-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I list all the permissions required on one sheet. They are just a list with no option for the parent to tick or ot but just to sign at the bottom agreeing to give permission.

Personally if any parent objected to any of the permissions I ask for I would not preceed to sign a Contract with them because I would not be able to work with them.

y list of permissions is a combination of what we are required to have, what is suggested and what helps me to run my business the way I want to but at the same time Safeguarding me and my family and the children I care for.

I have always included sharing information with other professionals such as health Visitors, teachers in my permissions and I thought this was what most childminders did.

I do the same and most cms do I am sure
It is worth looking into this...maybe our EY team can clarify

That I am aware of parents can say no to us sharing information...this is happening to cms I have spoken to who need to communicate with other professionals but parents say NO

I have recently had experience of this and the HV was very clear that parental permission was needed
We can refer to Speech only with parental permission
Schools often share only general info...I have been told that very clearly and experienced a parent vetoed any form of info sharing while another was very willing but school said no.
I contacted Ofsted on this and they said they cannot make schools share...their advice was 'do your best'
Even the CAF has to have parental permission

We can share with nurseries only if nurseries are willing...many do not even allow cms to look at the child's LJ
It is a real problem which defeats the EYFS aim of intervention and prevention

It remains a mystery why parents say no but they must have reasons and the EYFS says 'should' not 'must'
Parents do not have to take the Progress check to a HV if they do not want to...let's get it clarified because it would be a great help for us all

I would be interested to read what other cms experience is on this subject...there is always room to learn

danast
13-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Thank you all. To be honest i always had a permission to share with school,pre school .I might just amend it and ask for HV and other childcare professionals who is dealing with their child and state that i will allways update them afterwards.
I have lovely parents so hopefully they will not mind.