PDA

View Full Version : Car lease and tax treatment

MrsMinder
08-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi

Hoping someone may be able to help. I'm just sorting out our first year's accounts, and wondering the best way to treat our car expenses. I'd originally planned on using the flat 45p per mile approach. However, we lease a car (personal lease, but a straight lease as opposed to hire purchase or PCP). I've just worked out that the business mileage accounts for 35% of the miles done on the car this year (it was new in April, makes things easy!) and 35% of the lease payments alone is more than the mileage we could claim. Plus other expenses - insurance, servicing/repairs, petrol etc.

Is it ok to do this i.e. calculate all the costs of our car over the year including the lease payments and allocate 35% to the business?

I've seen info about when you buy a car and capital allowances but struggling to find anything minder specific about leases.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

hectors house
09-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Tricky one - I would ring the HMRC - best to get this sorted out now as I know that once you select one method for calculating car expenses you have to stick to them. I know you can claim back interest on loans for conservatory built new for childminding, so would have thought that a car lease is similar - but best to phone for advice or use an accountant.