PDA

View Full Version : Ratio's and variations - so confused

Elkie Mawdsley
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Hello everyone

I have read many posts about ratios and variations since joining this site, and it seems so silly that we never seem to get any straight answers from OFSTED about what we can and can't do, with the exception of, check EYFS.

Lots of posts I have read say that a childminder can only care for two babies in the following circumstances:

if they are already caring for someone else's baby, and then have their own baby
look after older children of a parent that has a new baby when you already have your own baby
looking after twins.

My question is, where did these specifications come from? If we are to just read the EYFS as OFSTED have advised, no such specifications are detailed. The only requirement of 3.40 is that the childminder must be able to demonstrate that individual care needs are being met.

I'm only asking as I am worried that I am not reading all of the required literature that I should be reading :/

Simona
05-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Hello everyone

I have read many posts about ratios and variations since joining this site, and it seems so silly that we never seem to get any straight answers from OFSTED about what we can and can't do, with the exception of, check EYFS.

Lots of posts I have read say that a childminder can only care for two babies in the following circumstances:

if they are already caring for someone else's baby, and then have their own baby
look after older children of a parent that has a new baby when you already have your own baby
looking after twins.

My question is, where did these specifications come from? If we are to just read the EYFS as OFSTED have advised, no such specifications are detailed. The only requirement of 3.40 is that the childminder must be able to demonstrate that individual care needs are being met.

I'm only asking as I am worried that I am not reading all of the required literature that I should be reading :/

Like the rest of us you are reading the right guidance
it is the DfE that writes and sets the requirements in EYFS ...not Ofsted, all they can do is follow them but we get different interpretations on variations by inspectors which we have flagged up as inconsistent at Ofsted Big Conversation in London and I am sure will be raised at other meetings

All you can do is judge and decide for yourself

It is really up you how you interpret the rules but the EYFS is 'as clear as you can get'...in other words 'clear as mud'...if unsure play safe until the muddle is sorted !

Elkie Mawdsley
06-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Thanks Simona

At least I know that I'm not missing something :)

sarah707
06-05-2014, 05:29 PM
There is a lot more guidance here - Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c)

And the Eyfs is clear about babies / sibling babies / your own baby -

3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby.

Nothing ambiguous there ...

Which bit are you not sure about? :D

Elkie Mawdsley
07-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi sarah

Thank you for the extra info.

It's not the EYFS I am confused by as such, it is the information from other ratio posts I have read over time, as quite a few people advise that the variation can never apply for new business - which is not actually said in the EYFS document.

:/

Simona
08-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Hi sarah

Thank you for the extra info.

It's not the EYFS I am confused by as such, it is the information from other ratio posts I have read over time, as quite a few people advise that the variation can never apply for new business - which is not actually said in the EYFS document.

:/

Elkie....all we can do here is offer 'advice and support' to follow the EYFS...if this is clear to you then you will be ok when a variation opportunity presents itself to you
Many other cms are clear too while others will continue to put questions about variations...that tells me the statutory framework is far from clear...in the end it is down to us to judge as independent CMs what is right or wrong in our interpretation

What cms are debating in many posts is 'their' interpretation and inspectors' individual' interpretation when we get inspected as many are differing in judgement

These variations questions have been posted since 2012 when the EYFS was reformed...cms continue to seek help from here but to no avail as many continue to put questions

they continue even now the EYFS 2014 has been revised because the EYFS 'variations' section for cms is still the same
Many many cms cannot self variate confidently or without worry of being downgraded at inspection...it is a bit messy and needs sorting.

You may also have read that at the London OBC we raised this matter with the Ofsted panei which included the Director for EYFS across the country....so we have made Ofsted aware of the problem we have
There were cms from this forum and we debated this with Ofsted

The EYFS is written by the DfE but Ofsted have a duty to interpret it correctly and train its inspectors well...I would hope all cms would agree to that?

You can see this in the London OBC feedback and ...despite the fact this forum did not show much interest in that meeting ...it took place and we raised it and the panel put it down to inspectors training

You are correct the EYFS does not mention 'new business' ...nor does it mention 'continuity of care'

We will get this sorted in the end and there are many ways we can do it...one being proactive and the other is asking questions and putting them to those who can get answers for us

I am sure I am not the only cm who wants answers...whatever I get I will share with others.

Elkie Mawdsley
08-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks Simona :)