PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED EY Newsletter April 2014

Simona
09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Latest changes from Ofsted from Gill Jones new Deputy Director Early Education

Ofsted | Early years: April 2014 (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-april-2014)

sarah707
09-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Will you read it for me please Simona I'm tired :D

watford wizz
09-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Me too! Promise to sit still and use my best listening ears , not poke anyone near or pick my nose, I haven't hidden any scissors in my pocket to cut hair/ clothes with and will try not to fidget x

loocyloo
09-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Will you read it for me please Simona I'm tired :D

Please ....

I've only just been sent an email from DO with a link to the latest edition of eyfs and being told to read it ( didn't have the heart or energy to say I had and these were the relevant bits! ) I can't cope with any more ;-)

Simona
09-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I have read it twice but unless I print it my brain won't engage...so doing that now

For those who have not heard of her Gill Jones is the Deputy Director of Early Education...not sure who the actual director is?
She is the very woman who last week was on tv telling everyone that children arrive at schools with dummies and in pushchairs and that is not good enough while Wilshaw was delivering his speech that we are not good enough at helping poor children but overall 78% of us are good so he believes schools are better...sorry I deviate

Page 2
deals with the confusion parents face when 'hunting' for best provision
Too many of us are 'scared' of teaching
Accountability in our sector is poor, not shared, not moderated due to LAs poor oversight...

Page 3 and 4
'Are you ready? good practice for school readiness' is published...link provided

Ofsted has developed 'getting good seminars'...apparently after listening to concerns?
These focus on improvement, teaching in particular.
They were trialled and feedback positive
(I recall Sue Gregory talking about this at the Alliance AGM last June...when I asked her why Cms were not included she waffled on about agencies and wouldn't answer the question...mmm!!)

These will be extended to those with RI via regional meetings with LAs
Ofsted will not carry out monitoring visits anymore for nurseries and preschools judged RI...no mention of Cms at all here...so this is a concern because it does not state where we get the support

Inadequate settings on non domestic provision will expect to be invited to attend a 'getting good seminar' in their next steps...at the seminars they can discuss their action plan with HMI present at the session....no mention of cms again.

Please read this section because I found it a bit confusing...I may have got it wrong

page 5
Cms agencies have received pilot inspections to test the proposed framework...those used were the DfE trial agencies
Results are being evaluated
Inspectors will be trained in summer for the regulation and inspection of agencies

Revised publications...a long list...some have been streamlined and reduced in number...please read this part...one is about inspecting cms with no children on roll

page 6
list of new publications
Guide to registration on the EY register...read this

page 7
Supplementary information includes letter from HMCI to inspectors

Ofsted Good practice website is new and has case studies...inspectors will refer providers to this if they need further advice

EYFS 2014

Page 8
Memorandum of understanding between Ofsted and the Food Standards Agencies ...this is about our food registration

That's all folks...

PS: I will raise the question of the 'getting good' seminars for CMs at OBC in London on Friday...is anyone going or will I be on my lonesome in a room of nurseries and preschools?

watford wizz
09-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Many many thanks x x