PDA

View Full Version : Deperate for some advice!

JKL
09-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi All,

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I've been back at work for two months now after maternity leave, while I get my checks and registration completed. The thing is I'm having an awful time of it. The thought of going in work fills me with dread and makes me feel physically sick. Even to the point where I've actually been sick a couple of times. I'm being victimised and penalised for having had a baby and I'm being expected to work nightmare-ish shifts (5pm to 3am as an example!) among a number of other issues.

I've taken it to HR but they're really no help. I've also sought advice from medical professionals. My GP feels I should be off sick with stress as it's really starting to affect my home life! My DS is 9 months and is up at 7am without fail, which isn't usually an issue but when I don't get home from work until 3.30am I find it incredibly hard being able to get up with him and function and do things with him. DH is very supportive but also has to leave for work by 7.20am.

My main problem is we've just moved house and I've transferred GP's surgeries. Now I've filled out my health declaration but I have to wait for all my records to be transferred before they can complete it. Which could be another week or two. I don't think I can manage another two weeks in work but how detrimental to my application would it be if my GP was to document that I am currently off with stress on my health declaration?

I don't want to jeopardise anything with my registration but I'm not sure I can continue to persevere at work. I also can't hand in my notice yet as I have it contractually written that it I leave within three months of returning from maternity leave or I would have to repay my maternity pay which I'm not in a position to do.

Any/all advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance :(

karen2010
09-04-2014, 07:58 AM
When my GP filled out my form he put on that I had suffered from stress due to a nearly fatal car crash a few years ago and that I was on anti-depressants as a result - actually was not stressed but had panic attacks on motorways and needed to use them at the time because of my job! (Motorways)
When I had my registration visit was asked about it but once I explained it was all ok,didn't affect my registration at all.
Been childminding a year now x
If your doc wants to sign you off then I would agree that you prob need it, job sounds awful with those shifts,shouldn't affect your registration at all IMO - we are not robots !!
Good luck xxxxxx

caz3007
09-04-2014, 09:13 AM
I had reactive depression in the past due to being in a violent and controlling relationship. I put a covering letter in with my health declaration explaining why and that I had left the marriage. I wasn't even asked about it

JKL
09-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you for the replies. They definitely make me feel a little more confident in being able to go off sick without jeopardising my application. Had another totally nightmare-ish shift today where I ended up in tears! Twice!!! Feeling totally fed up and demoralised. It's purely the thought of seeing my managers response when I submit my notice of resignation that's keeping me going. Today I was accused of "milking it" due to being unavailable because of childcare!

karen2010
11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Keep your chin up hon things will get better xxx

dolly1985
11-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Things will definitely get better - keep smiling :-)

blue bear
11-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Do you what you need to, you need to look after you. Hugs x

Ripeberry
11-04-2014, 06:27 PM
It seems unfair that they have changed your shifts. You could sue them for 'Constructive Dismissal' as they are making your work/life balance impossible!

caz3007
12-04-2014, 07:00 AM
I would contact ACAS for some advice about the changes of shift, especially as the shifts are rubbish with a baby to look after. They were very helpful when my daughter had an employment issue and also friends have used their help

JKL
14-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Well I have been to my GP again today and she has signed me off for two weeks with a view to reviewing me again then. It sounds absurd but I feel like a weight has been lifted! Thanks to everyone for their advise, I'm going to contact HR again when I can gather all my thoughts together and discuss their policy for returning new mothers. Thanks again :) x

sing-low
14-04-2014, 05:51 PM
That's good news!

karen2010
15-04-2014, 05:57 AM
Enjoy the two weeks off - and Good Luck with tackling work - in a few months you will be happily Childminding,and will look back and think how glad you are it's all over xxxxxxxxxxx

JKL
15-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks all, I'm feeling much brighter today. And the weather is beautiful. Made arrangements to go to a petting farm tomorrow with a friend and her two children. :D