PDA

View Full Version : getting hacked off with ofsted

mookie
07-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Not sure if im completely alone in this category or what but im getting sick of ofsted. From the paperwork, lists on parenting, readiness for school etc etc. It's putting young children under too much stress and I believe will kill the childcare industry. Children need fun, love and security as well as learning but to do this learning so young will burden new parents and rob them of their childhood.
maybe I am just old fashioned or just old, but the longer im childminding and dealing with ofsted the more the future worries me.
ive thought of starting a petition but not sure if it would get read. Im not really sure what to do.
I understand what ofsted are there for but if I had an option,, I chose to work without them.
Im probably going to get slated for this post but I don't mean to cause a problem. I home schooled my children for a while and because of this I have 2 well rounded young boys. Schools and ofsteds ideals make work for some or most but certainly not all.
any ideas?

tess1981
07-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't deal with ofsted as I'm in northern Ireland and we don't do half what you have to do and I'm sure we all do a good job so I understand why you are hacked off.

hectors house
08-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Ofsted have improved the quality of childcare since I first registered in 1989 but somewhere along the way they have turned into the Dementors from Harry Potter and have sucked all the fun out of childminding:panic:

mookie
08-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Ofsted have improved the quality of childcare since I first registered in 1989 but somewhere along the way they have turned into the Dementors from Harry Potter and have sucked all the fun out of childminding:panic:

Omgoodness! Dementors! The description fits! I agree 100% but it's like they have gone too far. Not only are they sucking all the fun, I truly believe that they are taking away parental choice.

rickysmiths
08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
the thing is it isn't Ofsted who have changed things they just Inspect and Register us. It is the Government who changes things so shoot them!

shortstuff
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
I think the trouble with Ofsted is the inconsistency with which they carry out our inspections. I know I'm not looking forward to my next one already and I was only inspected May 2013!

Mrs Scrubbit
08-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I think the trouble with Ofsted is the inconsistency with which they carry out our inspections. I know I'm not looking forward to my next one already and I was only inspected May 2013!

Totally agree, I've always had good with outstanding areas but for some reason found myself dreading the thought of going through yet anther inspection (in fact its only now that I've packed up that I realise just how ill it was making me!). As you say its the inconsistency that is proving the main source of worry and stress, and as I couldn't see this changing I decided to become my mindees nanny instead ......... and I must say I'm loving it and love doing things for the children only and not to please the goverment and Ofsted:clapping::clapping: xx

shortstuff
08-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Totally agree, I've always had good with outstanding areas but for some reason found myself dreading the thought of going through yet anther inspection (in fact its only now that I've packed up that I realise just how ill it was making me!). As you say its the inconsistency that is proving the main source of worry and stress, and as I couldn't see this changing I decided to become my mindees nanny instead ......... and I must say I'm loving it and love doing things for the children only and not to please the goverment and Ofsted:clapping::clapping: xx

Well done. If nannying suits you more I am really happy for you. And jealous at the same time with no more ofsted. Good for you.

Simona
09-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Many cms will recall the first time they were inspected by Ofsted when the inspectorate entered the EY system...my 1st inspection for my preschool was in 1997
That was a very engaging and positive experience

As I moved into cminding I had 4 further inspections...each one again positive and a true professional challenge with inspectors who knew their job, were respectful and making judgement on a system that was developing but not constantly changing.

The problem now is that Ofsted has entered into the 'policy making' arena...that is not their remit as inspectorate and it is clouding their independent role from the DfE...who drives the policy? should be the DfE and Ofsted should inspect to ensure the system is effective and working

The latest Ofsted/Wilshaw proposal is that schools should lead the EY sector, work together and drive high quality...this is a very suspicious move which Truss has, of course, backed fully because it is part of her agenda

Only when Ofsted return to be totally independent and stop moving the goal posts every other week we can all start having some faith and respect in their role...until then many will be 'hacked off' as brilliantly put!

JCrakers
09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I cant wait to get out of it actually. I've been looking at jobs in town this morning.
I don't know if I need a break as I'm exhausted or if I've generally had enough of childminding.

I sit and dream of a lovely job in a shop.... Talking to people without having to think about why I'm talking to them, how I'm talking to them and thinking about how I'm going to write it down. :rolleyes: I dream of just going to work, doing a days work and coming home at the end of it.

Because I want to be good at my job I feel like I'm analysing every movement the children do. This morning they have sat and done some colouring and are now watching Chicken little and I feel guilty as hell as we actually haven't 'done anything'.
And I don't want to feel like this.

09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I must admit that OFSTED are huge part about my job I don't like. In my opinion if the parents and the children are happy and content, then why should I try pleasing anybody else? Four example today we had a lovely picnic at the park and the children had a great time playing all sorts of equipment and in the sandpit. Then this afternoon we baked and decorated Easter egg biscuits which they loved doing.

At the end of the week we are planning a trip out to London zoo which the children are really excited about as we've been doing the theme of animals for the last few weeks. So in my opinion they are having a fantastic time with me and I'm doing a great job in Childminding them. The endless paperwork and continuous searching for reasons as to why they are reaching their EYFS goals I find exasperating and take me away from the true meaning of what it is to look after a child :(.

I got outstanding at my last inspection and am due another inspection very soon! However because I have got so Caught up in doing fun things with the children and looking after them that I have the let the other side slip :(. I am convinced that I won't get outstanding again as they are being so picky :(