PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED: Give parents check list on how to raise their children

Simona
03-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Parents should have a check list on how to raise their children and those who argue about letting children learn at their own pace are referred to as the 'chattering classes'

I am sure that many parents could do with support but his tone is rather unacceptable

Ofsted: all parents should get a 'checklist' telling them how to raise their children - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10741986/Ofsted-all-parents-should-get-a-checklist-telling-them-how-to-raise-their-children.html)

caz3007
03-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Oooh mine can all do that, even my lo from a low income single parent family!!!

FussyElmo
03-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Really the man is a :censored:

Is he wanting to become education minister sounds like the other :censored:

watford wizz
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm in shock, not that I agree with this, but a list with clear instruction and no grey areas. Never thought I'd see the day!!!LOL

Glitter
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I am really angry about the part which says children from low income families will have a disadvantaged start.

Both my children are from a low income family and they had all the skills they needed. Just because a few poor families don't teach their children essential skills does not mean we are all the same.

watford wizz
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
I think the children who need to learn these skills come from all sorts of families and it's not only the children who need to learn them!

hectors house
03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Well my 2 mindees who will be starting school in September will be getting an A* in everything on his list and my 2 & 3 year olds can do most of those things too.

Although I don't agree with everything in the article it's nice to see an article that suggests that the parents have a responsibility too, not just Childminders & Nurseries getting all the blame for a change.

Does anyone remember that kids TV programme called the "Demon Headmaster" where the headmaster was brain washing everyone so he could take over the world - maybe that's what Michael Wilshaw has in mind!

lisbet
03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Thank you for sharing, Simona, but give me strength - I am not sure I can bear to hear much more from Wilshawtrussgove. :crying:

Simona
03-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Thank you for sharing, Simona, but give me strength - I am not sure I can bear to hear much more from Wilshawtrussgove. :crying:

I think we have all had enough today but...unfortunately Truss is to give a speech on Monday in response to the report...more nager and frustration will come out then :angry:

gef918
03-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Would the characteristics of effective learning not make a better checklist?

My son wouldn't have ticked all those boxes when he started school - he was premature and born in the summer. However, now in year 2 he's in the top group for literacy and numeracy. Some children just take longer than others to get there...

I do like the idea of teaching children in secondary school how to care for children though. Big fan of teaching life skills in school.

loocyloo
03-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Well my 2 mindees who will be starting school in September will be getting an A* in everything on his list and my 2 & 3 year olds can do most of those things too.

Although I don't agree with everything in the article it's nice to see an article that suggests that the parents have a responsibility too, not just Childminders & Nurseries getting all the blame for a change.

Does anyone remember that kids TV programme called the "Demon Headmaster" where the headmaster was brain washing everyone so he could take over the world - maybe that's what Michael Wilshaw has in mind!

Lol ds has just done the demon headmaster as a play and I thought then of Wilshaw!

Simona
04-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Would the characteristics of effective learning not make a better checklist?

My son wouldn't have ticked all those boxes when he started school - he was premature and born in the summer. However, now in year 2 he's in the top group for literacy and numeracy. Some children just take longer than others to get there...

I do like the idea of teaching children in secondary school how to care for children though. Big fan of teaching life skills in school.

You are so spot on...your child was the prime example and caught up in his own time but the powers that be seem to think all children are the same and should all learn the same and at the same time...which is in contradiction to the CoEL

Strange Wilshaw does not get that...he was a headteacher who turned a failing school around...was he not?

MAWI
04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
i love this One on the checklist!! Even my DD who is 18 is still struggling with that one haha.

Ive got to make light of it or I think Id throw in the towel. The checklist is also very vague, e.g be aware of other children- really!

Simona
05-04-2014, 10:47 AM
i love this One on the checklist!! Even my DD who is 18 is still struggling with that one haha.

Ive got to make light of it or I think Id throw in the towel. The checklist is also very vague, e.g be aware of other children- really!

I find that puzzling and confusing
It has been good practice so far to have a Behaviour Management policy which we share with parents in the hope of establishing 'shared strategies' with parents including setting boundaries

Maybe HMCI is not aware that the DfE has removed this requirement from EYFS 2014?