PDA

View Full Version : changing from employed to self employed

mum67
31-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone

Hope somebody can help me here as I am completely confused.

I gave my notice in at work to start minding at the end of April, I had a 3yr old to mind but now mum has decided not to take the job she was offered and I don't know where it leaves me with tax credits etc.

I was supposed to be minding the lo 18 hrs a week, (6 hrs over 3 days).

What do I do now once my p45 and p60 come if I don't have any other children by then, will I be completely skint?

Do I add extra time to my hours for tax credit purposes for; planning, paperwork, business side of things etc.

Really worried now as I have two dependents of my own and scared incase I can't afford to feed them after my last wage from present job is gone.

HELP AND ADVICE desperately needed.

Should I go to a Citizens Advice or ring tax credits even though my p45/60 not here yet?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.:(

Chatterbox Childcare
31-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Personally I would ring tax credits and explain to them your situation and then call the job centre and see what you are entitled too.

Goatgirl
31-03-2014, 04:05 PM
HI :),
So sorry you've found yourself in this situation :group hug::group hug:
Can you 'borrow' a family member to mind for a while until you find a new mindee?

I initially minded my nephew at very reduced rates for 8 hours a week and justified the other 8 hours with the other things I had to do to maintain my business. The tax credits people said this was fine as long as I could actually show that I as spending that time working regardless of whether it was paid contact time with children.

Back then, as a single parent with dependants you needed to work 16 hours a week to qualify for tax credits, not sure if that's still the same. Under 16 hours would have put me in the jobseekers allowance category: not a nice place to be if you can avoid it :panic:.

Good luck, hope it works out for you :thumbsup: