PDA

View Full Version : It is that time of year again!

Chatterbox Childcare
26-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Yes we are there again, the end of the financial year is looming next week and the time has come to sort out our accounts ):

So dig around in the bottom of your bags, the holes in the car and down the seats and find all those missing receipts that you forgot about, check your bank statements and credit card statements for the odd purchases that you didn't write down and log in to your paypal, ebay, amazon etc accounts to see what you have brought and missed. All the little amounts add up and may be the difference in paying tax and ni and not paying it.

Remember that there were changes to the things we have to record this year and you need receipts for any day that you spend more than £10.

In January each year there is an influx of questions and messages - "how do I get my self assessment number from the HMRC" and "I wish I had done this earlier".

So take the stress off yourself and set a target date to get it all finished (maybe the end of June) and then if you do have to pay anything you will know what it is and are able to budget and if not, maybe you can book that holiday that you have worked so hard for. :)

Kiddleywinks
26-03-2014, 11:36 AM
And don't forget the influx of scam HMRC emails that start now claiming you have a refund due - HMRC don't contact you about refunds before you've filled in your return (how can they refund anything when you've not told them what you've earnt lol), and any refunds due will be done through snail mail ;-)

*daisychain*
26-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Thank you ladies x

sarah707
26-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Good advice Chatterbox thank you! :clapping:

hectors house
26-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your advice - think I am currently carrying around about 6 months worth of receipts in my filing cabinet / handbag! Probably why I put my back out today. :(

MessybutHappy
26-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Excellent advice! Thank you for the proverbial kick up the behind!!!

Can you chase me again next month?!!

cathtee
26-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I use a brilliant spreadsheet that was shared on here and do my accounts each week and oops I've spent enough not to pay tax :D but I still don't file it until December, habit I think :)