PDA

View Full Version : Planning Help..please

MissTinkerbell
23-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Afternoon everyone.

I'm stuck:panic:

I'm doing my medium plans to get ready for my first mindee in Sept and have decided to base it on ourselves so that I can get an idea of what she likes, doesn't like, etc.

I'm starting to think about 'My Family' and my brain has turned to mush - must be dow to the developing headache:ohdear:

Anyway anyone any ideas of what I can do for PSRN for My Family? My brain refuses to work.

I think I'm off to put the kettle on.

Thank you

sarah707
23-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Make a little booklet ... all about me.

Let child draw their own portrait...

Do a family tree - ask parents for old photos or make it up as you go along...

Ask about likes and dislikes, favourite things etc ...

Put in a hand and footprint...

Photos... etc etc :D

madasahatter
23-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Songs/rhymes with fingers and toes and other body parts could come under PSRN. You could even make your own versions up eg.

Benji has 10 fingers
Benji has 10 toes
Benji has 2 eyes
but only 1 nose

Helpinghands
24-07-2008, 11:48 AM
"I'm doing my medium plans to get ready for my first mindee in Sept"

Medium Plans?????

Now I'm stuck....what are these?

Thanks
Jo

sarah707
24-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I do long term ... for the year, celebrations, multicultural stuff, birthdays etc.

I do short term ... for a week or so in advance.

I gave up on medium term - they rarely happen and I do not like writing things down more than once!

Your planning should be easy for you ... and reflect the way you work.

Hth :D

wellybelly
24-07-2008, 02:46 PM
A family tree wall display based a round a family photo brough in from home. Then perhaps design the wall display as a tree itself and once all the detail is on like photos and who the people are, add apples to the tree each with a number eg 1-20. If you dont like apples, maybe use handprints done by the children as leaves again with numbers on.

hillbilly
26-07-2008, 08:07 AM
I use long, medium and short term planning, with each one informing the other. so,
Long term: lists month by month what my topic will be, eg, homes, spring, growing etc. This needs to be really flexible, as I might plan to do, say, growing in April, but then find I have a new mindee or that they want to do 'Space'. If what I have planned for long term isnt appropriate when I get to that month, then I change it to something that is.

Medium: With this, I list all the 'developmental matters' that I would like the children to be working towards for each learning area for the topic. eg for August, im doing a topic of animals (long Term Plan) then under Personal, social and emotional development I have thought about the development matters (EYFS) and chosen these :Explore the environment with interest, Have a strong exploratory impulse, Feel safe and secure within healthy relationships with key people, Express their feelings within warm, mutual, affirmative relationships. These are the key things that I feel the children in my care need to be working towards, and are appropriate to them.

Short Term: This is then a week in advance, detailing what activities im planning to do throughout the week to help the children with the development matters in my medium term plan. eg Personal, Social and Emotional Development:Using the soft animals to give cuddles, stroke, touch, describing feelings.

It sounds really complicated. but its not once youve done it a couple of times. I also have to keep looking at the EYFS pack, which is a good thing, as its an important document for us all to understand, imo!:p
If any one would like me to send them a copy, just pm me.

Kelly

hillbilly
26-07-2008, 08:13 AM
For 'My family' topic, you could use small world play, perhaps with a dolls house or similar to encourage the child to explore families, emotions, etc. You will be amazed how much they give away about their own lives through small world play. Also, lots of role play. My little ones love getting out the dressing up box, and dressing up like members of their family, mummy, daddy, baby etc. You might also use puppets and persona dolls. What about a special teddy that the child has to look after and take home for a short period? This provides a really good link between hoome and your setting, and each day when the child brings the teddy back to you, you can talk about what teddy did last night at home etc.

Hope these help :)

Kelly

MissTinkerbell
26-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks everyone - you'd think after 12 years of planning for Early Years topics I'd be full of them but my brain just went to mush on this one and I've done the topic of Ourselves and My Family so mant times:laughing: