PDA

View Full Version : Question about observations

redtiger21
20-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi all, I was wondering, when writing an observation on a child, do you only do so when they're displaying a new skill with regard to the EYO? If not, what else do you look to document in an ob? I'm just thinking, most of my LOs are meeting almost all the milestones in their relative age/stage brackets, but aren't ready to move to the higher brackets, so am I right in not writing an ob until they do? Also, with certain bullet points in the EYO, they can be a bit open-ended and vague, particularly in the 40-60m age bracket, so would I need more than one ob to support evidence that they are achieving this skill? And I know that the EYO are supposed to be a guide and not a ticklist, but my development worker recommended I use them, so was just looking for further advice x

sarah707
20-03-2014, 06:58 PM
You can write an observation about anything! It can be to share information with parents, to notice something new, to follow up on a skill they learned a few weeks ago, to say what they've done at home or in another setting... all sorts of things.

You don't link it to a statement in EYO because that would be limiting the type of observations you make.

EYO is a guide only - know your children and know what they can do and you'll find it easier to work with EYO :D