PDA

View Full Version : NEWSFLASH - AGENCIES GET THE GO AHEAD!

hectors house
13-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Just had an e-mail from Foundation Years Team (foundations@4children.org.uk) saying NEWSFLASH

The Children and Families Bill - including provisions for establishing childminder agencies and making it easier for schools to offer wrap-around care - has today received Royal Assent, and so becomes law.

The Department for Education will be working to commence the Bill's provisions over the coming weeks and months. More information will be available in upcoming issues of our newsletters.

You can read more on the Children and Families bill here Children and Families Bill 2013 - The Department for Education (http://www.education.gov.uk/a00221161/children-families-bill)

specks4
13-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Just got email aswell.

Blueeyedminder
13-03-2014, 03:55 PM
What does this mean???

Smiley
13-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Just came in to the awful news via email that it has received Royal Assent today.
More info from DfE below
http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/c/childminder%20agencies%20statement%20of%20policy%2 0intention%20clause%2073_001.pdf

unalindura77
13-03-2014, 06:34 PM
:panic::panic::(:(

It was inevitable...

Simona
13-03-2014, 06:35 PM
What does this mean???

Unfortunately it means no one listened to us ....as was obvious from the start.....and agencies are now the law and will be reflected in the new EYFS and much more....Truss has had her way so far

The only thing we can hope for is that very very few CMs join them and parents are going to be very careful before choosing an agency Cm without an Ofsted inspection and are very clear on what they will be charged to be matched to a CM that has 'opted out' of regulation and has handed her 'independence' and business to a third party who will just do it for money.

Sad day for CMs really....but I think we would have been naïve to hope that we could overturn Truss's ideological nonsense

hectors house
13-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately it means no one listened to us ....as was obvious from the start.....and agencies are now the law and will be reflected in the new EYFS and much more....Truss has had her way so far

The only thing we can hope for is that very very few CMs join them and parents are going to be very careful before choosing an agency Cm without an Ofsted inspection and are very clear on what they will be charged to be matched to a CM that has 'opted out' of regulation and has handed her 'independence' and business to a third party who will just do it for money.

Sad day for CMs really....but I think we would have been naïve to hope that we could overturn Truss's ideological nonsense

A development officer in our County, isn't at all impressed that we have set up an Independent Childminders Network and is saying that it could have "legal implications" whatever that is supposed to mean - as long as we can still get Liability insurance and Ofsted will inspect us, I don't see what other "legal implications" there could be - think she is just trying to frighten us.

Simona
13-03-2014, 06:56 PM
A development officer in our County, isn't at all impressed that we have set up an Independent Childminders Network and is saying that it could have "legal implications" whatever that is supposed to mean - as long as we can still get Liability insurance and Ofsted will inspect us, I don't see what other "legal implications" there could be - think she is just trying to frighten us.

I wonder how many of the LAs who were not chosen for the trials will now pounce on agencies and start announcing packages for CMs?
We must keep our eyes open and keep strong in wanting to stay independent....
I better go and pour myself a glass of wine before I start sending tweets to Truss :angry:

Becci26
13-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Really gutted tbh :-(
Even though it was inevitable doesn't make me any less disappointed.
Let's hope we start getting some more info and answers now though!

Jayse74
13-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Well I am really feeling bad as I know full well this is the end for us here!

I have loved every last minute of this job and tbh I always knew something would come along and end it for me :*(

My partner is out at the moment. How do I tell her?

The reason I know that this is it! Because of how certain folk have been treating us. We have nothing to worry about on the face of doing things wrong. Quite the opposite! But it still seems as if all the ideology of Truss has really been taken onboard around here!

Met up with some minders today at the local park. Did not take long for this subject to come up and they are already thinking about moving on. This is just bad all round :(

Jayse74
13-03-2014, 08:37 PM
I wonder how many of the LAs who were not chosen for the trials will now pounce on agencies and start announcing packages for CMs?
We must keep our eyes open and keep strong in wanting to stay independent....
I better go and pour myself a glass of wine before I start sending tweets to Truss :angry:

I might need a stiff drink myself later!

FussyElmo
13-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Well I am really feeling bad as I know full well this is the end for us here!

I have loved every last minute of this job and tbh I always knew something would come along and end it for me :*(

My partner is out at the moment. How do I tell her?

The reason I know that this is it! Because of how certain folk have been treating us. We have nothing to worry about on the face of doing things wrong. Quite the opposite! But it still seems as if all the ideology of Truss has really been taken onboard around here!

Met up with some minders today at the local park. Did not take long for this subject to come up and they are already thinking about moving on. This is just bad all round :(

Why is it the end? Agencies are not the end of childminders they will only be successful if childminders join.

We all knew this bill was going through it had never been amended BUT it does not mean that its the end of childminding that will only happen if we let it.

Jayse74
13-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Why is it the end? Agencies are not the end of childminders they will only be successful if childminders join.

We all knew this bill was going through it had never been amended BUT it does not mean that its the end of childminding that will only happen if we let it.

Very true and I should stop getting so down over it! I cant help it. I am worrying more for my partner as well. It was her career choice and I stood by her from the start. I am not giving up! no way. Just need to brush off and get on with it :)

hectors house
13-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Just sent an e-mail to our childminding group suggesting that we send the Elizabeth Truss letters back on mass, in one envelope - save on postage and "may" make more of an impact - although I don't expect she opens her own post in case it explodes!

amylouise867
13-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Thing is I know you are saying you hope childminders don't join.

However - starting up and doing the 'business' side of things can be very daunting to some newbies.

It's the newbies that potentially will join more so over existing childminders who are already successful.

xx

Simona
13-03-2014, 09:36 PM

I really think we should all be allowed to feel cross, worried, betrayed and sold down the line by the unique approach Truss chose in this...
first the (false) praise...then the opening up of the funding to cms...then the betrayal by constantly refusing to face any cms against her...her refusal to acknowledge any letters and concerns...pure undiluted arrogance on her part ...I met the lady...she never fooled me

I wonder what the meeting with the 4 associations will be about next week? will it be cancelled again?

It is not the end of CMs but a chapter may ...I say 'may' have been closed as the 'childcare market' kicks off and cms still have a big stall in it!!
Yes we knew deep down we could not win BUT thousands of cms fought till the end ...this was a good campaign by the many... not the few....to be heard and to raise concerns ...at times on behalf of some CMs sleepwalking and refusing to acknowledge reality

Whatever happens now we need to be ready...but we need to allow some disappointment and anger to surface and be expressed openly...(where is that wine? pour another glass)

In the words of Scarlett O'Hara 'I won't think about it now...I'll think about it tomorrow....after all tomorrow is another day'
and tomorrow may present a different approach...

chin up everyone...we are down but not beaten!

jackie 7
13-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Just sent an e-mail to our childminding group suggesting that we send the Elizabeth Truss letters back on mass, in one envelope - save on postage and "may" make more of an impact - although I don't expect she opens her own post in case it explodes!

Why use stamps? I put return to sender agencies not wanted on it and it will be in the post in the morning

hectors house
13-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Why use stamps? I put return to sender agencies not wanted on it and it will be in the post in the morning

The return address on back of mine is Manchester - I want to sent it to HER in Westminster, London.

Simona
13-03-2014, 10:21 PM
The return address on back of mine is Manchester - I want to sent it to HER in Westminster, London.

Sending the reply to Manchester means Truss does not get to see any of the returned letters...the DfE employees will and will just bin them
You are right ...her place of work is in London at this address

Sanctuary Buildings
20 Great Smith Street
London
SW1P 3BT

jackie 7
13-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I sent it to her westminster address.

Simona
14-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Well it appears that the passing of agencies in to law is just that....a NEWSFLASH!
After the rivers of words and the million of questions?

There has been little reaction anywhere...apart from the few comments here...where is everyone?
is there another place where people are venting their anger?
do share

MAWI
14-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Exactly. we need to stand our ground and remain Independent. I for one, will not join an agency. I have just given up my job because I want the autonomy back that you get with childminding. Regimented Nursery land is not for me!! I would rather fight to the end and go work elsewhere if push came to shove. However that would have to be a very big Shove!

Anyway how long will all this setting up agencies take?

Simona
14-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Exactly. we need to stand our ground and remain Independent. I for one, will not join an agency. I have just given up my job because I want the autonomy back that you get with childminding. Regimented Nursery land is not for me!! I would rather fight to the end and go work elsewhere if push came to shove. However that would have to be a very big Shove!

Anyway how long will all this setting up agencies take?

Of course we will try that but...I read often that no one trusts the power that be not to make agencies 'compulsory'
What we need to address is HOW we can match the package agencies offer their members and where this will be available to independent CMs...there are plenty of suggestions being made out there
I look forward to the feedback from the Truss meeting and the 4 associations next week

Emra81
14-03-2014, 10:30 AM
I still feel like I'm missing the point......HOW are these agencies possibly going to be sustainable? They will surely have to finance themselves through either extra fees from parents (and surely there will be plenty of parents happy to do a little bit of leg work themselves rather than pay someone else to do it?) or, more likely, take a fee/cut of the hourly rate from childminders. Most childminders don't make a particularly spectacular living as it is and I know I for one would struggle to make it worth my while to carry on if I had to add agency fees to my loooong list of expenses. Granted I'll have to pay a higher fee for my ofsted inspection in order to stay independent but I'm guessing the agency fee will be considerably higher. It just seems so ill conceived I feel like I'm missing a vital piece of information as to how its all going to work!

Simona
14-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I still feel like I'm missing the point......HOW are these agencies possibly going to be sustainable? They will surely have to finance themselves through either extra fees from parents (and surely there will be plenty of parents happy to do a little bit of leg work themselves rather than pay someone else to do it?) or, more likely, take a fee/cut of the hourly rate from childminders. Most childminders don't make a particularly spectacular living as it is and I know I for one would struggle to make it worth my while to carry on if I had to add agency fees to my loooong list of expenses. Granted I'll have to pay a higher fee for my ofsted inspection in order to stay independent but I'm guessing the agency fee will be considerably higher. It just seems so ill conceived I feel like I'm missing a vital piece of information as to how its all going to work!

The trials at the moment are only 'concentrating' on future possible models...business or otherwise.....not clear what the 'otherwise' would be but I have an idea that it may involve schools from what I read ....while the others will be business and therefore charge for the services they provide to cms and parents alike: registering, matching, home visits, providing paperwork and support, claiming funding and offer training etc etc

They have no cms as members yet only volunteers and putting together a package for quality to support cms who join
At the end of the trials in March an 'independent' body' ...no one knows who they are and who are they independent of ...will evaluate the trials in April...I think the results will be published in May
From then on the agencies have until Sept to set up a business plan with the inspection framework being in place by then too and the new EYFS in place as well

In the meantime Ofsted are looking at ideas on how to inspect agencies...hence the consultation
This has been well co-ordinated by Truss, DfE and Ofsted....I think that is very obvious

Agencies...or some of them will need staff to carry out visits, face to face support and acquire training packages for cms
That will be reflected in the fee they charge cms and parents and yes they have to finance themselves as this has been made clear by Truss...no money for them...although I wonder if any will be found in the end ?

An agency is a middleman or broker...like those who administer c/vouchers and therefore will need to make a profit to pay their staff

So until there are clear figures out it is best to stay out of them...only @Home Childcare have published figures so far
As I said before watch out for LAs to suddenly come out with a package for cms...they have the expertise and many CMs have called for the support to remain at LA level

Not too long until we find out more

Forgot to add that agencies will also need to wait to be told how much an inspection will cost them before including that in their cost

shortstuff
14-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Well it appears that the passing of agencies in to law is just that....a NEWSFLASH!
After the rivers of words and the million of questions?

There has been little reaction anywhere...apart from the few comments here...where is everyone?
is there another place where people are venting their anger?
do share

the reason I havent replied is unfortunately I had a feeling it would go through no matter what. Yes I have fought the corner for independence but could see how underhanded ignoramus Truss was going to be.

I will not sign up but am not surprised in the slightest.

AdeleMarie88
14-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm not getting worried yet, my LEA are very good, they may or may not become a agency, and if they do I may or may not sign up.

My feelings are;

Yes I like being independent, and I feel confident and in control to maintain my outstanding grade, however, I know not all CMs are. The agencies will be amazing for those CMs.

I'm not worried about loosing business because I live in a very popular area, and there are not enough childcare options as it is.

Also I was originally against the 4under5s, but have recently discovered, to my delight, that I was wrong, and so I am very open to the fact that agencies may also not be as bad as we first thought.

HOWEVER, I also worry that there will be a financial strain on LEAs which will force them into becoming agencies, and in turn, those who are not signed up to agencies, will incur extra costs. What about our insurance, registration fees and so on? But for now, there is no point worrying, I certainly won't be ending my business because of it!

Good luck everyone! Xx

Simona
14-03-2014, 01:08 PM
You may be interested to know that Truss was tweeting happily last night and a few cms were involved in the exchange

This what she was saying: hi - I have had a series of meetings with childminders and keen to do more. No changes for new/existing independent childminders

I tweeted back to her :Don't think you realise what you have done to #CMs No change for #indycms? That is not how we see it Unblock us

Well it may not surprise you that the tweets have been...again....deleted from her account and the blocking remains well in place
I get confused by this woman...does she want to engage or not? or is it with just the 'chosen' ones who agree with her? but then I don't know any IC who agree with her anyway

teacake2
14-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I am sorry but I have to vent my feelings on this woman, why should I support someone who is not only ignorant, ill mannered and only wants her way and that way is the only right way, but more than anything else why should I support a person who found it necessary to have an affair with someone in her early career so that she could get her own way and progress up the ladder, she is not someone to be trusted and thought it fine to destroy another marriage to boost her career.
All this was on Wikipedia.
:angry::angry::angry:
Teacake2

watford wizz
14-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Feel it's a very sad day for childminding as think agencies will lower standards for children if individual childminders are not inspected. I remember and worked through the days prior inspection and it was not good. Will fight to the end to stay independent !!

watgem
16-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Hector were you at the conference in Taunton yesterday? they're still not giving out much info on agencies at all are they?

hectors house
17-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Hector were you at the conference in Taunton yesterday? they're still not giving out much info on agencies at all are they?

Yes it was me who who asked everyone in the room to put their hands up if they would be joining an Agency - and when no-one did, Lorraine Davey said it was unfair to put people on the spot - errr no, that was the response - no-one will be joining an Agency!

What workshops did you do, I did the "It's not just baby talk" with Penny Tassoni and then the Outdoor Play one - I did wonder if you were there - I did say to another childminder that I forgotten to contact you before the conference to arrange to meet up, she said "We can look at everyones badges, whats her name" - I said "I only know her as Watgem" we were rebels and wrote "Frome Independent Childminders" on our badges!

leeanne910
17-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Luckily the LA i live in isnt trialing agencies and they dont want them.

Im clinging to hope. I worked for 4children in childrens centres which last i heard they lost lots.of tendars last time round...so what do they do next? Try something new! And.probably fluff up at some point. So. Im just hoping as i know 4children are fab at inspiring.new.ideas.and good.on paper. Not so good practically!

Sooooo....im hoping agencies.just go.wrong and people moan about them sooooooo they end.up going before they begin :)

Simona
17-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Yes it was me who who asked everyone in the room to put their hands up if they would be joining an Agency - and when no-one did, Lorraine Davey said it was unfair to put people on the spot - errr no, that was the response - no-one will be joining an Agency!

What workshops did you do, I did the "It's not just baby talk" with someone Tassoni and then the Outdoor Play one - I did wonder if you were there - I did say to another childminder that I forgotten to contact you before the conference to arrange to meet up, she said "We can look at everyones badges, whats her name" - I said "I only know her as Watgem" we were rebels and wrote "Frome Independent Childminders" on our badges!

HH....Would that be Penny Tassoni...president of Pacey?

I do not think that any savvy Cm would join an agency without knowing first what they are joining...who runs the agency...the quality of the staff ...the package on offer to them...the cost of the membership...and much more including how agency will be able to provide them with work and match them to the family from heaven?
I also hope parents will be weary of this very vague promise
What we do not have is any info on the 'conditions' put on cms to join the trials?

Some cms have decided they will join even before the C&F Act has come out or Her Majesty signature dried on paper but there is always time to withdraw, I also feel these cms have decided possibly out of frustration at the current reforms, ever increasing paperwork, mystery and constant changes
I also believe that a cm can join and then come out of an agency...at the moment that is....we need to see that in black and white and what conditions the agencies impose to withdraw from their membership

Truss has gone through a lot of pain to stress current established Cms do not have to join because agencies are for new cms and to attract high calibre people...even then only if they wish to join as it is not compulsory to do so for a new cm...that will have to be seen depending on the LAs and what happens to them in the new Childcare Act?

Watgem...many keep saying that we do not have a lot of info on agencies....agencies are self funding so the govt has limited its scope there...there is information out there
You may remember when Truss was asked about the 20 trials...she said she was unable to give info because the 20 had asked for confidentiality...there is the answer

I have been saying all along...watch the LAs ...that is where all will evolve but I also think we need to put our efforts in supporting our associations and being proactive in them...that is where we will have to build our support in future

hectors house
17-03-2014, 09:14 AM
HH....Would that be someone Tassoni...president of Pacey?

I do not think that any savvy Cm would join an agency without knowing first what they are joining...who runs the agency...the quality of the staff ...the package on offer to them...the cost of the membership...and much more including how agency will be able to provide them with work and match them to the family from heaven?
I also hope parents will be weary of this very vague promise
What we do not have is any info on the 'conditions' put on cms to join the trials?

Some cms have decided they will join even before the C&F Act has come out or Her Majesty signature dried on paper but there is always time to withdraw, I also feel these cms have decided possibly out of frustration at the current reforms, ever increasing paperwork, mystery and constant changes
I also believe that a cm can join and then come out of an agency...at the moment that is....we need to see that in black and white and what conditions the agencies impose to withdraw from their membership

Truss has gone through a lot of pain to stress current established Cms do not have to join because agencies are for new cms and to attract high calibre people...even then only if they wish to join as it is not compulsory to do so for a new cm...that will have to be seen depending on the LAs and what happens to them in the new Childcare Act?

Watgem...many keep saying that we do not have a lot of info on agencies....agencies are self funding so the govt has limited its scope there...there is information out there
You may remember when Truss was asked about the 20 trials...she said she was unable to give info because the 20 had asked for confidentiality...there is the answer

I have been saying all along...watch the LAs ...that is where all will evolve but I also think we need to put our efforts in supporting our associations and being proactive in them...that is where we will have to build our support in future

Yes it was Penny Tassoni - I don't know why I put "someone" I knew her name, I must have been going to write something else and got side tracked Sorry Penny Tassoni, author of many child development books and president of PACEY!