PDA

View Full Version : Playing on my mind!! What would you do?

amylouise867
12-03-2014, 08:53 PM
I am faced with a horrible situation and I don't know if I should report this or even if it's worth reporting?!

I was out in my car today and basically a middle aged, lady deliberately ran out into the road with the hope that I would hit her!! I was doing 30mph and at the last min she ran across the road and into my path and just paused.

She stopped in front of my car and braced herself ready to be hit.

I slammed my breaks on and by 2-3 inches max I managed to avoid hitting her.

She looked me in the eyes with no emotion, no reaction, said absolutely nothing and walked off looking down at the floor.

without her knowing I decided to follow where she was going. She went into 1 of 6 potential terraced houses 3 roads apart from where she ran out at me (couldn't see exact one because of parked vans and cars)

What should I do :( xx

shortstuff
12-03-2014, 08:55 PM
have you thought of calling the non emergency police number? the lady might need some psychiatric help and doesn't know where to turn

cathtee
12-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I agree with Shortstuff, at least if the police know that this lady is doing this and does it to someone else and they are not able to stop and do knock her down it would help them to know that it wasn't the drivers fault if you see what I mean.

I hope that you have been able to get over the shock of what happened and that you anyone with you are ok.

lisbet
12-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I agree with Shortstuff, at least if the police know that this lady is doing this and does it to someone else and they are not able to stop and do knock her down it would help them to know that it wasn't the drivers fault if you see what I mean.

I hope that you have been able to get over the shock of what happened and that you anyone with you are ok.

This ^ and :group hug:

SYLVIA
12-03-2014, 09:09 PM
What a horrible situation for you to witness. I would inform the police of what happened even if it's just to help you to feel that you have tried to help her.

Mouse
12-03-2014, 09:10 PM
You poor thing. That must have been so frightening for you.

I agree with others. Phone the police non-emergency number for advice.

Tulip
12-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Poor you, that must have been really scary, sending hugs x

clareelizabeth1
12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Definitely tell the police. I have heard of people doing this for the pay out they would get for you hitting them so you must tell the police encase someone isn't as good at their emergency stop as you are. She may also need help herself as you said she showed no emotion.

Glad you managed to stop and hope your feeling better now.

amylouise867
13-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Hey all

Just come back to update-

I took your advice and feel 100% better for it.

I called 101 and reported the incident.

I said it's playing on my mind as I am just so concerned for her well being.

She said you may well be right don't get me wrong but in today's society it would more than likely have been the hope of a hefty insurance claim.

What is strange is - there was another lady walking with a young child who would have seen it happen and she didn't react either - they casually spoke as they passed each other and then carried on walking the ways they were going. Makes me wonder if it was a set up now?! 'The eye witness?'

There was also a car that came emerging from the opposite side road as soon as id slammed my breaks on and the breaks went screeching. The drivers facial expression was abit suspicious as if they were expecting to see something as were shocked to not have - 'another witness?'

Who knows.

I've had a lucky escape possibly?!

Some horrible people in this world if that's what really is going on though!!!

I would never have lived with myself if I would have knocked her down!!

Just shows you you never know what's around that corner!!!

Thanks all for taking your time to comment and be supportive - it's helped more than you will know!!! xxxx

shortstuff
13-03-2014, 05:34 AM
Glad you are ok n not too shaken now

smurfette
13-03-2014, 07:27 AM
That does sound weird.. Also poor kid who was with the other lady, they would have been scarred for life watching someone being knocked down! Are police going to try and track her down?

tess1981
13-03-2014, 07:37 AM
As soon as I started to read this I thought claim scam.... There has been so many. Hope you are feeling better. X

amylouise867
13-03-2014, 08:37 AM
That does sound weird.. Also poor kid who was with the other lady, they would have been scarred for life watching someone being knocked down! Are police going to try and track her down?

No lol

Although I did give them 1 in 6 houses they could find her.

She just said if something like this happens again it will flag this case up on their system.

She said we have address' that have lots of logs on them for one reason or another but there's no logs what so ever for these address'

I guess with how much other rubbish is going on 24/7 this isn't worth their time for now - although it could stop a fatality - what if I had a heart condition or it was someone elderly? - if it was 'a blames a claim' they're not the sort that would even consider that!! xxxx

amylouise867
13-03-2014, 08:38 AM
As soon as I started to read this I thought claim scam.... There has been so many. Hope you are feeling better. X

Did you really??

Wow - I'm suprized it never crossed my mind till the lady on the phone said xx

caz3007
13-03-2014, 10:25 AM
How awful if it's a scam and as she appeared to know the other woman. How awful for anyone that hits her. Even if the driver knew it was deliberate, they would still most likely be traumatised

tess1981
13-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Did you really??

Wow - I'm suprized it never crossed my mind till the lady on the phone said xx

I have read about many of these... One were a group are in a car and they remove bulbs from brake light you are following behind them they slam on brakes you have no warning lights you slam into back of them they ALL claim as car is full....
It was how she described the lady lowering her head after that set the alarm bells

amylouise867
13-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I have read about many of these... One were a group are in a car and they remove bulbs from brake light you are following behind them they slam on brakes you have no warning lights you slam into back of them they ALL claim as car is full.... It was how she described the lady lowering her head after that set the alarm bells

Oh gosh really.

It horrible though you get paranoid and think everyone's suspicious and planning something after things like this happen.

I popped out this morning and every pedestrian I was like a hawk lol and then I popped to Matalan and there was a woman selecting some children's tights off the sale rail and I was thinking I wonder if she's up to something lol lol lol :)

I'm sure it will pass lol :) xxxx

Maza
13-03-2014, 12:45 PM
How awful for you. Horrid, and frightening how anyone could do such a thing. x

AliceK
13-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Are people so stupid as to put their own lives at risk in order to get some money???? She would have no idea how quick the driver may brake and how hard the car would hit her. She could easily be killed or seriously hurt (brain / spine injury / lose a limb etc). That much risk just for some money??? Madness, pure madness :panic:

hectors house
13-03-2014, 01:49 PM
How horrible for you that someone whether they were trying to kill themselves or trying to make a quick buck from your insurance would put someone else through this terrible experience - even if it were for an insurance claim if you hadn't seen her and had hit her at 30 mph she still could have been killed. Maybe if the police aren't interested you could still write a letter to your local paper for them to publish to warn other motorists and hopefully scare off these people from trying this scam again.

A friend of ours recently ran over a drunk who staggered into the side of his truck, snapping off the mirror which then swung round and damaged the vehicle, he then fell under the back wheel resulting in a badly broken leg - our friend was completely innocent and very upset by the whole thing - the police have finally decided to drop the case after 5 months of worry.

tess1981
13-03-2014, 01:50 PM
How horrible for you that someone whether they were trying to kill themselves or trying to make a quick buck from your insurance would put someone else through this terrible experience - even if it were for an insurance claim if you hadn't seen her and had hit her at 30 mph she still could have been killed. Maybe if the police aren't interested you could still write a letter to your local paper for them to publish to warn other motorists and hopefully scare off these people from trying this scam again.

A friend of ours recently ran over a drunk who staggered into the side of his truck, snapping off the mirror which then swung round and damaged the vehicle, he then fell under the back wheel resulting in a badly broken leg - our friend was completely innocent and very upset by the whole thing - the police have finally decided to drop the case after 5 months of worry.

Agree with the letter... Make others aware.

LG2014
13-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Oh my what a horrible situation for you! :(

We been warned of few scams here one is where a car in front quickly slams on brakes and you crash into them and other are cars signal to let you turn in but then crash into you and claim they didn't signal you could turn.

Other is cyclists - some are scamming drivers by riding out of no where straight into cars! Just to claim!

It ridiculous what some people resort too!

Hope you ok! X

amylouise867
15-03-2014, 11:20 PM
How horrible for you that someone whether they were trying to kill themselves or trying to make a quick buck from your insurance would put someone else through this terrible experience - even if it were for an insurance claim if you hadn't seen her and had hit her at 30 mph she still could have been killed. Maybe if the police aren't interested you could still write a letter to your local paper for them to publish to warn other motorists and hopefully scare off these people from trying this scam again. A friend of ours recently ran over a drunk who staggered into the side of his truck, snapping off the mirror which then swung round and damaged the vehicle, he then fell under the back wheel resulting in a badly broken leg - our friend was completely innocent and very upset by the whole thing - the police have finally decided to drop the case after 5 months of worry.

Gosh I had never even thought about writing to the paper.

I will have to look into it - great idea to warn others!!

Thanks for the recommendation!! xxx

FloraDora
15-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Reading this, I just feel for you and the person who ' wanted you to not brake'. Can you imagine how low/ at the end of your tether you might be to risk being run over for a claim! what is this person thinking now? Failure? When should I try it again? I want to get cross at ' claim world' but my heart just goes out to folks who are so low they feel this is a way out!

..and to you, who had to deal with it..

What a world we live in !!!!

The Juggler
16-03-2014, 10:49 AM
OMG how awful for you honey. hope that lady gets some help soon xx