PDA

View Full Version : Throwing toys indoors rule?

Hatchlings
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
A quick one i have a lad who is 7 yrs old he likes to throw anything & everything around my home from a football that he found for outside play to the tennis ball sent home from school to practice catching for sport relief event friday He wont stop as mum lets him at his she said if he breaks something it comes out his pocket money I explained that if he managed to hit the tv we got as a present for xmas for the family it may take a while to replace it her reply cover the tv when he here am i wrong to have a rule of no throwing toys inside ? as the little ones are copying & there parents are not as pleased ( ps i did tell the mum this she said they need to learn to relax she hates rules they have NON in there home at all help

mama2three
11-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Your home , your rules.
If she doesn't like it then she can find somewhere else.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I would not be dictated to in that way . Nor would I tell mum about other parents comments - it would simply be that x y and z are not accepted behaviour whilst child is here , no arguments.

Mouse
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Your home , your rules.
If she doesn't like it then she can find somewhere else.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I would not be dictated to in that way . Nor would I tell mum about other parents comments - it would simply be that x y and z are not accepted behaviour whilst child is here , no arguments.

I agree with this completely.

You do not have to let mum dictate to you just because she pays you. No way would I let a 7 year old throw things in the house, least of all a ball.

Make it clear that it is your house with your rules. Don't feel you have to justify yourself by blaming other parents, or wanting to protect your valuable items. Simply say "at my house we do not throw anything indoors". Stand up for yourself once and you'll be surprised how easy it is to do it again :thumbsup:

sing-low
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Agree: your house, your rules. IMO it's good for children to learn that rules may be different in different places. Also, it's not just about breaking things, another child could be hurt.

shortstuff
11-03-2014, 05:43 PM
My house my rules too. Throwing is an outside activity here. I would do as someone else suggested and just tell mum that there are rules in your house. They are not only to protect your possessions but all other individuals within your setting.

SYLVIA
11-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Totally agree. It's written in my house rules and all parents are aware that toys are not thrown in my house incase the toys or something gets broken or somebody gets hurt. I would be coming down quite hard on a 7 year old that can't or won't follow simple rules.

hectors house
12-03-2014, 07:43 AM
It is sometimes hard for toddlers to follow a no throwing rule for inside as they act on impulse but I would certainly expect a 7 year old to obey. Have you got a hall or utility room where you could put a basket and give him soft balls or rolled up socks to practice throwing them? - either that or now the weather is better, send him out to the garden.

At Christmas I hung glass baubles in my lounge window - they were out of reach of all children, but then a 4 year old who should know better but who has got a throwing schema, threw a soft toy and it hit the bauble into the upvc frame of the window and it smashed everywhere - I was just pleased that it went in that direction as it could have easily hit a treasured ornament off the fire place.