PDA

View Full Version : Husband already has DBS through work

joannes
10-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Bit of a random questions but thought I'd see if anyone had similar experience. I'm currently STILL going through the process of registration. In December I emailed Ofsted (can never get through on the phone!) to ask whether my husband would need a new DBS. He's a bus driver so has to have one for work and it was done in November. They emailed saying that if it had been done for the purpose of Ofsted it was valid. They didn't really say yes or no either way. After looking into the DBS process a bit more I discovered that the whole point of it is that you won't need more than one (like the old style CRB's) for each place as if you're registered then in theory any company/employer etc should be able to use your DBS number and access the database with it all on so husband's DBS should be perfectly acceptable to Ofsted as it's up to date and cross-agency. When your DBS's come through what do you do next? I can't find any email/paperwork with it on, do I photocopy and send it to them or email them my DBS number? My thinking is that if I send husband's off to them if they have any issues it won't be another hold up in this ridiculously long process and I can discuss it with them/my husband's employer. Was wondering if anyone else had had this with either their own/partner's existing DBS.

FussyElmo
10-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Bit of a random questions but thought I'd see if anyone had similar experience. I'm currently STILL going through the process of registration. In December I emailed Ofsted (can never get through on the phone!) to ask whether my husband would need a new DBS. He's a bus driver so has to have one for work and it was done in November. They emailed saying that if it had been done for the purpose of Ofsted it was valid. They didn't really say yes or no either way. After looking into the DBS process a bit more I discovered that the whole point of it is that you won't need more than one (like the old style CRB's) for each place as if you're registered then in theory any company/employer etc should be able to use your DBS number and access the database with it all on so husband's DBS should be perfectly acceptable to Ofsted as it's up to date and cross-agency. When your DBS's come through what do you do next? I can't find any email/paperwork with it on, do I photocopy and send it to them or email them my DBS number? My thinking is that if I send husband's off to them if they have any issues it won't be another hold up in this ridiculously long process and I can discuss it with them/my husband's employer. Was wondering if anyone else had had this with either their own/partner's existing DBS.

Has he paid for the update service - I think its £13 a year if no then its not transferrable and you will have to pay again

More information here

https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service

joannes
10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Thank you. I would assume his work have as surely it wouldn't make sense for them to have to pay £50 odd a time if they could just pay the £13 update would it? I guess he'll have to check with them.

covgalxxx
10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
I just had my pre-reg visit , my son moved out so never did a DBS ,and she said I have to class him as a visiter at all times when he comes down for a week and if he came back or wants longer visits then he needs a DBS , I said to her where he lives he loves church and wants to help out more for young ppl, so I asked if I paid for his DBS through childminding can he use it there and the answer was no he has to have another one, so what a waste he will still have to pay for 2,, so a lot of money to spend cause ofsted like there own..

Emra81
10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
I've got an awful feeling you'll have to pay hun....I applied to ofsted last May having only had my DBS updated in the January as a primary school teacher and because it hadn't been requested by ofsted (obviously it was done by my school) I had to have it redone. Luckily for me that was back when you didn't have to pay but they were absolutely adamant that my teacher DBS didn't count even though it's an enhanced DBS the same as the ofsted one and had been updated recently. My school weren't going to bother with the update service as it's £13 a year per person but they don't pay full price on the checks anyway as they request so many so get a bulk deal. I think the update service is more for people who request their own check and then move between jobs e.g. youth football coaches. But I could well have completely gotten the wrong end of the stick!

AND my hubby had just joined the police in the March so he had an even more recent DBS as well as a million other checks that they do on police officers and he still had to have another one through ofsted. Even if your dh's company pay for the update service, ofsted still might not accept it....but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

tulip0803
10-03-2014, 01:32 PM
My husband is a bus driver and he has to do another one tomorrow. The one he had done last year was done through the local council and they do not pay the £13 a year. The person that the DBS is for has to pay the £13 per year renewal and sign up within 14 days of receiving it. It is still in the change over from CRB to DBS and more and more companies are making it the employees responsibility to pay for the DBS.

joannes
11-03-2014, 10:29 PM
What a money making racket! Can't believe people are not able to transfer them that was the whole point of replacing the old style CRB! That means that you end up paying so much more than you ever did with the old CRBs as I think they were £36. If you're having to pay £50 odd for more than one place and then £13 a year for each of those its extortion. So mad that they don't make this clearer as all my research on DBS's has led to me concluding that if you pay for the subscription it should be accepted anywhere. Think this is the one thing that has annoyed me the most about the whole process, it takes a lot but there is just no sense in it. And is there any legislation that states we HAVE to pay for the subscription service instead of treating the DBS like the old-style CRB and once it's done its done?

amelia lilly
19-03-2014, 04:06 PM
i think its wrong that your 16 year old child needs 1 when they are a child and you know there record its just a money making thing