PDA

View Full Version : Start up costs crossing tax years help

Bip1982
03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me.

I started the process of becoming a childminder in January 2013 but only got registered in February 2014. Some of the more significant costs associated with the process were in the beginning of 2013 ( i.e. the council's child minding course, the first aid course etc.). I will have income for the month of March and end of February (As I received my grant in Feb).

Do I just ignore the original start up costs and just put down in my spread sheet (I've downloaded the one from here that a member kindly shared) costs incurred for child minding purposes from April 2013 as it won't make much difference as I won't have earned enough in the year to reach my personal allowance regardless. I have not worked since August 2012 when I left my job to be a stay at home mum.

Does that sound right to you? Sorry for the daft question, i've never had to do this sort of thing before.

thank you in advance
xx

tulip0803
03-03-2014, 11:18 PM
All your start-up costs can go through on the first day of actual childminding no matter what year they are from. Just add them all together and put on the first line of your accounts. Put your start-up receipts together in an envelope marked "start-up costs" and keep with your accounts:)

My start-up straddled 2 tax years and I asked the tax office about it

Bip1982
13-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Thank you so much for that :)

Chatterbox Childcare
13-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Yes put in everything relating to childminding and you will probably make a loss. this loss you can use against any profit made in the 14/15 tax year.