PDA

View Full Version : Completly confused :s

gembo
02-03-2014, 05:06 AM
If you can't be a child minder until you've become oftsed registered what do they test you on without the job? I don't understand ....do you start every thing up, get the children and the apply to be oftsed ONCe you have a child ? I'm so confused!

FussyElmo
02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
They will do a pre registration visit first. Where they will check your house and see what you know about the eyfs etc.

Then 6 months after you get you first inspection where you will get your grading :thumbsup:

blue bear
02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Youdo the courses,apply to ofsted with DBS medicals etc then get a pre reg inspection then you can sign children up.

Kiddleywinks
02-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Your pre reg is more to confirm you and your home is suitable, that you have done all your courses, and that you have an understanding of what you need to do - safeguarding, planning, record keeping, etc

Once you have been registered for 6 months you will receive a call to arrange your first graded inspection, if you have children in the EYFS age group, you will have paperwork for them to inspect (starting points, planning, Early Years Outcomes etc), if you haven't got any children yet they will defer your inspection until you do.

Your local authority early years team will be able to guide and support you through the process if you give them a call :thumbsup:

gembo
02-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Oh so once I've done the courses set by the LA I need to do my CBC checks / medical etc and then I can apply for my pre registration visit and after that's been done can take on children? Then 6 months or so after that I shall have my first inspection? Have I got that right? X

Are hit hey normally quite quick at coming for the pre reg visit ? As loads of people have said oftsed are so slow!

Many thanks
X

tulip0803
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
After your pre-reg visit you cannot start childminding until you receive your Registration Certificate. Which can take up to 6 weeks after the visit depending on how quickly the inspector submits their report to OFSTED.

Timing varies - it can take anything from 3 months to 1 year to register. It isn't always a quick process and nagging them can sometimes help.

Kiddleywinks
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I agree with Tulip, timings vary.

I started the process in the January (made the decision), April the 12 week LA course started (had just missed the previous one), once completed it was CRB (now DBS) check, medical questionnaire. Once they came back the call to arrange the pre reg visit (only waited a couple of weeks for the visit) and was finally registered in December.

My certificate took less than a week to arrive, my first mindee then took another 6 months! so had to defer my grading inspection, which finally happened 18 months after that!

gembo
02-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Thank you for your help that's answered a lot! :)