PDA

View Full Version : Emergency cards advice please!

Rubybaby
16-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Ok, now I'm really confused!
I've been carrying around a copy of each child's record form with me in my bag in case of any emergency, and also have the little PACEY id cards (one for me and one for each of the parents), but after reading lots of posts about this here, I think I'm overdoing it a bit!
Now I've discovered Sarah's fab printable emergency cards in the free downloads, I intend to use those instead of the child record form , but is the child's first name sufficient, and would you include parents first name or surname or both (or just say Mummy or Daddy )?
Also, I'm sure I read that we have to CARRY signed parental permission for Emergency treatment, which is why I use the child record form, but is this still the case, or am I in breach of confidentiality by using it?
Just pondering about the inclusion of mindees photo on cards, too....not sure on this one either...seems some of us do and some don't!
Sorry about the long post...just trying to get my head around all the issues, and would be grateful for any thoughts. xx

Chatterbox Childcare
16-02-2014, 01:26 AM
If you take a child for emergency treatment the person treating has an obligation to the child so I can't see why you would actually have to have the permission on you.

I don't have any child details on me, I just have a card saying "I am a childminder and there may be children with me who are not mine". In case of emergency please contact ... The emrgency contact has all my children's details.

I think we can over think this sometimes - what is enough, what isn't. Do I keep the childs details in my phone etc...

Only thing I have picked up over the years is to have ICE (in case of emergency) in your phone as any emergency services will look for this if you are in an accident or unable to do it yourself

chriss
16-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Have looked in the downloads and cant see it. Whats the heading please ?

Glitter
16-02-2014, 10:35 AM
I just have a piece of paper in my first aid kit (a small one I keep in my bag). It has child's first name, parent's first name and phone numbers.

Like Chatterbox I have an ICE number in my phone. Hopefully in an emergency they would call it and my husband would explain how to contact parents.I think it is hard to decide how much information to carry round, but I decided to keep it to a minimum as if I lost my bag all the children's information would be available to whoever found it.

We don't need to carry permission for medical treatment, if we seek emergency medical advice for a child the doctors would treat them with or with out it.

chriss
16-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Ahh found it :)

rickysmiths
16-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Personally I don't think the emergency services would think to look for information in a first aid box, just my view.

I carry a very small 3"x4" photo album which has a copy of each of the children's record forms with the days and times they are normally with me written on it and I have a photo of the child as well so each could be identified as well. All the children when they get old enough know I carry my blue book with me and they know it has Mummy and Daddies etc phone numbers on.

I only have a very basic £12 mobile which I have ICE on but that is my dh number however if he were contacted he would know about my blue book as well.

My parents have a credit card sized laminated card with my contact, dh contact details and with the names and addresses and phone numbers of my two emergency carers so they can carry it with them

I no longer have consent for emergency medical care. It is no longer required under EYFS and was a nonsense anyway. If a parent had ever refused to consent to it I would have refused to care for their child. I would be negligent if I didn't seek care if needed and if that was a doctor or hospital they would take responsibility for the child until the parents arrived anyway, I am not a relative so am of no significance to them in any decision making process.

*daisychain*
16-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Regarding the ICE. Most peoples phone , including mine has a pass code on it , so the emergency services would not have access to it : /

rickysmiths
16-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Regarding the ICE. Most peoples phone , including mine has a pass code on it , so the emergency services would not have access to it : /

Then maybe it is all the more important that you do as I do and carry the contact info in written form. I have all my emergency contact numbers for me in the front of my book and when my children were still at school I had their names, schools and numbers as well.

*daisychain*
16-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I carry mine on me to, I do like the idea of having a timetable of who is with me on each day, saves sorting through them all each time I leave the house. Shall put that on my ever growing "to do" list.

bunyip
16-02-2014, 05:19 PM
An awful lot of people remove the locking number on their mobile phones or stick with the default number (usually 1234, occasionally 00000000, or the last 4 digits of their mobile number.)

When I was on the railways, we managed to trace the owners of nearly 90% of lost/stolen phones by unlocking them, looking up 'ICE' or 'Mum' in the directory, and getting a message to the owner that way to come and collect it. :thumbsup:

Btw, I make my own emergency cards and emergency consent forms. The latter aren't essential as the medics are going to treat an injured child with or without the forms. I carry them as additional proof of consent and so as to have extra information such as allergies, parents' numbers, etc. all in one place. Mine include the children's photos, just in case I'm incapacitated in the same accident.

curly
16-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't like to remove my pass code or use an easy to work out number as that is my security to keep the info on my phone secure should I lose it (until I realise it's lost then I'll use my app to wipe my phone clear) I store photos of the children (until transferred to my computer), observations in note form on the note pad (only using initials) and parents' contact details which are all confidential.

You can get an ice app where you put the details in and it's turned into a photo as your front screen, the only downside is your ice number is accessible all the time by someone just waking you phone up but it's there in an emergency.

cathtee
16-02-2014, 06:51 PM
I have mine on Sarah's cards, they each have the childs photo on and emergency numbers for them and me also allergies. I have them on a key ring ring on a pass thingy which I put around my neck on outings or in the side of nappy change bag, all the lo's know I have them I also have ice in my phone with no passcode on it. so far not needed them but they are there just in case.:thumbsup:

Rubybaby
17-02-2014, 12:45 AM
I have mine on Sarah's cards, they each have the childs photo on and emergency numbers for them and me also allergies. I have them on a key ring ring on a pass thingy which I put around my neck on outings or in the side of nappy change bag, all the lo's know I have them I also have ice in my phone with no passcode on it. so far not needed them but they are there just in case.:thumbsup:

Thank you for all your replies, and sorry if I've repeated questions that have appeared in other posts.You've certainly given me some food for thought...I usually end up overthinking everything and stressing over it all, and it's good to hear other views!
I'll be giving Sarah's cards a try,which , coupled with ICE on my phone, seems to cover all the bases...still not sure about photos but will most likely use them (I can almost hear my mum saying 'Better Safe than Sorry'!).xxx