PDA

View Full Version : Am i fiddling tax

munch149
08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Basically at the end of the tax year I claim for all the things I should like percentage of rent, bills etc. As the bills and rent come out of my partners account is this wrong? Someone said to me that it is but I don't see this as wrong as it is still our outgoings and I contribute to this plus the bills and things are still higher because I childminding. Help?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-02-2014, 06:26 PM
NO you are not fiddling - it is fine

munch149
08-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Great thanks I suddenly had a bit of a panic

cathtee
08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I've always claimed for mine too but I must admit I wasn't sure, Thanks for asking the question and Thanks Chatterbox for answering :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-02-2014, 08:29 PM
this is just my view - always check with the HMRC or your accountant to be sure

MAWI
08-02-2014, 10:45 PM
My hubby pays the utilities but it it taken from a joint account and for this house, so assume its ok.

bunyip
09-02-2014, 09:16 AM
The spouse/other half/CDS/etc. may pay, but it's ok to put them through your expenses. It's because you and your partner are "jointly and severally liable" for the bill. In short, that means if s/he doesn't pay, the utility company will hold you liable even if you are not the listed account holder, cos the charge is on the property where you are resident.

I'm assuming in this context "partner" refers to a personal relationship, and not a business partnership, yes? :huh:

munch149
09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm assuming in this context "partner" refers to a personal relationship, and not a business partnership, yes? :huh:[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming the same would apply in both situations

bunyip
09-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm assuming in this context "partner" refers to a personal relationship, and not a business partnership, yes? :huh:

I'm assuming the same would apply in both situations[/QUOTE]

.......er...........yes...........quite.

:doh:

......not sure if that makes me thick or just nosey. :p

k-tots
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
As oh has a more steady income...all bills go through his aacoount...is a graduate account so can not become a joint yet. ....but I have put all the usual percentage of household bils through my tax bill.....I see it as I use the gas electric water etc then to give give something back to the household I take it off my tax bill x...I think also im named on most of the bills but as he pays they are in his name iyswim x

munch149
09-02-2014, 11:39 AM
At least I'm not the only one that does it this way then