PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice wording

Taz74
07-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi all,

It is with regret that I am having to give notice to my 1st mindee. He is 8 and has been with me since Sep. Unfortunately things have not worked out as he requires constant attention that is being taken away from my other mindee children (who are all under 3). Initially I had him from 7 to 9 am and 3.30 to 6.30pm everyday. This had a huge impact on my own sons (5 and 2) and as a result of the constant arguing and bickering I told mum that the evenings were no longer an option. She managed to get her mum to collect him from the after school club 2 nights a week (nan finished at 3.30 but didn't collect him till 6) and I had him 3 nights a week. Eventually I told mum that the evenings were not improving despite being now 3 times a week. I helped her search high and low for new childcare, asking around, looking for babysitters/nannies, getting my childminding support officer involved and all sorts. Eventually work allowed her to leave early enough to collect him at 6 from the after school club. At no time did she thank me for my help.

I thought that the mornings would not be too bad, but the arguing with my son was daily and the constant need to be entertained became very wareing and I started to hate my starts to the day. Then recently he answered me back in front of another parent and refused to do something outright. I told mum and I had no apology from her but that she would talk to him. In the morning mum made him apologise and said she didn't think things were working out. I was so thankful as I had been thinking for a while to give notice. Mum said she had a lot on her plate and said her mum could take him in the mornings 2 days a week. Those 2 days were bliss. Everything was so peaceful and serene and I could focus on all my littlies. I didn't realise how stressed I was getting. I told mum today that in light of the past few days I have decided to give notice. It would start at the end of the month and it would end during the Easter break. I thought I was being fair by giving her nearly 10 weeks but she walked away from me and over her shoulder she said after all she had done...

Now to cut a very long story short, I have written a letter giving notice and I am hoping that it acceptable. Please let me know if it isn't!

Dear xxx

It is with regret that I am giving notice to terminate our contract.

I feel that xxx has outgrown, what is predominantly an early years setting and will benefit more being with children of a similar age with similar interests.

I understand that finding care has not been easy and I assure you the decision has not been taken lightly. Although 4 weeks notice is normally given, I would like to help by making the last day of the contract to be Friday the 18th of April 2014. Hopefully in that time you will have been able to sort suitable care.

I wish you and xxx all the very best for the future.

Kind regards

smurfette
07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Heya hugs for you, had something similar and didn't handle it half as well as you, but in the end it is so much more peaceful! Letter sounds grand to me, you have already told her verbally so don't stress too much about it, she may take hump and pull him out sooner if she can get sorted but that just means uou get peace quicker! You have bent over backwards and are being more than fair giving that much notice xx

Taz74
07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Thank you Murphf, for your support. I felt so guilty but soooo relieved that I have done it. I feel that there is now light at the end of the tunnel...:jump for joy:

smurfette
07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Thank you Murphf, for your support. I felt so guilty but soooo relieved that I have done it. I feel that there is now light at the end of the tunnel...:jump for joy:

Amazing feeling isn't it?!!

VeggieSausage
07-02-2014, 04:52 PM
letter was fine i thought.....

ziggy
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
personally i would just give 4 weeks notice

Koala
07-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Great letter - well written - you are very tolerant and patient.

You could probably add :D p.s. From your recent comments and attitude I am not surprised your son is so ill mannered, rude and argumentative if he has you for a role model. :D

Mummits
07-02-2014, 06:30 PM
I think I would add, after the bit about finding suitable care ...and indeed if it is more convenient to you to put new arrangements in place sooner, I will be content to bring forward the end date of our contract.

Can but hope:D

Taz74
07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Great letter - well written - you are very tolerant and patient.

You could probably add :D p.s. From your recent comments and attitude I am not surprised your son is so ill mannered, rude and argumentative if he has you for a role model. :D

Awfully tempting, but alas no (just in my head as I hand her the letter ;))

Taz74
07-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I think I would add, after the bit about finding suitable care ...and indeed if it is more convenient to you to put new arrangements in place sooner, I will be content to bring forward the end date of our contract.

Can but hope:D

Thank you, this is terrific, I will definitely add this! The sooner this contract ends the better :jump for joy:

miffy
07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Personally I would just give the four weeks (or whatever period is in your contract) notice.

I know you are trying to help by giving her plenty of time to find alternative care but Easter is a long time away if mum takes this badly and is unpleasant towards you - really you have no obligation to this family over and above the notice period in the contract and if the boot were on the other foot mum probably wouldn't think twice about whether she'd given you enough notice.

I hope whatever you decide the next few weeks go quickly for you.

Miffy xx

Taz74
08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Personally I would just give the four weeks (or whatever period is in your contract) notice.

I know you are trying to help by giving her plenty of time to find alternative care but Easter is a long time away if mum takes this badly and is unpleasant towards you - really you have no obligation to this family over and above the notice period in the contract and if the boot were on the other foot mum probably wouldn't think twice about whether she'd given you enough notice.

I hope whatever you decide the next few weeks go quickly for you.

Miffy xx

The problem is I have already told her verbally to soften the blow (not that did very much I might add...) Would it not make the already an awkward situation become worse?

I have now added that she can take him out sooner if she wishes. I think this is not likely as she needs to inform work if she can't find childcare ie give them 4 weeks notice. So by giving her some extra time this allows her to find alternative care or she will have to hand her notice in. Also half term is a weeks time and then the holidays, I only have him in term time and in total 6 weeks.

Fingers crossed she'll take him out sooner. I didn't realise how unpleasant this could all be :(

sing-low
08-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Yes, if you've said it, probably best not to enforce the four weeks notice this time. It'll only make a bad situation worse. Feel for you, hugs.

k1rstie
08-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Well done, it must be a great weight off your mind. I would suggest getting a replacement who is younger than your oldest son.

My oldest had problems when a had a child older than she, and she was bossed about! Your own child needs to be the boss in your house, and not be bossed about by mindees! Remember at the end of the day, your children live in your home.

JueQ
08-02-2014, 11:41 PM
I had something very similar. Gave the child and parents chance after chance until I had no choice. Gave 4 wks notice and found another childminder for them. After 6 mths they were begging to come back. Said no. Never felt so good! Life was horrible. Had previously told parents in person and confirmed it in writing for then so kept it simple. Hope things work out. Don't forget Pacey contracts - immediate get out if they step out of line. You owe them nothing - including 4wks notice. Read your contracts if not sure if speak to legal team.

Taz74
09-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your support. I felt I was doing somthing wrong and not supportive enough but listening to everyone I know now that I am not at fault here.

I have also learnt that I should stick with the under 5's or at least those younger than my eldest. Bless him, he's been through so much too :(

It has been really tough, but am happy that I have made the decision and stuck to it.:D

Mum emailed me today and asked what would happen to payments at the end of the month and to her deposit, hopefully this means she is thinking of taking him out sooner (fingers crossed!):jump for joy:

smurfette
09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Sounds like she might be, hope she leaves soon! Good luck

tas
09-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Letter sounds good :)

I think you are being very understanding and thoughtful by offering to work such a long notice period

Taz74
09-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Mum has just now informed me that she wants notice to be 4 weeks as contracted because she has to show the benefits agency that she has to quit her job to look after her child.

It was not of her choosing to resign, in effect, she was forced to make that choice.:mad:

smurfette
09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Ah let her dress it up anyway she wants, you know the truth., maybe she was looking for excuse to give up she surely could have found some kind of care if she gave it chance.. Sure it's only a few days since uou gave her notice isn't it?!

Koala
09-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Mum has just now informed me that she wants notice to be 4 weeks as contracted because she has to show the benefits agency that she has to quit her job to look after her child.

It was not of her choosing to resign, in effect, she was forced to make that choice.:mad:

Why does she have to quit her job? can't she find another childcare provider? Are you the only one in the whole world?

If she was forced from her job because she didn't have childcare! why doesn't she take all the notice period that you offered? not that it isn't welcome and it's a blessing in disguise but don't let her make you feel guilty! the mean old moo! I'd be inclined to text back and say NO! make it April but that would be cutting your nose off to spite your face :D Just say "OK" that will p her off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Taz74
09-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Murphf and Koala, thank you so much for your support. I find myself smiling having read your messages.

I've come to realise that she is cutting her nose to spite her face and it is benefitting me :clapping: So yes, I have told her that I have amended the notice letter. It now reads, as I had informed her on the 7th of Feb my intention, the last contractual day will be the 7th of March. And she can now stick it in her pipe and smoke on it!( didn't say the last part, although I so wanted to).

And amazingly for the 1st time, I got a thanks in response?!

Lets see what tomorrow morning brings when I see her at 7 on my doorstep...wish me luck ladies xxx

smurfette
09-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Murphf and Koala, thank you so much for your support. I find myself smiling having read your messages. I've come to realise that she is cutting her nose to spite her face and it is benefitting me :clapping: So yes, I have told her that I have amended the notice letter. It now reads, as I had informed her on the 7th of Feb my intention, the last contractual day will be the 7th of March. And she can now stick it in her pipe and smoke on it!( didn't say the last part, although I so wanted to). And amazingly for the 1st time, I got a thanks in response?! Lets see what tomorrow morning brings when I see her at 7 on my doorstep...wish me luck ladies xxx

Best of luck in the morning let us know how it goes xx

Taz74
10-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Surprisingly she just said good morning when she dropped him off. Her son asked what was going on and I asked him he had spoken to his mum about it.

He said he hadn't but he did say was it because i wasn't behaving himself... SO clearly he does know the reason and hopefully mum has accepted that he was being a pain...

smurfette
10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Surprisingly she just said good morning when she dropped him off. Her son asked what was going on and I asked him he had spoken to his mum about it. He said he hadn't but he did say was it because i wasn't behaving himself... SO clearly he does know the reason and hopefully mum has accepted that he was being a pain...

Glad it went ok xx