PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Advice

jessie1
20-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Guys

Just want to ask your opinions regarding a forum thread I saw on on local website.
"school holiday crisis

can anybody explain why there is no provision for school holiday childcare next week, when my daughters school closes today and the remaining schools finish on wednesday.Im sure that i am not alone with the problem of what to do with the kids for a week"

"
i know my daughters has finshed today and i can't find anywhere for them to go"

As we all know I am just waiting on hubby's CRB and wasnt planning on starting immediately due to working part-time from home for my work. Do you think I can reply to these people and offer some service. Is there a way I can do a few hours or must I be fully registered or can I do it as a Baby sitter service but childminding rates?

Your answers are always greatly appreciated...
Thanks

berkschick
20-07-2008, 10:45 AM
You can not care for these children in your home until you are fully registered and insured.

You could offer to nanny for them at their houses.

But remember you wont have insurance or have any first aid training (unless you have done your course already!)

venus89
20-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't think you can mind without having all the relevant boxes ticked but I don't see why you can't care for the kids in their own home as - as you say - a babysitter.
Not 100% sure though, i'm afraid :blush:

jessie1
20-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes I understand and if I do it at their place as a Nanny how much would you charge as a Nanny. Thanks

berkschick
20-07-2008, 12:58 PM
No idea sorry. I have never looked into Nanny rates.

sarah707
20-07-2008, 02:54 PM
A nanny is employed by the family and the family pay for wages, national insurance and any other expenses.

If you were to work as a nanny you would need to discuss what the family is willing to pay you with them.

I would suggest for your own protection that you are insured and go through a reputable agency :D

jessie1
20-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Sarah can u tell me if its over 8 would I be ok to look after them in my own home. Thanks

wellybelly
20-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Its not worth the risk, I know it must be frustrtaing but you have to think the wait will be worth it in the end..

sarah707
20-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Sarah can u tell me if its over 8 would I be ok to look after them in my own home. Thanks

I don't know the full ins and outs of the legalities for over 8s... sorry.

The best thing to do is to ring Ofsted tomorrow... it would be great if you let us know what they say!

08456 404040

Also, I would never work without insurance and I know you can't get childminder insurance (public liability) unless you have an Ofsted registration number. You'd be best talking to Morton Michel about that one..

http://www.*****************/

miffy
20-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Good luck with this - Sarah has given you some good advice, especially about insurance.

You might be better seeing if you could hurry hubby's CRB check along

Miffy xx

lavenderrose
21-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi i was also interested in how you could go about this, so i contacted Ofsted about the voluntary part of the child care registration and after school-over 8's provision. This morning a large envelope came back with the application form and details. This is what was written regarding school holiday cover and over 8's.
the voluntary part of the childcare registration offers the choice of registration to providers who are not eligible for compulsory registration. These are mainly people looking after children over the age of eight, or providing care in the childs own home.
you are eligible to apply if;you are caring for one or more children age 0 to 17, for no more than 2 families, for more than 2 hours, before and after school.

what it does not say is that it is compulsory to do so. If you parent want to get help from the government to pay you, then you will need to do a vol register.
Oh how confusing is all this!!!!!!!hope something was of help
sandra

angeldelight
21-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that information Sandra

Angel xx

jessie1
21-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi All

Just spoke to someone at Ofsted asking them about over 8's and Voluntary reg. The info given was that if you are not registered at all or even in the process of registering and a parent asks u to look after a kid over 8 we can agree and nothing needs to be done. She mentioned that you do not have to be registered at all as OFSTED also just responsible for under 8's.

Regarding voluntary reg is should you wish to do minding in the home of mindeee similar to Nanny but as a childminder where parents does not pay your taxes and NI. It takes 12 weeks costing £100.

Hope that clears everything up.

Thanks for everyones input.

singlewiththree
24-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry I seem to have brain fog so basically as someone not registered I can take over 8's now?