PDA

View Full Version : Are you glad you took the leap?

Lisa77
22-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone
Ive just signed up to the pre reg and cyp0p5 courses needed to become a childminder. I have one daughter at 7 and are hoping to have another baby soon. I've often thought of childminding as a career, I feel it would be rewarding to see the children grow and be able to stay at home with mine also.

But today I feel a panic....will it work..will I be able to find mindees. Questions are running through my head! Also I live in a bungalow with only a living room and garden where they could be...do all of you have a separate play room? I have a table in the room and a unit of crafts but am wondering if this would be enough or would parents choose a childminders setting with a playroom rather than my own?

Anyway, so I just wondered if you all felt like this at some point and if your glad you took the leap? Also what's your play setting like? I'd love a separate room but until we move that can't be done. Thanks for your advice!

Rick
22-01-2014, 01:09 PM
It was a bit scary taking the leap, being a man, so if I can do it you should be able to :thumbsup:

I don't have a separate playroom, although I do have storage in my conservatory so at least I can have my living room back at the end if the day.

Oh and welcome to the forum :D

Glitter
22-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Some days I am glad I started minding, and some days (usually the ones when I am covered in food and snot) I wish I had a nice clean office job.

I don't have a separate play room. I have a living room for playing with toys, a small dining room for meals and messy play, and a small garden. I always tell parents I offer a home from home environment without a playroom and lots of parents like this.

Good luck with your course!

kellyskidz!
22-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm glad I did!
It's one of those things where you'll only know if you do it. It's a learning curve every day, some days its stressful and you half want to pack it in then good days make you change your mind again!
Only you'll know if its for you but have fun finding out :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tulip0803
22-01-2014, 04:44 PM
It isn't for everyone but I have been childminding since 2001 and love it:D.

My first house had a living/dining room and a postage stamp garden. This one has separate living and dining room I try to keep toys out of living room (not very successfully) when I am not working. My dining room has a dining table and chairs and sofa in. Then I have toys and books on shelves and baskets. I don't have a playroom and my childminding friends (8) don't either:thumbsup:

Good luck

Lisa77
22-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think this site is invaluable and just knowing your all helping and advising each other helps lots!
That's put my mind at rest knowing not everyone has a nursery like playroom. I thought the same, that I'd rather have my child go in a setting like home from home so its good to hear some parents agree.
I think ive decided to go on the courses and also look for a little part time job just till i get some mindees..ease the pressure then. I'm really looking forward to the courses tho and taking my steps into the childminding world! Fingers crossed all goes as planned!

The Juggler
22-01-2014, 10:45 PM
i am so glad it did it. I spent 9 years with my kids and in a fab job, earning good money. Now I'm back to work outside the home but I loved the fact that I was at home and the CM'ing paid for my further education supporting my job now.

I was scared. I gave up a full time well paid job (i hated) and waited til I had 2 children,signed contracts, then handed in my notice, took my two out of their childminder (she knew what I was planning and was on mat leave) and hoped it would all work out. It did I was mostly busy and was fine.

good luck.

Lisa77
23-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I've decided to definitely do the course and I feel better about my home size now knowing not everyone's got a separate room. I believe in the home from home part.
I think I'll look for a part time job whilst I do the courses (I know it can take a while to set up!) And until I find some mindees this will ease the pressure.
Oooh its exciting times! This forum helps ease the pressure lots just knowing your all there supporting each other. Here's too a new beginning!

kwilliams
27-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Wouldn't put me off at all...

PeekABoos
28-01-2014, 12:53 PM
This is a good read, I am currently sending off to do the CYPOP5 course and hopefully taking the leap to kiss goodbye to nightshifts and childcare eating my wages!! :clapping: