PDA

View Full Version : Biting!

EmmaReed84
16-01-2014, 11:38 AM
One of my mindees has just biten my MIL minded child on the arm, which has left a very significant mark on his arm!

I have just looked through my forms and realised I didn't have an incident form. I have not actually had to fill one in before, well not for a very long time!

Do we need an incident form? Or do we just write down what happened? Obviously MIL has filled in her forms... but what will I need!

funemnx
16-01-2014, 12:33 PM
For this I would just mention to parents/put in daily diary - if it becomes a regular occurance you can hopefully work with them to stop it happening :thumbsup:

critch
16-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a biter, but unsure how to deal with it, other than. Saying no sternly, any ideas anyone?

watford wizz
16-01-2014, 02:38 PM
My thought some children just go through a biting stage like some throw, some kick. Some scream etc a firm no when it's inappropriate is good but I follow this with giving them something they can bite like you would with a child who wanted to draw every where you point them to a way of doing what they need to do in a safe appropriate way with lots of praise when they get it right. Try an autistic resources website for ideas.

Rolacolapink
16-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I have a biter! he's 18 months and very angry/frustrated as he cant tell you in words why. He's having sharing issues and tends to hit others with toys but does it as if he's playing and doesn't seem to realise what he's doing is wrong.

I've had him since Sept and he's been biting since he started with me.

The best things that work for us are;

- put in pushchair every time he/she bites/hurts/takes toy for time out (mum agreed this with me)
- don't give any attention
- all attention and lots of fuss over injured/affected child
- look for triggers. Usually there are obvious signs such as facial changes like gritting teeth
- related books and activities
- lots of praise and positive words for good behaviour (coloured stamper on back of hand works for us)
- note in diary / keep parents informed

It's helping and he is getting better - most of this info I got from advice on this forum, thank you all :)

Simona
21-01-2014, 10:59 AM
One of my mindees has just biten my MIL minded child on the arm, which has left a very significant mark on his arm!

I have just looked through my forms and realised I didn't have an incident form. I have not actually had to fill one in before, well not for a very long time!

Do we need an incident form? Or do we just write down what happened? Obviously MIL has filled in her forms... but what will I need!

Biting that leaves a mark should be in your accident form...I record all biting incidents just in case...those forms are a requirement....get parent to sign.
It is good practice to write that the Child has bitten child B but no names.
Reassure parents of the 'bitten' child as parents get very worried about this.

Biting like pulling hair, hitting, pinching very hard always occur in toddlers as a result of frustration and usually lack of communication to tell you where their frustration is coming from....as mentioned below 'look for the trigger'

Rubybubbles
21-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I always write an accident form for this and I also fill in a physical intervention form as I assume you has to remove the biter for 'reflection'

EmmaReed84
21-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Biting that leaves a mark should be in your accident form...I record all biting incidents just in case...those forms are a requirement....get parent to sign.
It is good practice to write that the Child has bitten child B but no names.
Reassure parents of the 'bitten' child as parents get very worried about this.

Biting like pulling hair, hitting, pinching very hard always occur in toddlers as a result of frustration and usually lack of communication to tell you where their frustration is coming from....as mentioned below 'look for the trigger'

The minded child who did the biting, is so eager to talk, he is very chatty and extremely vocal! Apparently the child who was biten, then went home and bit his sister, their Mum then said that she does not want my minded child any where near her children ever again, but MIL did explain that they are just babies (just over a year old, both of them) and that it is a phase that most toddlers will go through and it is about teaching them. Mum then calmed down and said it was okay. We are together again on Thursday and we have a plan in place to ensure it does not happen again. Mum seems happy with this.

Simona
21-01-2014, 01:11 PM
The minded child who did the biting, is so eager to talk, he is very chatty and extremely vocal! Apparently the child who was biten, then went home and bit his sister, their Mum then said that she does not want my minded child any where near her children ever again, but MIL did explain that they are just babies (just over a year old, both of them) and that it is a phase that most toddlers will go through and it is about teaching them. Mum then calmed down and said it was okay. We are together again on Thursday and we have a plan in place to ensure it does not happen again. Mum seems happy with this.

I am just about to share this information with my parents as I 'expect' biting to be in the next phase of development which I do recognise at around 1 year of age...chatty and babbling but not really able to express feelings
I have always found that giving parents something to read on the subject does help them to understand why...saying she does not want the child near hers will not materialise unless you put them in separate rooms which is not possible

Some of the causes are also interesting like oral stimulation, teething and noise in the setting so EE will kick in DM

ZERO TO THREE: Why Do Toddlers Bite? Finding the Right Response (http://www.zerotothree.org/child-development/challenging-behavior/chew-on-this-resources-on-biting.html)

May I ask what MIL stands for?