PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information with Parents- Aaaaarrrrggghhh!

lilac_dragon
16-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Ok, I have 4 eyfs children and do a Daily Diary with them to record, sleeps, food/feeding, nappy changes etc where appropriate, what we did, ideas to follow on at home, any problems I've come up against along with positive moments too.
1 parent responds, I open the book in the morning and there'll be comments on yesterdays jottings and anything the child has done or liked or where they went at the w/end. It's great, not just for Ofsted but it means the parent/child/and I are in sync. Both Mum and Dad write in there and that's even better!

The other 3 sets of parents don't write anything.
One has older children and says they're too busy.
The other child has separated parents (over a year now, have shared care of the little lad) and won't speak to each other - so won't put anything in the book in case the other one reads it!!!!!!!! It's only used to communicate about their child so nothing personal about anything other than that, but that's why they say they don't write in it!
The 3rd parent just says she hasn't the time.
In their defence, they do all chat for about 5 mins at drop off to comment.

When they see the Learning Journeys, there's a box for parents comments - Parent 1 comments even if it's just one sentence, other 3 don't. I insist they sign and date it, but have had to stand there with a pen in my hand sometimes!

I've explained to them that I need physical evidence for Ofsted that I'm sharing information with parents but it's had no effect.
Any ideas?
The only other thing I can think of is to tell them they have to sign the page, just like in the LJ's, even if they won't write anything, just as proof. Is that going too far?

shortstuff
16-01-2014, 09:43 AM
to be fair i dont think i would be too worried. You are showing that you are trying and doing so consistantly. Ofsted know you can t make the parents do anything they dont want to.

I only have 3 parents who actually look at the daily diaries as we have a good chat too. I am not going to stress about it as it wont change their attitude x

dawn100
16-01-2014, 10:00 AM
In my parent questionnaire I have a question about how they like me to share information about their child and how they like to keep me up to date with what their child has been doing and gave examples of possible ways verbal, email , written etc and then the second part of the question how did they want to keep me up to date with their childs wellbeing and development and gave the same examples again
Most parents have filled in verbal communication so that is what I do on a daily basis, some wanted email as an option for things that they wouldnt want to discuss in front of their children or gor more complex matters so i do this also but obviously not on a daily basis just as and when appropriate, so I have asked for parents opinions and have adapted my practises to suit parents and that is what I told ofsted and because I had that in my parent questionnaire from parents they were happy, I was communicating and sharing information how parents wanted me to and not trying to force them to do something that didn't suit them. My report even said something along the line of 'childminder has developed good partnerships with parents and listens to their views'.
I know as a parent when I use to get my daughters lj home from pre-school (before I was a cm) I never knew what to write so didn't really write much, not because I wasn't interested in what she had been doing just wasnt sure what was expected of me,

Simona
16-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Do all parents want to know about sleep, food and nappy changes?
Personally....I find they don't but would like to be told verbally if the sleep pattern has altered
They are aware I change nappies but not interested in precisely what time that was done unless something was different
Food...we could have a menu on the wall where they can all look ...it is there if they want to look at and the menu is evidence for Ofsted of Healthy practice

We do too much 'unnecessary' paperwork in my view and it needs to be cut down ...it could be the reason why some parents do not bother
It is an additional stress on them when they have no time and a cause for us to moan how much we have

Some parents do want diaries....ask them what it is they want in them and avoid the repetitive but if that is what they want they need to acknowledge our effort

Mouse
16-01-2014, 10:42 AM
At the end of a busy day most parents aren't going to be interested in reading about how many times their child had their nappy changed, so i don't ever include info like that unless parents specifically ask for it.

What I do is ask parents how often they want a diary. Some have it daily, some weekly and some monthly (that's mainly the over 3s). Some parents write in them, some don't. I think some struggle to come up with things to say, so don't bother. Every few weeks I put a very short questionnaire in, often related to something we're doing at the time. I find that by asking specific questions you're more likely to get a reply.

My last one was along the lines of:

Can Mummy and Daddy please help me to answer these questions?

1) what are my favourites toys at home?

2) what do I like doing with my family?

3) do I have a special teddy at home?

4) does it have a name?

5) would I be allowed to bring my teddy with me one day?

It's really quick & simple and I have found that all the parents complete them. I then use the info in my planning, for example, looking at the children's favourite toys. It shows I am working with parents and helps me make our activities relevant to the children.

hectors house
16-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I send home the Learning Journals about every 4 months, there is a page for parents to sign and date to say they have seen the LJ and the photo CD - there is also a space for them to write comments but they rarely do. I also send home an All about me update form and very occasionally a parent will fill it in, I also send home 2 Wow look what I can do now forms, but may get one back with the LJ but never get another one in the period in between.

Yesterday I send home sponsor forms for "make chatter matter" and then e-mailed in the evening with the daily sheet (that I e-mail home each evening), I typed up all the words to the 4 Nursery Rhymes we are practising for Make Chatter Matter, just checked my e-mails - not a single reply, not a "ok thanks, will try to practise at home", nothing!

Feel like e-mailing "hey you, yes you, can you please at least acknowledge my e-mails"!

sarah707
16-01-2014, 07:52 PM
If you have an observation form with a parents comment box you are setting yourself up to fail ... take the box out and write obs when parents make comments about what their child is doing at home instead.

As for the diaries - write 'handover notes' when parents have given you information.

hth :D

VeggieSausage
16-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I jot down comments made on the doorstep....so mum says child x is a bit tired and was up in the night etc and in learning journey too add in what they have said on the doorstep.....Dad says child x had a brilliant birthday party or mum said child x loves lego at the moment etc....

lilac_dragon
17-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Interesting replies.
I do write down "handover notes" into the Diary, especially if the lo hasn't slept well or didn't have much breakfast. As for the parents not being interested in reading the Diary after a busy day - the parents I'm having no response with at the moment have all asked for these specific things to be jotted down for them to see in the evenings, and Yes they all asked for me to record nappy changes, not every single change but definitely the last change and if there's been any problems, -constipated or loose etc.
2 of the babies are weaning so I need to record how that's going, it would be good however, to know from the parent what they're trying/is working/isn't working.
Older children - I haven't provided evening meals in years and los bring a packed lunch from home so they have what they like to eat, within the boundaries of the Healthy Eating policy, rather than me having to try and find something they all like.( So many posters on here seem to have problems with children's eating) so no Menu on the wall here.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Mouse
17-01-2014, 08:35 AM
It sounds as if you're doing everything you can, so I think you have to accept that you're not going to get any written feedback from parents. The majority of parents do read the diaries, just don't want to write in them.

I think it's up to you whether or not you get them to sign each day, although personally I'd say once a week or month would be enough.