PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Medical Attention....

Cassie
14-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Do we still need this in place.??I thought I had read somewhere that we no longer need parents to sign this form.

rickysmiths
15-01-2014, 09:25 AM
You are right if you look in EYFS document written permission is no longer required.

Not that it meant a thing anyway because who would have ever taken on a child if the parents didn't give this permission? How could we have not sought medical help for a child in need?

hectors house
15-01-2014, 09:31 AM
As Rickysmiths has said permission to seek medical attention was pretty silly anyway as if you took a child to casualty department the medical staff didn't care if you had a signed piece of paper or not, so no you don't need to get parents to sign - although I still carry in a credit card holder, all details of the child; name, address, contact details and doctors name and address as all this would be required by the hospital.

Glitter
15-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I had a parent who refused to sign the permission because she was a Jehovah witness and did not allow certain procedures.

Since then I have left the medical permission on my forms so parents can add details of anything they do not allow. That way a doctor would have written proof that the parent would not agree to some treatments.

bunyip
15-01-2014, 10:22 AM
I have it but more as a reassurance to parents and a means of storing data about existing conditions, allergies, etc.

Tbh, if you took a seriously ill/injured child into A&E the medicos probably wouldn't leave them to deteriorate whilst waiting for mum to arrive.

hectors house
15-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I have it but more as a reassurance to parents and a means of storing data about existing conditions, allergies, etc.

Tbh, if you took a seriously ill/injured child into A&E the medicos probably wouldn't leave them to deteriorate whilst waiting for mum to arrive.

Exactly, their duty of care would overide ours and just that the fact you took them to casualty would indicate that you wanted their expertise. I do understand that certain religions may have different views but that is up to the parent to inform us on the child record form.

bunyip
15-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Exactly, their duty of care would overide ours and just that the fact you took them to casualty would indicate that you wanted their expertise. I do understand that certain religions may have different views but that is up to the parent to inform us on the child record form.

Ooh, don't get me started on the 'Diversity Imperative': "my deeply-held irrational beliefs are paramount over proven fact and another person's right to personal well-being." :mad:

rickysmiths
15-01-2014, 11:49 AM

I think that that is the only thing the doctors MAY listen to in an emergency. However as we are not next of kin they are not obliged to take any information from us, they would be trying to contact the child's parents/guardians asap and would then act in what they thought were the best interests of the child in the given circumstances.

Personally I think this is absolutely the right thing to happen. They are the medical experts, not me, that is why I would have sought their help in a situation I could not help in other than maybe immediate First Aid.