PDA

View Full Version : Claiming for fixing roof

Fitrix
11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Hello all, I am hoping some kind soul can advise me. I prob can't but ..... During the recent storms my toy room roof got damaged, rain got in and part of the ceiling collapsed. My garden fencing has also been blown over and really needs refencing in order to keep kids safely enclosed.
The toy room is used purely to store toys and crafts used for childminding and the kids (mindees and our own) play in there a bit (it is a very small room).
I get that we claim 10% wear and tear but this isn't due to kids scribbling on walls / sofas wearing out / carpet being constantly battered with copious amounts of wee and squash! It was due to the storm (currently fighting with insurance who are trying to wriggle out of paying). The fence is not covered by insurance at all.
So can I claim a portion of getting the roof replaced, the ceiling replastered and decorated and he fencing done?

tulip0803
11-01-2014, 06:06 PM
You can claim for the decorating but not for the repair to the building. If you were not childminding you would still have this roof and still have to repair it. Decorating of rooms used for childminding can be claimed as they have to be in a state of good decorative order. I seem to remember that replacing fencing and garden stuff was not covered either.

Chatterbox will know for sure:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
11-01-2014, 07:12 PM
No it is your own home and you would repair it if you were not a childminder usually via insurance if you are covered. If you can prove that you ONLY have a fence because you childmind you may be able to claim some but this is unlikely.

blue bear
11-01-2014, 07:35 PM
As it is a condition of registration that the garden is inaccessible to keep the children safe we can claim for repairs to the fence but not a whole replacement. Mr A has advised on this in the past (you might be able to find one of his posts if you search) if you are unsure ring the inland revenue they will inform you the latest and upto date rules.

Rick
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
As it is a condition of registration that the garden is inaccessible to keep the children safe we can claim for repairs to the fence but not a whole replacement. Mr A has advised on this in the past (you might be able to find one of his posts if you search) if you are unsure ring the inland revenue they will inform you the latest and upto date rules.

I like a challenge. I think I've found something similar in this thread for your fence

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/114161-i-know-i-carnt-claim-but.html

blue bear
12-01-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/113635-can-i-claim-garden-wall-fence.html

This is the one I was thinking of