PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a visitors book?

Cassie
11-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Keep getting different answers for this.... Don't have a lot of visitors in working hours but should i have a log?

tulip0803
11-01-2014, 06:46 PM
You should log it in some way. I get them to sign into my diary - name, business/reason, time in, time out

lilac_dragon
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I use an A4 Diary for my Register and retrospective planning (what we DID rather than what we PLANNED to do). In the back I use 1 page to log Visitors and 1 page to log Fire Drills. hth.

rickysmiths
11-01-2014, 06:57 PM
No I have never had one. Why do I need a Visitors Book?

This is my home not an institution.

I know exactly who is in my house at any time an no visitors are ever left alone with the children.

Any workmen who might have to come in the visit would be noted in my personal diary.

An un necessary piece of paperwork.

I have now had 4 Osted Inspections, I have never been asked for one and if I had I would have questioned it as we are not required to have one.

rickysmiths
11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
You should log it in some way. I get them to sign into my diary - name, business/reason, time in, time out

Why? Do you have lots of people in and out of your house who you don't know and don't know where they are? I doubt it.

Institutions like Nurseries have to have them because at any one time there is no way all members of staff could know who is visiting and where they may be. They need to log in in case there was a fire for example or an incident. This is not likely in your own home is it? Surely you answer the door, you invite people to your home so you are in absolute control and know who is where.

watford wizz
11-01-2014, 07:08 PM
If I have some one who comes regularly ie student I just write them in my pacey register just to one side, nothing formal time in time out just in case of fire but not family who live here.

Mouse
11-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I make a note in my register of any visitors. I don't sign them in or out. For example I had an electrician here last Monday. I made a note in my diary of the times he was here, but that was it. If there's every any query I can easily see which children were here at the time.

rickysmiths
11-01-2014, 07:15 PM
If I have some one who comes regularly ie student I just write them in my pacey register just to one side, nothing formal time in time out just in case of fire but not family who live here.

Yes we must note Students or Assistants and the times and days they work accurately, but that is rather different to recording occasional visitors.

Glitter
11-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Like some of the people who have posted I make a note in my diary of any visitors in my house while minding.

One reason we are supposed to do this is in case a child makes an accusation against a visitor. We would need to know what time the visitor had been in our house so we could investigate. Even if we supervise visitors at all times we still need to protect them and ourselves from accusations. I know my memory is not brilliant and if a parent asked if someone had visited my house 3 weeks ago I would not be able to remember which day it was on.

I would rather make a quick note in my diary and know I had a record.

tulip0803
11-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Like some of the people who have posted I make a note in my diary of any visitors in my house while minding.

One reason we are supposed to do this is in case a child makes an accusation against a visitor. We would need to know what time the visitor had been in our house so we could investigate. Even if we supervise visitors at all times we still need to protect them and ourselves from accusations. I know my memory is not brilliant and if a parent asked if someone had visited my house 3 weeks ago I would not be able to remember which day it was on.

I would rather make a quick note in my diary and know I had a record.

Like what she said:thumbsup: