PDA

View Full Version : quick explanation of eyfs please

Kidston
10-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi I stopped working as a nursery nurse a few months before the eyfs changed and the new way came into play. So im still used to the 6 areas of learning and development.
I start my briefing sessions next week (yay!) and wondered if anyone would mind given me a quick over view on whats different with the eyfs now. Would like to have a little understanding of how it all works now before I go into tje course.
Thanks in advance.

FloraDora
10-01-2014, 09:45 PM
The easiest way to catch up is to look through the free downloads, there is great info there.

blue bear
10-01-2014, 10:40 PM
It's seven areas now,some of the area names have changed and things have moved around abit so might not be under the areas you were used to.
Down load a copy of the eyfs and the early years outcomes, the EYO is what the inspector uses as a guide for inspections so you need to be familiar with it too,there are some changes to the eyfs that have happened in EYO.

Simona
11-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi I stopped working as a nursery nurse a few months before the eyfs changed and the new way came into play. So im still used to the 6 areas of learning and development.
I start my briefing sessions next week (yay!) and wondered if anyone would mind given me a quick over view on whats different with the eyfs now. Would like to have a little understanding of how it all works now before I go into tje course.
Thanks in advance.

I agree that a good way to get an idea is also to look at the EYFS 2012 and see if you can start drawing a list of what you want to put in place for your own practice

The Early Years Outcomes are not mentioned there as they came is recently but Development Matters is and it is still good practice to refer to it when planning for children while referring to the EYO at inspections

Both DM and EYO are guidance...some CMs use EYO only while others use both

Good luck with your course!

Kidston
11-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies ive downloaded it and started reading through it while little one is napping. Am I right in think planning has changed too? Im used to planning a different theme each week for a group of children. Is it just individual planning now and a general theme?

Simona
11-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies ive downloaded it and started reading through it while little one is napping. Am I right in think planning has changed too? Im used to planning a different theme each week for a group of children. Is it just individual planning now and a general theme?

It is definitely individual planning around the child's interests and learning style which you will pick up after initial starting points have been observed.

Nurseries tend to do themes...some CMs do too but they have to reflect the children's interests...varied as they maybe....look out for schemas as that will be of great help to you and how a child learns...is the child's visual or auditory or kinestetic (hands on) which is shared by many children
Hope this helps