PDA

View Full Version : UKCMA and Truss working together?

Mouse
10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
This has been posted by UKCMA on their Facebook page, website and on Twitter (just so no one misses it).

"Ukcma and Elizabeth Truss are working closely to help childminders. Exciting times ahead. Watch this space for specific details."

Anyone know any details?

FussyElmo
10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
This has been posted by UKCMA on their Facebook page, website and on Twitter (just so no one misses it).

"Ukcma and Elizabeth Truss are working closely to help childminders. Exciting times ahead. Watch this space for specific details."

Anyone know any details?

Yes its very cryptic. Exciting is not really the word that springs to mind :)

I also agree with some of the comments on the fb page why them?

rickysmiths
10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Is anyone on here a member of UKCMA I be really interested to know as I have yet to come across one?

Simona
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Is anyone on here a member of UKCMA I be really interested to know as I have yet to come across one?

Good question Rickysmiths...seems strange that Truss is working with the association we know little about, nor do we know how many members they have, rather than choose pacey or PLA for instance.
Mind you UKCMA did meet Truss recently if I recall correctly?

It will be interesting to find out what it is they are 'working together' for??

Simona
11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
''I also agree with some of the comments on the fb page why them?''
Would it be possible to know what is being asked on FB...which FB page? the forum or UKCMA itself? ... so that we can discuss or at least be aware where this has come from?
If not possible.... no worries!

Mouse
11-01-2014, 10:58 AM
''I also agree with some of the comments on the fb page why them?''
Would it be possible to know what is being asked on FB...which FB page? the forum or UKCMA itself? ... so that we can discuss or at least be aware where this has come from?
If not possible.... no worries!

Comments were made on the UKCMA FB page (which actually has very little information on it & is rarely updated).

This was their post:

Comments were along the lines of:

why has Truss chosen a new organisation to work with, not an established one

who are UKCMA

we don't feel excited by this

No one trust Truss

You really haven't missed much Simona. The post has very few replies and no responses from UKCMA (apart from one when someone says they think UKCMA will become an agency & they say they won't). Has anything been put on Twitter?

Simona
11-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Comments were made on the UKCMA FB page (which actually has very little information on it & is rarely updated).

This was their post:

Comments were along the lines of:

why has Truss chosen a new organisation to work with, not an established one

who are UKCMA

we don't feel excited by this

No one trust Truss

You really haven't missed much Simona. The post has very few replies and no responses from UKCMA (apart from one when someone says they think UKCMA will become an agency & they say they won't). Has anything been put on Twitter?

Unfortunately no news on twitter...I do follow UKCMA but they rarely tweet

This is the latest tweet...the last was in October 2013

Lynda de wolf ‏@Lyndadewolf7
Just received personal email from Elizabeth Truss - education minister ! Exciting times ahead for Ukcma .....

This news is fairly new and as you can see even UKCMA say little apart from it is going to be 'exciting' times for them?

Thank you for sharing Mouse...I do appreciate it.

Mouse
11-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Thank you for sharing Mouse...I do appreciate it.

It's mutual. I don't do Twitter, so appreciate your sharing.

rickysmiths
11-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Thank you Simona and Mouse.

UKCMA are a mystery to me really. They rarely comment, they did a big launch on here and then disappeared for nearly a year, their web site and FB page are rarely updated, no one has ever come forward and said they are a member, do they have any? Yet of all the known and well established EY organisations they were the ones first invited to meet Truss?

I find it all very odd and even more odd that they don't talk about what they are doing for cm or their member (if they have any).

I don't think it instills confidence in them as an organisation or in Truss in seeking informed and experienced advice about childminding.

watford wizz
11-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Perhaps truss feels safer using a " new" group which she could manipulate rather than the established she would have to do battle with and who have proved will stand up to her and her ideas.

Simona
11-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Thank you Simona and Mouse.

UKCMA are a mystery to me really. They rarely comment, they did a big launch on here and then disappeared for nearly a year, their web site and FB page are rarely updated, no one has ever come forward and said they are a member, do they have any? Yet of all the known and well established EY organisations they were the ones first invited to meet Truss?

I find it all very odd and even more odd that they don't talk about what they are doing for cm or their member (if they have any).

I don't think it instills confidence in them as an organisation or in Truss in seeking informed and experienced advice about childminding.

In reply to the tweet by UKCMA I have sent them this one today

Simona McKenzie ‏@signoramac
@Lyndadewolf7 What is exciting? are you going to share the reason #truss wishes to work with you? how many Cms do you represent?

I doubt we will get an answer but I get the feeling Truss interacts with those of her choice and ignores the vast majority or those who do not agree with her
I definitely feel this has to be raised and I question why they retain a place in this forum when they never update or answer questions
I do not consider them relevant but worry about this new development...lets get this sorted

FussyElmo
14-01-2014, 01:23 PM
This was posted today

Following our message last week we would just like to clarify that The UKCMA is facilitating a meeting between Ms Truss, Childminding Organisations and Childminders. We met with Ms Truss back in October, following meetings with David Ward MP and Lord Storey in the summer to put forward the views of all childminders (not just UKCMA members) on the Childminding Agencies proposal. Now Ms Truss has approached us to facilitate a meeting to discuss the Childminder Agencies with any Childminding Organisations that wish to be involved as well as those actively working in the profession. Early indications are that PACEY and the PLA will be involved in this meeting and we are waiting to hear back from others.

From the outset The UKCMA have stated that we are not only here for our members, but for all childminders and have presented every view and opinion we were given to those in Parliament. This discussion is purely an extension of the meetings we have already attended.

The meeting will take place mid February at the House of Commons and, as you can appreciate, numbers are limited. We are in the process of inviting a representative from each Organisation and are suggesting that these organisations also invite a childminder along too so that the group that is eventually sat around the table represents the childminding community as a whole. If you are interested in attending the meeting please contact your organisation directly. If you are a member of The UKCMA and would like to attend please contact Lynda@************* directly.

Just to reiterate The UKCMA will not become and Agency and is set to continue to support and guide independent childminders.

Simona
14-01-2014, 01:45 PM
This was posted today

Following our message last week we would just like to clarify that The UKCMA is facilitating a meeting between Ms Truss, Childminding Organisations and Childminders. We met with Ms Truss back in October, following meetings with David Ward MP and Lord Storey in the summer to put forward the views of all childminders (not just UKCMA members) on the Childminding Agencies proposal. Now Ms Truss has approached us to facilitate a meeting to discuss the Childminder Agencies with any Childminding Organisations that wish to be involved as well as those actively working in the profession. Early indications are that PACEY and the PLA will be involved in this meeting and we are waiting to hear back from others.

From the outset The UKCMA have stated that we are not only here for our members, but for all childminders and have presented every view and opinion we were given to those in Parliament. This discussion is purely an extension of the meetings we have already attended.

The meeting will take place mid February at the House of Commons and, as you can appreciate, numbers are limited. We are in the process of inviting a representative from each Organisation and are suggesting that these organisations also invite a childminder along too so that the group that is eventually sat around the table represents the childminding community as a whole. If you are interested in attending the meeting please contact your organisation directly. If you are a member of The UKCMA and would like to attend please contact Lynda@************* directly.

Just to reiterate The UKCMA will not become and Agency and is set to continue to support and guide independent childminders.

Thank you for posting and sharing
Yes I think it would be good for cms to be there alongside their association as we do not all share the same worries...let me explain before I get misinterpreted and pelted with rotten eggs!!!

I know agencies are coming...they are in the making or trialling or whatever.... BUT... my main message for months has been that ICMs are more important and need answers...

I have read many comments on agencies but that does not personally help me...what would help me and CMs in general is that we get a few questions clarified both by the DfE and Ofsted and we can get on with our jobs and for Truss to show 'equal concern' for all cms not just those she chooses to engage with or those who may wish to join her agencies

My main aim is to seek and get support that will equal that on offer to agency CMs.

I would also suggest CMs engage with their LA...some are still willing to support all regardless of grade....worth engaging with them, if we drop our grade at inspection they will have a huge worry fulfilling the spaced for the 2 year olds this year and that is why Truss is turning to schools...she has not guaranteed all the 260,000 places she needs and that is her flagship policy she needs to make sure is a success...entirely my view of course.

rickysmiths
14-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Thank you for that but why could UKCMA not have posted that themselves?

Simona
14-01-2014, 07:31 PM
That bugs me too when they have a slot here and say, in their message, they want to support and guide ICMs!!!
They should start by communicating!

Smiley
15-01-2014, 08:49 AM
If you look on their website there is a link on the right hand side (purple box) this then has the article

Simona
17-01-2014, 08:44 AM
If you look on their website there is a link on the right hand side (purple box) this then has the article

Thank you Smiley...I did find it but will not comment here

My previous comments in this thread were deleted and I feel that is unfair as they contained nothing contentious

I will share with CMs...... if they want to find out they will know where to find me.

shortstuff
17-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Thank you Smiley...I did find it but will not comment here

My previous comments in this thread were deleted and I feel that is unfair as they contained nothing contentious

I will share with CMs...... if they want to find out they will know where to find me.

what makes you say that your previous comments have been deleted? I can see 7 from you including this one.

Simona
17-01-2014, 01:59 PM
what makes you say that your previous comments have been deleted? I can see 7 from you including this one.

I said it because one of my replies in this thread has gone.

ginag
17-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know of any of the agencies being piloted which are being run by childminders themselves?
Gina xx