PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not do a learning journal?

littleblue
08-01-2014, 11:50 AM
It seems to be the thing I fall behind in the most and is always a worry in the back of my mind. I know they aren't actually a requirement, but for those of you that don't do them, do you do something else instead? How do you demonstrate your knowledge of eyfs?

Mouse
08-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I do a combined daily diary and learning journal. I used to do separate LJs, but questioned how useful they actually were. Parents weren't interested in them, by the time they got to see them the information was already out of date. All they really wanted to see were the photos.

I now do a daily diary which includes obs. Every term I do an assessment in it, along with ideas for individual planning, observations, photos etc. It's working much better. Parents comment much more than they ever did in a LJ. Every now & again I also include a questionnaire asking what the child enjoys doing at home, what their favourite toys are, any achievements etc.

In the child's personal file I keep a copy of the development matters which I highlight and date when a child achieves something. The date corresponds to a date in the daily diary where there's evidence to support what I've highlighted.

I haven't actually had an Ofsted inspection since I've started doing it this way, so I haven't a clue what they'll think about it!

rickysmiths
08-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I do similar to Mouse and have a combined DD and LJ and I have found that parents contribute more to it doing it this way because there is a space for 'The Weekend'.

I don't highlight DM because they are not designed to do that with it was the reason they were changed because Ofsted didn't want all the linking all the time and it was one of the measures taken to reduce the paperwork.

I do know Outstanding Childminders who don't do LJs

They keep a setting photograph album which shows all the child taking part in all the activities and showing where they go.

I have pared mine down to the min, I only ever did a formal ob every half term or so or when one naturally occurred as a wow, not once a week like some.

sarah707
08-01-2014, 07:04 PM
The revised inspection focus is on how well we teach the children... the Eyfs says that we must observe, assess, individually plan, work with parents and other settings...

How you record it is up to you! :D

BusyKids
15-01-2014, 10:22 AM
This is the part of the job that gets me down as I've no idea if I'm doing it right/enough, but this thread has helped :)

So far I've kept a folder with sheets in it, sticking photos in and linking and doing next steps but I've been doing that for everything I've seen. I didn't think I could do it in a diary. Nor did I realise I didn't have to do so many!

So one or two a term is ok?

Simona
18-01-2014, 10:55 AM
A diary should be for simple info sharing not really to record progress but, of course, each cm is different

You can do a LJ or call it what you like...I call it Portfolio... bearing in mind if you want to share with other setting it is better to share a LJ than a diary where parents may have input information not related to progress and which could be confidential.

When other providers have shared info with me it has always been a LJ not a diary

Keep the documentation simple...there are worries that we do too much paperwork that is totally unnecessary
Your inspector will concentrate on your 'teaching' based on the child's learning style and interests which your planning will reflect

Cassie
18-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Just reading through the reply's here and wondering how you manage to find time through the day to write all this in a childs diary!! I have a Daily diary for each child and struggle to fill this in with basic details nappys,food, my day etc.when i think how long it takes me to up-date Lj's on a weekend i have no idea how i would fit it in daily.However i totally love the idea!! Example's would be great if anyone would kindly share.

Simona
18-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Just reading through the reply's here and wondering how you manage to find time through the day to write all this in a childs diary!! I have a Daily diary for each child and struggle to fill this in with basic details nappys,food, my day etc.when i think how long it takes me to up-date Lj's on a weekend i have no idea how i would fit it in daily.However i totally love the idea!! Example's would be great if anyone would kindly share.

It really depends on what you want to write in the diary and what the parents want and have agreed with you
do they want to know how many nappies you change each day or do they understand you do that and would report anything different?

Do they want to know about sleep or do they accept you follow a routine and report any changes?

Can you do a menu for all that parents can look at pick up time? saves time and paperwork

do they want you to write what you did during the day or can they access a daily planning on the wall? avoid repetition

Do they have time to write in it? many don't so I always question the aim of a daily diary

LJs do not have to be updated every day...jot your observations, plan and then assess regularly and send home for parents to look at their leisure
Make sure they input a feedback and do not allow them to keep the LJ for long periods because Ofsted would want to see them at inspection

Again we do things differently ...it is important to use a system that reflects time and unnecessary duplicated information...if not needed cut it out and save yourself a lot of worry.

julie w
19-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I have a scribble book kept in the kitchen where i jot down (or scribble) everything as it come to mind. then spend 5 mins putting it into a diary at night xx