PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for taking on a student?

Bluebell
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Can someone fill me in on the details for providing a place for a student.

Normally a student would be covered by the DBS provided by the college but as a childminder I assume we still need to go through Ofsted to inform them (I've had this conversation with them when I asked about using agency staff for cover) and possibly they will require another DBS - which I'm now thinking I will end up having to pay for?!

She is in her 2nd year of her course at school so the placement lady said she will be 17 or 18.

I will be treating her as a new starter and going through my induction with her so she knows procedures and policies and so on.
She will be doing 2 days a week for 1 full term - up to Easter. I will pay for her to have a DBS done if I have to but it seems unfair. Can someone please let me know?

Placement lady was supposed to phone me and send me information by e-mail before Christmas but I didn't hear from her again, and today she phoned me to confirm still ok for student to start tomorrow!!!
Quite nervous - student is obviously learning lots about how supposed to do everything and has been to a school, a nursery and a pre-school for her previous placements - I'm quite into lots of free play and have organised lots of continuous provision to support that but am nervous in case I don't match up iyswim?

Thanks

sarah707
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
My student was lovely and it was great having an extra pair of hands for a couple of weeks! She sat and read books, made playdough, played games with the older children... it was lovely!

It was hard work as well because you've got another body to watch and direct but the good offset that.

Mine didn't need a DBS I rang Ofsted and they said just make sure she is not on her own with the children - if you leave the room she does too - so that's what we did. She volunteered to do jobs like the washing up so she wasn't stood watching me :laughing:

Enjoy :D

Simona
07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
My student was lovely and it was great having an extra pair of hands for a couple of weeks! She sat and read books, made playdough, played games with the older children... it was lovely!

It was hard work as well because you've got another body to watch and direct but the good offset that.

Mine didn't need a DBS I rang Ofsted and they said just make sure she is not on her own with the children - if you leave the room she does too - so that's what we did. She volunteered to do jobs like the washing up so she wasn't stood watching me :laughing:

Enjoy :D

Same here when I had a student ...Oftsed suggested a Risk Assessment which I did and still keep on file to be used again if necessary and show Ofsted at inspection
One thing to remember in RA is mobiles and taking photos of children...both not allowed by the student

Bluebell
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you - I ended up phoning Ofsted this morning and asking for 17 year old student from a local school, he said because it was 2 days over 12 weeks (ie 24 days) it is less than 3 months so therefore does not require an EY2 - but I asked him to make a note of it on my file which he said it would be recorded.

I'm going to do my induction and fire drill and everything with her tomorrow. She needs to do some observations and plan some activities and I need to witness /sign off some stuff for her so it looks good. She is really lovely so hopefully will work out for next term.

Simona
07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you - I ended up phoning Ofsted this morning and asking for 17 year old student from a local school, he said because it was 2 days over 12 weeks (ie 24 days) it is less than 3 months so therefore does not require an EY2 - but I asked him to make a note of it on my file which he said it would be recorded.

I'm going to do my induction and fire drill and everything with her tomorrow. She needs to do some observations and plan some activities and I need to witness /sign off some stuff for her so it looks good. She is really lovely so hopefully will work out for next term.

When my student left the school also sent me a certificate from the Business Partnership thanking me for providing work experience to local students...I really liked that...hope Ofsted spot that one!! I thought it was a nice touch!

Bluebell
08-01-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm her 'placement supervisor' so we have discussed lots of options for her to do her activities and how we can give her the opportunities for me to sign off things for her.
I am mentoring another childminder doing her EYTS and now I am supervising someone doing their level 3 so if I ever did decide to move out of childminding I think it would stand me in good stead for experience to work in a pre-school or nursery. (Can't say I'm convinced I want to move to either of those jobs but I'm going off childminding more and more with the govt interference!!)