PDA

View Full Version : Independent childminders need answers!

sarah707
17-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Childminders who want to stay independent of agencies are in danger of being sidelined by all the agency rhetoric ...

So, after some not-too-gentle prodding from Simona (thank you Simona! :clapping:) and with a heck of a lot of input from colleagues on our Independent Childminders Facebook group (thank you guys! :clapping:) a letter has been written.

It is an open letter to DfE / Ofsted and it is asking them to put US first!

We are the ones out here at the moment working with children - we need support, help, training, clarity - we need to know exactly where we stand and that our futures are secure.

Please share it - and print and send it to DfE / Ofsted if you have a moment - and Tweet or message it to Ms Truss.

Let's prod them and remind them that we are the most important people - we are out here right NOW - they cannot ignore us there are nearly 55,000 of us and most of us are saying NO to agencies! :cheerleader:

Thank you :D

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.childmindinghelp.co.uk%2F letter.doc&h=RAQHiW8XL

Sorry non FB members!! Document here - 8072

Write to DfE -
Department for Education
Castle View House
East Lane
Runcorn WA7 2GJ

Email Elizabeth Truss - elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

Write to Ofsted -
Sir Michael Wilshaw
Ofsted
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
Manchester
M1 2WD

Simona
17-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Childminders who want to stay independent of agencies are in danger of being sidelined by all the agency rhetoric ...

So, after some not-too-gentle prodding from Simona (thank you Simona! :clapping:) and with a heck of a lot of input from colleagues on our Independent Childminders Facebook group (thank you guys! :clapping:) a letter has been written.

It is an open letter to DfE / Ofsted and it is asking them to put US first!

We are the ones out here at the moment working with children - we need support, help, training, clarity - we need to know exactly where we stand and that our futures are secure.

Please share it - and print and send it to DfE / Ofsted if you have a moment - and Tweet or message it to Ms Truss.

Let's prod them and remind them that we are the most important people - we are out here right NOW - they cannot ignore us there are nearly 55,000 of us and most of us are saying NO to agencies! :cheerleader:

Thank you :D

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.childmindinghelp.co.uk%2F letter.doc&h=RAQHiW8XL

Write to DfE -
Department for Education
Castle View House
East Lane
Runcorn WA7 2GJ

Email Elizabeth Truss - elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

Write to Ofsted -
Sir Michael Wilshaw
Ofsted
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
Manchester
M1 2WD

So Sarah...my 'not too gentle prodding' worked...what about the fact that I have lost my voice over the many conversations we have had...you owe me big time but a packet of Olbas pastilles will do!!!! :thumbsup:

Yes we really need to get going on what matters most...independent CMs....so much has been written and speculated about agencies and no one is the wiser.
trials are under way and eventually they will become law in 2014...I do believe in small miracles so I hope they do not get an easy run but Sept 2014 is a long time for us to wait to get answers

On a brighter note the Lords have proposed a further amendement on the C&F Bill and agencies

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sectornews/124/peers-propose-further-amendments-to-children-and-families-bill-childminder-agency-proposals

Mrs Scrubbit
17-12-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm not on Facebook, so can't open the link:crying::crying: xx

loocyloo
17-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I thought it was just me / my phone that couldn't open it!

sarah707
17-12-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not on Facebook, so can't open the link:crying::crying: xx

So sorry! I didn't realise - I have put a copy on the Forum :)

Mrs Scrubbit
17-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks Sarah xx

loocyloo
17-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Thank you x

hectors house
17-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I have saved a copy and sent it as attachment to all members of our "Independent Childminding Network"
Big thank you to Sarah & Simona :clapping:

Simona
17-12-2013, 09:29 PM
So sorry! I didn't realise - I have put a copy on the Forum :)

Where in the forum is this blessed letter???

For those who are on twitter please send messages to
Truss @trussliz

to the DfE @educationgovuk

and Ofsted @Ofstednews
a simple message should do: please can you answer Independent CMs questions

Sarah...if you could fire off a first tweet please on behalf of the forum we can all retweet and spread it that way :idea:

Simona
17-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Panic over...found it! :thumbsup:

Mrs Scrubbit
17-12-2013, 09:46 PM
I haven't.........still :crying:xx

Simona
17-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I haven't.........still :crying:xx

Sarah put it in the original thread...scroll down to it and you will find it there :thumbsup:

Mrs Scrubbit
17-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Simona :doh:didn't see it hiding there!:blush: xx

Simona
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Sarah.....thank you for posting your letter to the ICMs LinkedIn group...we need to widen the audience and totally agree that CMs now need to have several questions answered

So far the focus has been on agencies...they do not exist at present but ICMs are here so I believe Truss has to trat us with equal concern

Simona
04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Please read 'Truss has to trat us with equal concern' as TREAT us...apologies for the spelling mistake!

sarah707
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I have no idea why this has taken so long to arrive… but it’s only just got here!

It is a brilliant letter and one I urge you all to read – it is the best and most comprehensive response we have ever had to some of our concerns about staying independent in the future including –

- Fees – DfE say they are ‘committed’ to ensuring fees remain affordable for independent childminders.

- Support – DfE says it will continue to be available to independent childminders via LAs and even agencies.

- Qualifications – confirmation that they have NO intention to raise qualification levels or require us to do extra training.

- Funding – independent childminders will NOT be refused funding if we are ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’. So, if this happens we must challenge it. DfE say they want more childminders to offer the places, not less.

- Reassurance for the future – parents will be able to continue using independent childminders AND getting vouchers, tax credits, funded places etc. these things will NOT be taken away from us!

I am delighted with this response from Ms Truss – it’s the first one I have seen which really answers the questions we asked.

We can use it to show LAs if they put up barriers to funding – and to answer questions if our colleagues are unsure about staying independent in the future :clapping:

sing-low
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
All sounds good. At least we have something in writing now rather than vague promises. Thanks for all your hard work on our behalf, Sarah.