PDA

View Full Version : contracts

playdayz
11-12-2013, 12:05 AM
I have used pacey contracts,child form ect in the past, thinking of using the ones on childcare.co.uk website does anyone use these and how have you found them x

jadavi
11-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Since hearing about a number of people who don't use contracts on here a few months ago I have felt more relaxed about using a home made adapted one that covers the basics - illness, period of notice, advance payment etc
I used a Ncma one for ages that was way too detailed - 4 pages. Was glad to drop that.
The people who don't use a contract said 'no money no care' is an understood thing with their parents and it worked for them! Can't bring myself to go that far.
Haven't seen the childcare.co one. I expect it's really good though judging from the rest of the stuff on there.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Go with what you feel is good for you. Just remember that the Pacey/NCMA ones will stand up in court.

Simona
11-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I feel we need to clarify that any contract stands up in a court as long as it has been signed by 'the cms and parents'
A contract is a legally binding document and the signatures make it so
Whether it is one you buy from an association or one that you have made yourself

You can devise your own contract and add any terms and conditions you like...many off the shelves lack many terms and I know cms have to add an additional page to cover themselves

A few years ago I was taken to a small claims court by a parent...it was my own contract that he had breached and the judge made that very clear to the parent...you have signed this contract and then breached the terms...the parent lost.

If unsure please get legal advice on the validity of a contract that you have done yourself

rickysmiths
11-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe what needs to be said is that if you are a member of Pacey and you need to use their Legal services they will prefer you to have Pacey Contracts.

I would advise if you write your own that you have them checked by a Contract expert to check they are not ambiguous and that they are water tight. In my experience of Contracts the shorter and clearer they are the better. Not pages and pages of waffle.

Also just because they have been signed by both parties does not mean they will always stand up in Court! It depends on how and what is in the Contract.

playdayz
11-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys, am not writing my own I was thinking of changing to the ones you can download if your a member of childcare.co.UK I have read them an they seem really good, they include child records too everythin in one place :) just wanted to know if anyone has used them?

Simona
11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I have said that if in any doubt cms can get advice on writing their own contract and that is advisable...plenty of support online too.

Contracts do not contain waffle if they outline the Terms and Conditions clearly...the length of a contract can vary according to what a cm wants to put in it....putting all requirements in one piece of paper often saves added paperwork...for instance a contract can include a Prospectus as well outlining the ethos of the setting and much more like children's records as said below

We must not dismiss other cms efforts ....we are unique and very different so I would salute any entrepreneurial efforts.
It goes without saying that parents would check what they sign and understand before they sign...very often they can suggest how to make things clearer...all part of self reflection

Simona
11-12-2013, 01:42 PM
If anyone is interested in making their own contract this link to the Citizen Advice Bureau is very useful

Citizens Advice - Consumer contracts - who are the parties to a contract? (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_protection_for_the_consumer_e/consumer_contracts_s/consumer_contracts_who_are_the_parties_to_a_contra ct.htm)

Smiley
11-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I have used my own for years and will continue to do so as they work for me

Simona
12-12-2013, 06:02 AM
I have used my own for years and will continue to do so as they work for me

Same here...I have used my own contract for the last 20 years and will continue to do so because I trust it works for me