PDA

View Full Version : Assistant, co-minder & numbers after having a second child.

stardust
10-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry I've not been on for a while, life has been hell anyway back on track now and hoping for a bit of help as Ofsted are making no sense as always..

I am due to have my second child in march, so my mum (currently is my assistant) is registering as my co minder. I am guessing that I will be able to have 1 under 5 (Baby being my under 1 and my son 33 mths at the time will take 2 under 5 spaces) and 3 over 5's and my mum will have 3 under 5's and 3 5-8's. Thus giving us 4 under 5 spaces between us. Now my questions are... (I did ask Ofsted but they sent me a document on minding numbers and I know floor space comes into consideration too)

1. Can I have 4 children under 5, with a variation or will the fact my co-minder has 3 mean I can not use the 4 under 5 rule? I don't intend to take on 4 under 5 just wondering what the rules were.

2. If I hire a nanny for my 2 children, will my 2 children still count in my numbers for will that release 2 their spaces?

3. When I took on my mum as an assistant I could have 6 under 5's, 6 5-8's. If me and my mum as co minders took on an assistant would this be the same (additional 3 under 5's)? Or would it be possible to drop my over 5's to under 5's (I don't want 9 children In my house just seeing if its possible to take on an assistant/nanny to allow me to take on 1 or 2 additional minded children)

Any other option I haven't considered? With 1 minded child It would not be worth me working as I would receive more on benefits, however I don't want to go on benefits so I am looking to see if there is an option for me to be able to mind 1/2 minded children to make it worth while.

Also a question for those with co-minders, what do you do about splitting the costs and income for example do you have a joint account and pay yourself a 'wage' etc.

God this is so stressful.

Thanks in advance xx

charlottenash
10-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Not much help but I know your children ALWAYS count in your numbers, when at school, with a nanny, with another childminder, it doesn't matter.

I don't know, this just popped into my head, could you mum 'mind' your children and then you could claim tax credits for them (depending on income).

Hope you get sorted x

stardust
10-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Not much help but I know your children ALWAYS count in your numbers, when at school, with a nanny, with another childminder, it doesn't matter.

I don't know, this just popped into my head, could you mum 'mind' your children and then you could claim tax credits for them (depending on income).

Hope you get sorted x

Thank you for your reply. I am completely baffled now as I was told, when I called ofsted that if my partner is home that my son can be removed from my numbers. Its so confusing!
I will look into the tax credits thing, our joint income is low so should be able to get childcare but then can I use my mum as shes at my house? So the address of child care would be the same as the child's home address- not sure if that would be okay but I suppose you can claim for a ofsted registered nanny cant you so maybe. I will call them and ask. Thank you x