PDA

View Full Version : House suitability for Ofsted Inspection

rebeccadv
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I have recently completed my childminding pre-reg course and bought a new house around the same time, I am currently working as a Nanny but want to change to childminding (I have all the relevant experience of EYFS as I used to manage a nursery) .....however and here is my problem ......there are a few things about my new property which I am not sure will be passed by Ofsted - do I get Ofsted to come out and inspect and then rectify or do i rectify beforehand??

1, we have recently had trees cut down at bk of house and there is a trace of a stream there which does have flow of water when it rains heavy (using previous exp and common sense) I would suspect that Ofsted would request a fence or this to be sectioned off??

2, Inside the house there are glass paneled doors (house is 70's build so I presume these are not tempered glass) - this I suspect would also be flagged by Ofsted??

3, We are planning to have an extension put on the house up and over the double garage and to convert half of the double garage into a playroom, (there is enough space in house to accommodate childminding as it currently stands) ......what would Ofsted Stance be on this? would they need to come out and re-assess/inspect when the building work starts?

Lastly - if Ofsted come out and inspect and there are issues which need addressing do I have a time limit to see to these issues? and will Ofsted charge a fee EACH time they have to come out and inspect or re-inspect?...........I hope this makes sense - its all quite confusing at the moment :panic:

munch149
10-12-2013, 07:47 AM
I believe ofsted don't need to see the finished home just do a detail risk assessment of your home and include any plan of action that you need to take. Glass I would say is a must Fence for stream desirable but depends on children you have as I think if you could prove you would teach children to avoid this then it might be ok. They won't reinspect if risk assessment is detailled enough. Do you have any childminding support workers who could look at this beforehand

Oh and when you build extension they would probably want you to send a plan of the house or may reinspect if this means you would like to increase your numbers

rickysmiths
10-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Ofsted have not come out to inspect new homes for a number of years now. You have to submit Risk Assessments to them.

However they will do a pre reg visit at which time they will check you and your home for suitability.

Yes like a pond I would expect they will want any water fenced off.

The glass in the doors, if it is at low level will have to be replaced or fitted with safety film.

With regard to the extension they will want Risk Assessments for the time during the work being done and then on any new space required to be included in your registration. I had a large extension built 3 years ago and even moved into a Porta Cabin for 12 weeks and all of it was approved without a visit.

You can ask all these questions at your Pre Reg Inspection.

They will not charge you because they won't do multiple inspections or visits.

Tazmin68
10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Just check that the deeds on the house does cover running a business. I was picked up on this but then found out that as we had bought the freehold I was ok but before that if it was leasehold I would not have been able to mind.

moggy
10-12-2013, 06:52 PM

1, we have recently had trees cut down at bk of house and there is a trace of a stream there which does have flow of water when it rains heavy (using previous exp and common sense) I would suspect that Ofsted would request a fence or this to be sectioned off??...

If it is only 'flowing water' when it rains heavily and soon reduces after, then I'd RA as keep children indoors (play elsewhere) when heavy rain, it is surely not that often? If it is a more common problem then yes, a barrier/fence to keep children away. Or address the drainage issue with pipes to move the flow of water underground- but that is more of a major fix.

samb
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Just check that the deeds on the house does cover running a business. I was picked up on this but then found out that as we had bought the freehold I was ok but before that if it was leasehold I would not have been able to mind.

I am a leaseholder and I just had to apply to my freeholder to ask for permission.

rebeccadv
16-12-2013, 10:13 PM
If it is only 'flowing water' when it rains heavily and soon reduces after, then I'd RA as keep children indoors (play elsewhere) when heavy rain, it is surely not that often? If it is a more common problem then yes, a barrier/fence to keep children away. Or address the drainage issue with pipes to move the flow of water underground- but that is more of a major fix.

Thank-you for this, of course as long as my RA outlines this, i didnt even think - I have so much to think about at mo its the simplest things that slip your mind

I think I will replace all doors as they are All glass and will be replaced in the future anyway

we are freehold so im ok with that

How long does it take Ofsted to come out and inspect? I am registered on the voluntary part of childcare register as a Nanny would this speed up my application or is it irrelevant?

I have people asking me to childmind for them every day in the area I live in! ....although depending on age and times I know i will have to turn people down as I would not be able to accommodate so many

Thank you all so much for your comments they have been very helpful :thumbsup: