PDA

View Full Version : What's the wprst christmas present you've ever received?

Mrsh3103
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
My DH came home last night really proud of himself for buying my mum a present. It's a machine that turns paper into blocks so you can burn them as fire wood.

He thought it was great. Im not so sure she'll be as impressed. I swnt him out to buy a pandora charm for her!!

What's the worst you've ever got?

Toothfairy
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Wine/champagne!
Hubby & I are virtually T-Total (hubby diabetic & I can't stand the taste) but friends and family keep giving us wine/champagne as gifts.
I've got bottles of the stuff collecting dust!! :D

Koala
07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
My DH came home last night really proud of himself for buying my mum a present. It's a machine that turns paper into blocks so you can burn them as fire wood.

He thought it was great. Im not so sure she'll be as impressed. I swnt him out to buy a pandora charm for her!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nice :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

line6
07-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Last year I was given a toothbrush cleaner! Ok so maybe something a person may want but surely not a gift? Especially as it turned out half the family got one! Bought by brother-in-laws long term girlfriend. Cheers!

Kiddleywinks
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Wine/champagne!
Hubby & I are virtually T-Total (hubby diabetic & I can't stand the taste) but friends and family keep giving us wine/champagne as gifts.

I'll pm you my address :laughing:

Rachel6
07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I asked for a jigsaw puzzle & hubby got me 6!!!!!

The Juggler
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I'll pm you my address :laughing:

share with me please :laughing::laughing:

tulip0803
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Wine here too - no-one drinks!

Also got a cheque from my mum one year as she was going to Oz for Christmas - she wrote it in my maiden name - I have been married twice!!!!!!

loocyloo
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM

now you see .... my mum would love the fire wood block maker ... she would think it was a great idea ... but she would never use it !!!

one year my SIL gave us a joint present of an icecream maker ... ''you like cooking and DH likes icecream'' ! I see the reasoning ... but we never ever used it, as in fact, although DH does like ice cream, he rarely eats it. I don't like it much! the SAME year my BIL gave me a framed box for my kitchen wall ... inside the box were lots of little compartments filled with dried flowers, dried corn kernals, bits of wheat .... get the picture? very 'farmhouse/country kitchen'. frame was about 12" square ... my kitchen was the tiniest box with no spare wall ( only 'empty' wall had the calendar & notice board on it ) and the whole kitchen was very modern and streamlined! ... when I opened it I burst out laughing thinking it was a joke present and then realised it WASN'T a joke! ( 14 years on and I still don't think DHs siblings 'know' me! but now DH tells them what I would like :D )

funemnx
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Wine/champagne!

I could help you out with that! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

cupcakencookie
07-12-2013, 05:51 PM
dh bought me a set of pans one year... to make matters worse it turned that he'd used some of the vouchers that i'd been awarded at work (pre childminding days) for employee of the year to buy them with and he spent the rest on camping equipment for himself grr!
Previous bf got me a frosted (dead!) xmas tree from the petrol station - how do i choose them lol!

WibbleWobble
07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I got an iron one year

I divorced him

Wibble x

Kiddleywinks
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I got an iron one year

I divorced him

Wibble x

:laughing::clapping::laughing:

My ex asked me what I wanted for Christmas one year and I replied 'a divorce'!

And Funemnx - back of the queue my dear, me and Juggler were here first ;)

merry
07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
My Mother in law once gave me a set of dusters, another year a blanket that smelled like she'd had it in her attic for years - I'm glad she sticks to cash now:laughing:

PixiePetal
07-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Un glazed, rustic pottery dishes - I can't touch unglazed stuff :panic: . Following year matching plates.............next year soup tureen. Stuck them in loft and then moved onto a jumble sale! Think it went on for 5 years in total, quite a haul!

All from SIL and her then husband. When they divorced the awful pottery stopped - must have had a job lot!

Then a few years ago (on her next husband by now!) we got a carrier bag holder thingy - with a cow head at the top. I know we live on a farm but we do have taste - she obviously does not!! Couldn't give it away, so another for the jumble sale box.

Always get given Baileys from ex parent - saw her in town today :). I wonder? same this year? Never have liked it but she thinks i do as my 2 closest CM friends do. Thinks we all like it. Friend gets a second bottle if shes lucky :blush:

cupcakencookie
07-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Ooh just remembered... dh's Grandmother got me a comb, handkerchief and 48hr scent-free heavyduty deodorant one year - how to give one a complex!!

LauraS
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Probably the Cookie Monster onesie I got from dh last year. To be fair to him, it is cosy etc and I do wear it when it is cold and I want to snuggle up and be warm. However, I would rather my husband buy me things more appropriate for a woman (and one that he is meant to fancy lol) than a ten year old. Or something that I have actually asked for. How to make me feel like a fat frumpy mum in one fell swoop.

I never said anything to him, will probably get the matching slippers this year.

His worst one was probably to coffee maker I bought him five years ago. He absolutely loves coffee, loves gadgets and used it loads, but still goes on about how could I possibly have thought it was an appropriate Christmas present?! Lol.

blue bear
07-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Ooh just remembered... dh's Grandmother got me a comb, handkerchief and 48hr scent-free heavyduty deodorant one year - how to give one a complex!!

That made me chuckle:laughing:

DH is terrible at gifts, one year we were really skint and had a budget of £5, he bought me a book I already had and didn't like plus the sequel and a toilet brush!

To this dayhe still can't understand what is wrong with buying a toilet brush (I hate them terribly unhygienic things) for a Christmas present for his wife.

tulip0803
08-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Not my present but my cousin's wife was given a present by our Nan - some lovely talc. On the side of the talc was written - "To Glad love Rose" (my Nan recycling a present from her sister!)

k-tots
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
My gran as always bought me and my oh a box of foxes family favourites (not the special ones that come out at Christmas) biscuits since we have been together....12 years lol....ny brother on the other had gets box of chocolates. ..keep telling her every year....would prefer chocolates. ..not big biscuit eaters....her reply...its for when I come over.....uumm gran u have only visited us a handful of times lol

mrstom
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
DHs grandma bought three of us (me, DH and SIL) a heavy duty torch each. No batteries, just the torch.

It was hilarious, we were sat round the table after lunch and I opened mine first. Obviously DH and SIL knew their gifts were the same as mine which set off fits of giggles - you know those giggles where you can't stop and it hurts to laugh!

Grandma passed away earlier this year so she won't be round the table with us but I'll never forget the torch Christmas :D

Mouse
08-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Last year my hubby bought me a yard of Jaffa cakes (those long boxes).

I've never liked Jaffa cakes. In fact the very thought of them makes me feel queasy. After 25 years together I'd have thought he would know that :rolleyes:

shortstuff
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
anything my mum buys me? she seems to think i need more ornaments to dust even though every year she asks what I would like and i ask for something that wont collect dust lol

Oh and when I was 14 my step father bought me a playboy necklace which i was too naive to recognise so wore it proudly to school to be ripped apart x:blush:

Kerry30
08-12-2013, 09:32 AM
This is soo funny :) you got to wonder whats going thru some peoples minds when buying xmas pressies :laughing:

Becci26
08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Last Christmas I received an awful hot pink and gold Lipsy handbag from the mil, not my cup of tea in the slightest!! Donated to the charity shop.

And the year before that (again from mil) a HUGE necklace that had clear acrylic flowers and sparkle, again not my sort if thing! Only that year we were at theirs for Christmas and I had to pretend I liked it and wear it the whole day!!! That has made it into the dressing up box..

clareelizabeth1
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I think mine was a blank card, with a cheque inside for £50 but instead of my name my Grandma had put happy birthday Clare. The bank wouldn't let me put it in. So that year I got nothing.

CC24
08-12-2013, 09:19 PM
A few years ago my mum got me some padded coat hangers that were meant to be scented, trouble was her husband smoked so they smelt awful. I said the usual lovely, thank you. I then got the same the following year aswell. My mum can be a bit strange

bunyip
09-12-2013, 08:20 AM
I think I'm the person who must be sending all those worst Christmas presents.

Each year Mrs Bunyip tells me she'd "like something different this year" which makes it sound as if I buy her the same things every year.

"But," I protest, "I buy you something different every year."

"Yes," says she, "and I want you to buy me something different from last year."

I wish she'd just tell me she doesn't like it while I still have the receipt. :p

AdeleMarie88
09-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I got a steam iron from my OH last year, he was delighted with himself. He said, and I quote "now you can get all the creases out my shirts" I think my response was along the lines of "*#$*#*# do your own *****#** ironing!!"

Rolacolapink
09-12-2013, 10:06 AM
My friends MIL used to collect the free face cream/shampoo/conditioner samples you get in magazines and wrap them up and give as a present.

I guess the MIL didn't like my friend!

bunyip
09-12-2013, 10:10 AM
My friends MIL used to collect the free face cream/shampoo/conditioner samples you get in magazines and wrap them up and give as a present.

I guess the MIL didn't like my friend!

The fact that I think that's a brilliant idea may well confirm how bad I am at choosing presents. :p

:rolleyes:

SYLVIA
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Fancy underwear from my husband (now ex). The underwear was actually nice. It was the fact that his secretary had gone and bought it because he said " I forgot what the date was and I was too busy to go out and look". Yes, so easy to happen because Xmas day changes dates every year! I would rather he had been honest and got nothing

smurfette
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
My friend bought me an exercise trampoline and an ab roller two years in a row! Granted we were trying to lose weight together but still!

smurfette
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

That made me laugh out loud!

Great thread!

smurfette
09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
My gran as always bought me and my oh a box of foxes family favourites (not the special ones that come out at Christmas) biscuits since we have been together....12 years lol....ny brother on the other had gets box of chocolates. ..keep telling her every year....would prefer chocolates. ..not big biscuit eaters....her reply...its for when I come over.....uumm gran u have only visited us a handful of times lol

Will she eat the whole box when she comes?!

smurfette
09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I think mine was a blank card, with a cheque inside for £50 but instead of my name my Grandma had put happy birthday Clare. The bank wouldn't let me put it in. So that year I got nothing.

Couldn't u have opened an account under the name 'happy birthday Clare'?! That must have been so frustrating!

Lo here beside me Trying to sleep and I am trying not to lol!!

Daisy1956
10-12-2013, 04:33 PM
A pair of purple slippers with a fancy fluffy feather bit on the front really tacky,from my mil, no wonder we never got on.

natalieatk
10-12-2013, 04:52 PM
My husband has told me his dad has got me a chocolate fountain this year......I'm 28...not 16 lol!

kellib
10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
My husband has told me his dad has got me a chocolate fountain this year......I'm 28...not 16 lol!

I'm 28 and I'd love a chocolate fountain lol!

mama2three
10-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I shall be referring back to this thread after Ive opened my secret santa to help me see who its from!