PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cats away from christmas tree...any tips??

AdeleMarie88
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Hey! Just wandered if anyone has any tips for keeping cats away from Xmas tree? I know if you spray your flowers with hair spray it keeps the rabbits away...wandered if there were any similar cat tips? X

loocyloo
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
hang the tree from the ceiling?

:laughing::laughing:

sorry ... I don't know any tips!

then first year we had our kitten, he climbed the tree and removed baubles endlessly!

the following year we had a pretend tree and he wasn't so bothered, he hasn't bothered much since! although he still removes all the baubles he can reach and takes them all over the house!

good luck x

Mouse
01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Our cat is 12 years old now & still goes up the Christmas tree. We have to attach it to the wall to stop it falling over :rolleyes:

SYLVIA
01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Ours climbed in ours the first year but they were only a few months old then. They don't seemed bothered this year although Molly is a tinsel fan and eats it every chance she gets. Muffin sits and watches his reflection in the baubles, bless him!

AdeleMarie88
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks all, I found a useful site that recommends putting tin foil around the base of the tree, and then scattering orange peel over it...apparently cats don't like the smell of citrus?? Someone also suggested sprinkling vinegar over the tree, but I don't really want my living room smelling of vinegar!! X

JCrakers
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Don't know...we put our tree up yesterday and my cats half destroyed it already....

Mindee arrived and I can say No to them but cats don't listen too well :rolleyes:

AdeleMarie88
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Don't know...we put our tree up yesterday and my cats half destroyed it already.... Mindee arrived and I can say No to them but cats don't listen too well :rolleyes:

I know, they just look at you, almost smirk and do Whatever they want! Hahaha

caz3007
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
No idea, my DD's cat is several years old and climbs the xmas tree. Last week he ate through the wire for the lights when they were switched on:mad: He was ok but a bit dazed, she hoped it may have put him off, but no. She has gone away for the weekend and her friend posted on FB, she kept losing the cat until she noticed the tree shaking :D

maisiemog
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
If you find something that works let me know! I'm always rescuing my tree from the cats!

AdeleMarie88
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm going to try the citrus peel and hopefully that does the trick. Someone on a forum suggested putting balloons in the tree, and then when the cat plays with tree, the balloon would pop and frighten them away...seems a bit cruel to me! (Although I'm certain it would work)

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Sprinkle pepper