PDA

View Full Version : DfE: Providers Influence on the Early Home Learning Environment

Simona
29-11-2013, 01:18 PM
This is a DfE publication to help providers understand how we can help parents in the Home Learning Environment
(HLE)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181753/DFE-RR142.pdf

hectors house
29-11-2013, 02:38 PM
This is a DfE publication to help providers understand how we can help parents in the Home Learning Environment
(HLE)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181753/DFE-RR142.pdf

Is there a summary version - I can't read 77 pages of it!

rickysmiths
29-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Saved to read later thanks.

JCrakers
29-11-2013, 03:07 PM
77 pages... I got to page 2

sarah707
29-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you for sharing hopefully nursery world will precis it soon for us :D

Simona
29-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Is there a summary version - I can't read 77 pages of it!

I am going to print (will make sure it sits on my table for Mrs O on the day!!), read it and then see if I can highlight the pages most relevant to us

Looking at the Contents though these are the chapters and the pages most relevant...and I see there is also reference to EPPE! Hurray!

6.4 Parents and early home learning: reported changes after six months
in a funded childcare place 42

6.5 Parent views of early years settings: changes after six months 47

6.6 Engaging parents in early home learning 52

6.7 How early years staff communicate with parents about early home
learning and implications for training and leadership 58

6.8 Early years staff views of how the Early Years Foundation Stage
(EYFS) helps to support early home learning 63

6.9 The role of key workers in supporting early home learning 65

This bit is very interesting...this work was not commissioned by the DfE but they clearly appear on the document

This research report was commissioned before the new UK Government took office on 11 May 2010.
As a result the content may not reflect current Government policy and may make reference to the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) which has now been replaced by the Department for Education (DFE).
The views expressed in this report are the authors’ and do not necessarily reflect those of the Department for Education.

miffy
29-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks Simona - interesting but I could do with a shorter version!

Miffy xx

Simona
29-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Miffy xx

Concentrate on the chapters I highlighted below
The first bit is about the study and its methodology then it gets down to basics...from page 42 on to 67...so that's not too many pages to take in.
Look at page 65 (6.9) the Role of the key person...that is very pertinent to us and reflects what we have discussed here in the forum...lots of suggestions we can relate to.

Let's keep this discussion going...it will be worth it.

FloraDora
30-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Miffy xx

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182325/DFE-RBX-10-11.pdf

This is the executive summary for that report - although the key areas outlined by Simona give more interesting reading.

Following this report I started a group at my setting called PEEP :

peep - How could PEEP support your work with families? (http://www.peep.org.uk/section.asp?id=7)

The tips from this web page are useful.

PEEP - was the key to establishing pre school home learning in my school, parents loved it (and they gained a qualification) and data showed that parents who participated in the sessions went on to continue to be interested and involved in their child's learning and their children achieved well.

Interestingly, when the parents completed their feedbacks most said the biggest factor stopping them interacting with their children at home was the TV. After one discussion around this the group went home and tried a switch off the tv and talk focus.....amazing results came from this......children talked about games and activities they had done at home, parents were positive and said life was less fraught as lots of arguments previously stemmed from switching the tv off and who was watching what programme. Children read with an adult every night and there was a thirst for books, joining a library, borrowing more from school....parents became more interested in their child's daily activities, had time to talk about them, rather than going home and watching dvds....lots of continuation of nursery themes happened and parents became more aware of child's attainment and next steps and held conversations confidently with staff.

It's rather different as a childminder, but I think one of the key things is to give time at pick up, share the enthusiasm for the days activities through the children and let the children take home a game, book etc.. To continue at home with parents and to find other ways to have quiet times...not via the TV...stories, music etc...if we set this example during the day, parents might not rely so much on dvd's and Tv programmes at home.

Great reading Simona, thank you for sign posting this research, I enjoyed reading it with a childminders head on this time round!

Simona
30-11-2013, 03:16 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182325/DFE-RBX-10-11.pdf

This is the executive summary for that report - although the key areas outlined by Simona give more interesting reading.

Following this report I started a group at my setting called PEEP :

peep - How could PEEP support your work with families? (http://www.peep.org.uk/section.asp?id=7)

The tips from this web page are useful.

PEEP - was the key to establishing pre school home learning in my school, parents loved it (and they gained a qualification) and data showed that parents who participated in the sessions went on to continue to be interested and involved in their child's learning and their children achieved well.

Interestingly, when the parents completed their feedbacks most said the biggest factor stopping them interacting with their children at home was the TV. After one discussion around this the group went home and tried a switch off the tv and talk focus.....amazing results came from this......children talked about games and activities they had done at home, parents were positive and said life was less fraught as lots of arguments previously stemmed from switching the tv off and who was watching what programme. Children read with an adult every night and there was a thirst for books, joining a library, borrowing more from school....parents became more interested in their child's daily activities, had time to talk about them, rather than going home and watching dvds....lots of continuation of nursery themes happened and parents became more aware of child's attainment and next steps and held conversations confidently with staff.

It's rather different as a childminder, but I think one of the key things is to give time at pick up, share the enthusiasm for the days activities through the children and let the children take home a game, book etc.. To continue at home with parents and to find other ways to have quiet times...not via the TV...stories, music etc...if we set this example during the day, parents might not rely so much on dvd's and Tv programmes at home.

Great reading Simona, thank you for sign posting this research, I enjoyed reading it with a childminders head on this time round!

Thank you for posting about PEEP Flora Dora....I had come across it for my degree and I think it is still very relevant today
Some LAs have delivered PEEP ...others have not
I think it would be very good if something like this came back on the training agenda so it could be something we could suggest when they ask what sort of training we would like.