PDA

View Full Version : New to childminding

lisa84
21-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I'd like to become a childminder, can anyone let me know where to start and what/if any qualifications are required. Also how long does the registration process usually take?

I live in England and we are currently renting. I have a 13 month old daughter and think childminding would be the perfect career change for me. I was reading on another page that you need permission from the landlord - is this the case for registration?

Many thank, Lisa

tulip0803
21-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi Lisa

Your first point of call is you local council's Family Information Service (FIS) they will explain to you the process is your area. You will need to do a starting childminding course approved by your LA. You may have to attend a briefing session before attending the course. You will need to do Paediatric First Aid, safeguarding and food hygiene courses but you will be told about this during your registration process. Depending on your local area it can take anything from 3 to 12 months to register.

Before you are able to complete registration you need to provide proof that your landlord has given permission for you to childmind from his house. The OFSTED inspector will need to see this proof.

More info can be found here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

Good luck

lisa84
22-11-2013, 07:59 AM
That's great, thanks so much!!