PDA

View Full Version : what do I DO?

childminder54
17-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Ive got two mindees who do not want me to do the eyfs on their children what do I do

veronicaxx

Spangles
17-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I can't help, I was under the impression that it was mandatory and couldn't be opted out of.

Maybe if you explained it to the parents again they wouldn't object - I don't see the point in what they have decided? They may not fully understand perhaps?

Sorry, I'm no help am I! Ignore me!

Mrs M
17-07-2008, 04:27 PM
As far as I'm aware it's the law so they'd have no choice in the matter, wherever they send their children. Maybe Google it for them or if you have any literature on EYFS and provide them with the information. Explain that if they don't want you to take photographs of their children then you don't have to - you can still follow the EYFS without them, you'd just record your obs in the usual way. Surely the EYFS is all about children playing, learning, child lead play etc so I really can't see how anyone would or could object to this. It's about children coming first, it's us who have the extra bits with all the paperwork, not the parents.

Pipsqueak
17-07-2008, 04:46 PM
What is it exactly they don't want you to do? The obs, photographing etc.
EYFS is mandatory. During one of our earlier sessions there were a couple of minders who said their parents didn't want them to do this either.
It can be done without including identifying details about the child. You just write up obs using initials, photos of what has been done - even if its pix of empty swings! (you get my drift) and linking it to eyfs.
You get the parent to sign something saying that they do not want their child identified in the obs/pix etc.
You can still have your planning/assesment sheets.

There is some parents information that you print of and give to them.
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/11324/00108-2007FLY-EN.pdf

childminder54
17-07-2008, 05:06 PM
they say they want a home from home if they wanted all the paper work obs pho ect they just donot want it done on their child they would send them to nursery that they do not do anythink like this at home they dont want it done they say they have a right to say how they want me to look after their children just let them play,

veronicaxx

brillminder
17-07-2008, 05:13 PM
what you keep note of will not hinder their play will it just let you extend it more by noting thier interests, development etc :)

sarah707
17-07-2008, 05:14 PM
You are just letting them play, that's fine, that's what eyfs is all about.

Nothing needs to change as far as what the children are doing with you!

Tell the parents they will have a home from home atmosphere, they will play every day, they will still read books and make dens and do all the exciting things children have always done with you.

It's not about that... it's about the stuff you have to write down and if parents don't want to see it then fine, they don't have to. You can get them to sign something to say they don't want to be involved...

Then, when they make comments and tell you things about what their child is doing at home, you can just write them in the children's books, parents don't have to actually do a thing.

Hope that helps :D

Spangles
17-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Do they think that you will be 'teaching' them like in at school?

Maybe they don't understand that playing is exactly what the children will be doing. They'll be doing things like they would at home but you will be noting them learning something new, what their interests are, how to develop them - just like parents do in their heads but instead it will be on paper?

Some parents just seem determined to make our jobs more difficult!

Chimps Childminding
17-07-2008, 06:26 PM
some of my mums have expressed similar views, they are quite happy to have a "home from home" environment for their children, as they would do if they didn't have to go out to work. Especially the ones who'se children receive funding to go to nursery, one mum said if she wanted her daughter to go to nursery full time she could and wouldn't have to pay so much, but she doesn't!

I'm just hoping that when they see it doesn't really change much, they will be on our side.:thumbsup:

Noodles
17-07-2008, 08:58 PM
they say they want a home from home if they wanted all the paper work obs pho ect they just donot want it done on their child they would send them to nursery that they do not do anythink like this at home they dont want it done they say they have a right to say how they want me to look after their children just let them play,

veronicaxx

I spoke to someone who felt exactly the same.
she said she didnt want any observations carried out on her child she wanted a childminder to be home from home and not like a nursery.
I seems like there are a lot of parents like this.
If we need to work in partnership with parents how can we overcome this.

sarah707
17-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I spoke to someone who felt exactly the same.
she said she didnt want any observations carried out on her child she wanted a childminder to be home from home and not like a nursery.
I seems like there are a lot of parents like this.
If we need to work in partnership with parents how can we overcome this.

We overcome it by doing exactly what we have been doing all along ... making scrap books for the children, noting their interests, planning for their future learning by taking their interests onto the next level and informing parents how wonderful their children are and what great things they have learned today through play and exploration.

Then in the background, not bothering anyone, we do all the bits Ofsted expect us to do. :D

Rainy
17-07-2008, 09:12 PM
One of my mums has said the same thing. She is acutally a teacher herself and said she chose a childminder over a nursery because she wanted her DS to have a home from home setting. She wants him to do the same things in the day with me that he would do with her and she would not be doing obs on him.

What bl**dy idiot thinks up these stupid rules and regulations anyway.:mad:

Noodles
17-07-2008, 09:16 PM
We overcome it by doing exactly what we have been doing all along ... making scrap books for the children, noting their interests, planning for their future learning by taking their interests onto the next level and informing parents how wonderful their children are and what great things they have learned today through play and exploration.

Then in the background, not bothering anyone, we do all the bits Ofsted expect us to do. :D

Thanks for that sarah but would it look bad on us if we didnt have observations and such for the child when inspection time came around.

sarah707
17-07-2008, 09:23 PM

This is the important bit ... we do all the stuff Ofsted expect of us, but we also take the parents views into consideration and we do not involve them overtly in the Ofsted process.

So we still ask them questions, we still find out how they feel about things, we still write down what parents say to us about different things, we do our newsletters and ask for their comments about things... all the good practice that we've always done.

But what we don't do is worry parents by having them think we're doing all this to the detriment of their child's care. We show them, by what we are doing, by the activiites we're showing we've done, by the stories their children are taking home with them ... that their child comes first ...

They will see nothing has changed for their child and be happy about that ... we will have the stuff needed for Ofsted by beavering away in the background when the child is busy playing. If we make it all do-able and easy for the parents they will not realise anything has changed - and they can go away at the end of their child's time with us, with a rather nice learning journey / celebration book / photo album / scrap book ... whatever you choose to call it.

Hope that makes sense :D

Gherkin
19-07-2008, 04:40 AM
This is the important bit ... we do all the stuff Ofsted expect of us, but we also take the parents views into consideration and we do not involve them overtly in the Ofsted process.

I entirely agree with Sarah. Luckily none of my parents have complained about the EYFS but then I have been very clear on the fact that it is required by law and that it will not impact on the childs care but will enhance it because through the observation process it will help me plan by days around the childs interests.

Tatia
19-07-2008, 07:27 AM
they say they have a right to say how they want me to look after their children just let them play,

Yes the most definitely have a right to say how you look after their child but they do not have a right to tell you how run your business.

I think Sarah has offered good advice. In fact, I think if you offered parents a peek at the learning journey you've compiled for their child, with all the photos and obs of their learning after a term, they'd be delighted to see all the great things they've gotten up to and realize how much play and fun the child has actually had.

wendywu
19-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I thought it was law, even private schools have to do it. That what all the fuss was about you pay for your childs education but the goverment still pokes its nose in. So what ever setting these parents choose unless they stay at home with their children, they will be assessed within the EYFS framework.:)

childminder54
20-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes the most definitely have a right to say how you look after their child but they do not have a right to tell you how run your business.

I think Sarah has offered good advice. In fact, I think if you offered parents a peek at the learning journey you've compiled for their child, with all the photos and obs of their learning after a term, they'd be delighted to see all the great things they've gotten up to and realize how much play and fun the child has actually had.

they do not tell me how to run my business i agree with them it the goverment who are telling us how to run our busness what they are saying ..

to much paper work we didnt have this when we was under social services and it worked well

veronicaxx

disney
20-07-2008, 09:16 PM
i must admit i have had 2 parents say to me that they are concerened about this and funny thing is they are both teachers as well :( one has said that they do not want any photos taking of their child as she was worried any could see him ! and another one said pics taken of activities is as far as shes concernerd evidence of this for ofsted and certainly not needed for me to show her as we have a good trust & that she did not want her child observed as she felt as a parent it is her job . im still having some problems in making them understand :eek: x

hillbilly
26-07-2008, 10:05 AM
There is a tread at the top of this topic about the EYFS exemptions. Maybe this would help?

Kelly

hillbilly
26-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Meant thread, not tread!