PDA

View Full Version : new to childminding

smythsam
13-11-2013, 05:48 PM
hi all this is my first post so bear with me lol
my friend and i have just been on the pre reg course as we are co minding together, what a lot of information to digest
we are dorset so have to do their approved course but my question was we are both early years educators and the course is 12 weeks long covering the EYFS!! wont we be just repeating everything we already know?
i see you can do it online but council will not let us do it that way, if the certificate is the same that you need to show to ofsted i was just wondering if anyone knew why not lol
thanks

tulip0803
13-11-2013, 08:11 PM
All local authorities have their own rules for registration courses. The EYFS states childminders must have completed their local authority approved training course before they can register with Ofsted. Your LA runs their own course which you have to do to register, others do an online course, it does not just cover EYFS it is also likely to cover.

- What it is like to be a childminder as it is different to working in all other child care,
- what support is available to childminders in the area,
-how to access training in the area,
- records that childminders need to keep,
- accounts
- safeguarding (not just the children but yourselves and your families from allegations and what to do if it happens),
- situations you may come across in childminding that you wouldn't necessarily come across in other childcare,
- policies and procedures,
- the actual application with OFSTED

to name but a few things. Even if you have an early years degree EYFS states that you still have to do the LA approved training course.