PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight through exercise

gef918
10-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi

I've dieted a few times over the past few years, trying to lose baby weight. However, the weight has come back on and I want to try exercising rather than dieting this time. However, I'm not sure what to do, since I've never done much in the way of exercise. I used to enjoy swimming, but due to an inner ear imbalance, I can no longer do this. My local gym overlooks the swimming pool, so this is also out. Any ideas?

chris goodyear
10-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I've done weight watchers in the past and just self discipline but as you say once you get back to 'normal' eating the weight just goes back on plus more! I joined a Rosemary Conley class 18 months ago and I love it!!:)I don't know what part of the country you are in but I'm sure you'll find a class if you Google it. The classes are a great support and you will really feel a part of a team as opposed to Weight Watchers where I felt an individual. The exercise is great and for any age/ability, in our class we have members from early 20's to 65+. You get out what you put in and there are DVD's that you can buy to do at home for extra exercise or if there is not a class near you. I've lost a stone and would like to lose another stone and a half but even when I do I think I'll probably keep going for the exercise and to meet up with all my new friends. Good luck.

clairer
10-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I go jogging. I have worked myself to about 3k. I even did a run for cancer research. I put my music on and see some pretty little lanes and animals. I hate the gym. Not been for about three weeks though as keep getting sore throats BOO!

Ripeberry
10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
I find that joining a group of people who do exercise together is the best way. If you go to the gym by yourself you just get bored. I've been on a 'Bootcamp' since February and have lost loads of weight and feel fitter and stronger. We meet two or three times a week. The best exercise so far is 'Spin' using the static bikes. Makes you work so hard! I also use a Fitbit Flex. A little wristband that monitors how many steps/calories you do. It also shows how well you sleep at night.
You can find out about it here: Fitbit (http://www.fitbit.com) :thumbsup:

The Juggler
10-11-2013, 08:46 PM
there is a theory you can't out exercise bad nutrition so weightloss is 80% food and 20% exercise. you can maximise your exercise for weightloss at home or in the gym or out by just doing 10-15 mins per day but flat out. So run at speed after a warm up - up and down the stairs - or lunges, star jumps push ups in the kitchen - do 50 sec slots followed by 10-20 sec rest periods. it works:thumbsup:

Tulip
10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Take a friend for support, you won't want to let each other down by giving it a miss one week which then becomes two weeks and so on x