PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt Cake

Tealady
08-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm reading a very interesting book at the moment called "French Children Don't Throw Food". Its written by an American journalist, living with her British husband and they are raising their children in Paris. It very interestingly compares French Child rearing and family life to that of American and British families.

Anyway, there is a useful recipe for Yoghurt Cake which quite young children often make with no or very little help. Thought I'd share on here as I think it would be good to do with little ones who are wanting or needing to be a bit more independent as they can measure all the ingredients themselves as you use the empty yogurt pot as a measure, choose the flavourings, and mix it quite easily as it doesn't need beating.

Gateau au Yaourt (Yogurt Cake)

2 Tubs plain full-fat yogurt (individual size - about 175g each)
2 Eggs
1 to 2 tubs of sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1tsp Vanilla Essence
just under 1 tub of vegetable oil (or other flavourless oil)
4 tubs plain flour
1½tsp Baking Powder

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (gas mark 5). Use Vegetable oil to grease a 9-inch round pan or loaf tin

Gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; mix gently until the ingredients are combined but do not over mix.
You can add 2 tubs of frozen berries, a tub of chocolate chips or any flavouring you like. Cook for 35 minutes, then 5 minutes more if it doesn't pass the knife test. It should be crispy on the outside, but springy on the inside. Let it cool.
The cake is delicious served with tea and a dollop of Crème Fraiche.

Will try this over the weekend. Might let my nearly 8 year old be in charge and she can direct my 4 year old DS... She likes being bossy!!

sing-low
08-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I've made this - got the recipe from one of her other books (can't remember the name). Would recommend the recipe - it's yummy but from memory it takes longer to cook than the recipe says.

Does she wax lyrical on the écoles maternelle in your book too?

Tulip
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
sounds lovely

Tealady
08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
I've made this - got the recipe from one of her other books (can't remember the name). Would recommend the recipe - it's yummy but from memory it takes longer to cook than the recipe says.

Does she wax lyrical on the écoles maternelle in your book too?

Yes and all the other free state childcare! However my friend lived there a few years ago and there taxed much more heavily at source then we are so they pay for it that way.

samb
09-11-2013, 08:55 AM
What would you consider to be "a tub"?

MessybutHappy
09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
The tub is the yoghurt pot itself... You rinse it out and use it as the measuring guide! It's very clever!

samb
09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Ah I see - I like that idea! So just a normal yogurt pot size or the big pots?

Tealady
09-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Ah I see - I like that idea! So just a normal yogurt pot size or the big pots?

Normal size, but I have found these hard to get in plain yoghurt. Might keep the tub and by a big pot next time. They can then measure the yoghurt too!

tas
09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds good :)

Christi
09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I used a very similar recipe/method to this during my Ofsted inspection and the inspector loved it!

samb
10-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks think ill have a go- I like the idea of easy measuring :-)

shortstuff
10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Might get ds to try this thanks x

gef918
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Great for early maths skills.

And yummy too.

Kaybeaa
10-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Ooh I'm going to try this tomorrow. Was just wondering about baking. Thanks!