PDA

View Full Version : 2 year progress check

chezzagriff
08-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I have a child who started last week but turned 2 the week before. Do I still do initial assessments or do a 2 year progress check? Also what happens when I have done the progress check? I have a sheet I have downloaded with the 3 main areas on but does it just go in their observation file?

sarah707
08-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Every child needs a 'starting points' document which talks about what they can do when they first start in your care.

Following on from that chat to parents about what you are working on next - and together write a 2 year progress check which should tie in with the child's 2 year Health Visitor check.

Put everything in the child's file.

Hth :D

hectors house
08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I phoned the health visitors in my town to ask at what age they carry out the 2 year development check - in our town they so called do them at 2 1/2 but one of my mindees was 2 1/2 end of last month and still hasn't had an appointment through. If you look on the Foundation stage website it does say that to try to delay doing the check if a child is new to your setting, so I would phone the HV team and find out when you need to do your side of it - I delayed doing mine on the current 2 1/2 year old as I feel he has speech and language issues so wanted the info I put down to be as current as possible as 6 months can make a world of difference.

A 2 year check just has to be done before the child turns 3 but obviously good to tie in with HV if you can.

Bluebell
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
They aim to do them at 2 years 3 months here and I've been caught out with one -

'when is B's 2 year check due? - have you heard yet?'
'Oh it was yesterday!'

doh! I had done the report just not gone through with parent to hand over. Fortunately I had no concerns about this particular child so wasn't too worried that it didn't go onto HV. The other child that I had concerns about I made sure I had done straight away and it did result in a referral and as a result a problem identified so I was pleased.

Maybe ask the parent to keep you up to date with when the appt is so you can start making your observations and will have more of an idea were the child is when the appt comes up - if you still feel uncomfortable making the 'judgements' maybe write a short report for the HV stating that you have only had child for short time and are still getting to know the child but that so far you have no concerns / are keeping an eye on a certain thing (like speech or whatever) maybe ask parent to sign saying they give permission for contact between you and HV so if HV has particular question they can get in touch.

blue bear
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I've had a child recently start with me aged 21/5,the previous childminder has not completed the two year check, the child had her hv 2 year check at aged two.
I have used the childminders transfer info, info from parents and my initial observation to form starting points. I will do a written two year check after 12 weeks (end of term and just before she is three)

gef918
10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I had a child join me a few weeks before his second birthday. I didn't do the 2 year check then, because I didn't feel I had enough information.

When I had my inspection, the inspector wasn't happy that I hadn't done it yet (the child was 25m), but I explained that I had discussed it with the child's parent and my development worker (who had recently assessed the child due to autism concerns) and we had all agreed to leave it until the child was 28 months, so that we had a clearer idea of his development. Since the timing of the 2 year check is supposed to be agreed with parents, the inspector backed down. I think it helped though that I had a huge amount of information I had collected/observed about the child, so I could easily write a report for a HV when he had his 2 year check. The reason I hadn't, is because I had agreed the timing with parents, not because I was lazy/inadequate, etc.