PDA

View Full Version : Receipts - do you sign yours?

teacakepenguin
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Hiah

I've been using the MM receipts but am starting to run low, so rather than buy more I'm going to create my own, also as I have horrible handwriting which looks so unprofessional.

MM have a space for the childminder to sign the receipt, is this necessary? I can't see why it would be.

Thanks
Jx

clairer
07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
I try to but I am SO behind with my receipts! Pinning the parents down to sign them is a pain, they just want to get home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

teacakepenguin
07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Ooh I wouldn't bother getting the parent to sign, why do you do that? There's not a space on the MM one for that - I just present receipts, often with the next bill :)

clairer
07-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know if it's an Ofsted requirement to sign receipts?

rachelle
07-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Ofsted don't care about the money side of things. I email receipts - essentially their invoice with paid in full typed on it!

rickysmiths
08-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Both I and my parents sign all receipts because a parent can not say they have not had one if we both sign and they know I have a signed copy in their file. It can help if there was ever a dispute and it also save time if a parent 'looses' their receipts and need copies for tax credits. I just copy them all.

samb
08-11-2013, 08:40 AM
I now do receipts as a PDF document that I email as I'm trying not to use paper unnecessarily, some parents don't want receipts etc but this way they're not bothered and I have a log of all receipts sent

chezzagriff
08-11-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a receipt book that I got from wilkinson a that I use. That way I'm up to date with who's paid, I have proof so that parents can't say they have paid when they haven't and also I have proof of income at the end of the tax year

rickysmiths
08-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Do remember guys that if you use Pacey Contracts remember that section 1 part k on page 4 says :

'The registered Childminder agrees to: Issue a receipt for payments received.

You have signed and agreed to do this whether the parent wants it or not you need to give them one and keep a copy for your records. If they throw it away that is their call.

bunyip
08-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I always issue them and sign them. Put simply, I cannot think of a good reason not to sign them. If I were a client, I think I'd be a bit suspicious if any self-employed service-provider refused to issue a signed receipt on request.

Btw, lack of a receipt doesn't prove that a parent did not make a payment. It is very hard to prove any sort of non-occurrence. But I think it would be a good legal argument if a CM could show 'due diligence' with a consistent record of signed receipts up to the point where the payment was missed. :thumbsup:

hectors house
08-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I have my own printed receipts that I then complete by hand, I do sign the receipt but I don't keep a copy - the purpose of a receipt is to show money paid - if they haven't paid they won't be issued with a receipt.

An invoice/bill shows money that is due - a receipt shows money received/paid.

gef918
10-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks rickysmiths - I use the PACEY contracts, but hadn't noticed that condition. I have only issued receipts in the past when parents have asked for them. I will change this in the future.

Allie
10-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I use pacey contracts and just added when requested to the bit about receipts as when I used to provide them they just stayed in the chidrens bags getting trashed

teacakepenguin
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I always give receipts regardless of if they want them or not, and I use the MM ones just now, and I add along the top of it the invoice number(s) it relates to so it ties up all my loose ends. I have one spreadsheet which lists all my invoices, date created, number, amount, who and status.

I can't see any reason for me to sign the receipts too - I mean, if I bought something from Asda they don't sign the receipt. It's not a legal requirement for a receipt to be signed, to my knowledge.

I'll continue to ponder it, but at the moment I can't see any good reason to do it.

Jx