PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED: New Framework for the regulation of provision on the EY register

Simona
06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Just out from Nov 2013

Ofsted | Framework for the regulation of provision on the Early Years Register (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/framework-for-regulation-of-provision-early-years-register#)!

loocyloo
06-11-2013, 07:37 PM
thanks.

just skimmed it ... has anything changed ? apart from the wording 'requires improvement' to replace satisfactory?

Simona
06-11-2013, 08:03 PM
thanks.

just skimmed it ... has anything changed ? apart from the wording 'requires improvement' to replace satisfactory?

Worth reading through Loocyloo...there are a lot of clarifications and also a couple of things that are confusing
I will read it again but these stick out at the moment

Carrying out checks
25. For applicants to provide childminding or childcare on domestic premises, we carry out checks on every person living or working on the premises aged 16 and over where the childminding and/or childcare is to take place; and every person caring for children. This includes the criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service.

Does Ofsted do the CRB for CMs?

Notice periods
44. Group providers normally receive no notice of the inspection. Childminders or group providers that do not operate regularly, such as summer play schemes, will usually receive a call no more than five days before the inspection to check which days they are operating and whether there are children on roll and present. If there are no children on roll or present the inspection will be rescheduled unless Ofsted has decided it will go ahead. This may be, for example, because it is close to the end of the inspection cycle.

Not clear what grade we would get if no children are on roll but the inspection goes ahead because it is the end of the cycle...good to know CMs still get notice though

Early years provision judged as requires improvement
57. We monitor nurseries and pre-schools judged as requires improvement within six months of the date of the inspection and re-inspect within 12 months of the date of the inspection. We publish monitoring letters after each monitoring visit. A nursery or pre-school which has been judged as ‘requires improvement ‘at two consecutive inspections and is still not ‘good ‘at its third inspection is likely to be judged inadequate

Does not clarify what happens to Cms graded inadequate

Information about providers
63. If the concern is very minor we will refer it back to the provider to deal with and will check what they have done at their next inspection

This is good to know but we could do with clarification on what minor concern is

Enforcement
68. We have powers of enforcement when registered persons are failing to meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage, regulations or conditions of registration, or where an unregistered person is providing childminding or other childcare. We aim to take a consistent and proportionate approach to enforcement. We will consider the particular circumstances of each case before deciding what action to take to bring about compliance or to cancel registration.

Not too clear here about unregistered CMs but it is very clear here on page 17

serving an enforcement notice on an unregistered person acting as a childminder

loocyloo
06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks xxx

Simona
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Sarah 707...have you dissected this document yet?...no pressure!!
Waiting for your opinion on whether those 'sticky' points are worth looking into???

sarah707
08-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Yes I've had a good look through it - it's on the other computer - i am trying to remember...

DBS checks are sent when the application form goes in to Ofsted - the cm has to pay.

The no children on roll inspection factsheet says that they only inspect you to check you are meeting the requirements if you don't have children - so you don't get a grade.

Cms graded unsatisfactory - I think it's monitoring 3 months later and inspection 6 months later. If not pulled up there's a timescale for cancelling registration.

I think they will have left minor concerns vague so they can make a judgement based on the individual case.

I have pulled a few more useful bits and bobs off it too :D

Simona
08-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes I've had a good look through it - it's on the other computer - i am trying to remember...

DBS checks are sent when the application form goes in to Ofsted - the cm has to pay.

The no children on roll inspection factsheet says that they only inspect you to check you are meeting the requirements if you don't have children - so you don't get a grade.

Cms graded unsatisfactory - I think it's monitoring 3 months later and inspection 6 months later. If not pulled up there's a timescale for cancelling registration.

I think they will have left minor concerns vague so they can make a judgement based on the individual case.

I have pulled a few more useful bits and bobs off it too :D

For goodness' sake can't the DfE and Ofsted ever write something in plain English that leaves no one wondering what it means or have to interpret their intention?? :mad:

Look forward to hearing what other rabbits you are going to pull out of the hat before I read the document again!! :D