PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from another childminder

Karen1
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Had a potential mum confirm she wants her child to come to me as her childminder is stopping work in jan. So from jan I will have child, question is should I just ask mum to give me the previous childminders learning journal and outcomes etc, or what paperwork should I ask for we from previous childminder. Child is two.

Thanks

critch
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I had same situation with 2 different children, I asked for exactly the same info fm both previous childminders : they were to complete the 2 year check prior to the move as they had spent more time with them, and also a handover document and any relevant information, this is what I got:
Child 1 got full learning journey and hand over sheet which was 2 pages long with info on each of the 7 areas!
Child 2 I got absolutely nothing she couldn't produce anything for mum!

I think you should ask for the same , not necessarily to keep but just so you can have a look and then give back to mum that way you will have an understanding of the child even though you have to do your starting points yourself anyway!

clairer
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Yes I would ask for the learning journal and the two year check if completed from the old child minder.

kellyskidz!
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I'd ask but you may not get, I had a child from another minder and requested her file and any info she could give me (tips on sleeping, behaviour to look out for) and got nothing back
I know I shouldn't expect it but I'd be happy to give advice to another minder, especially since the child came to me because this minder had given notice so she could take on a full timer, not like things ended on bad terms. People can be very funny about handing over info, even though its not an issue if mum is happy for them to do so x

loocyloo
06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I would ask for info, or maybe, if childminder is local you could ask for contact details (ask mum if childminder happy for you to contact her) and maybe pop over for a visit/chat. helps child to settle with you. when I was moving, I took all my LOs on 'playdates' at their new minders house ( along with the rest of my LOs ). I also did a transfer sheet of where they were in their development.

BUT, I lived in a village and already knew all the minders 'my' children were going to.

I gave the parents the childs LJ and suggested that they showed to the new minder. ( I also told the new minders that parents had/would have LJs and to ask to see it, if it wasn't forthcoming! )

for one child I did sign my name all over transfer document/LJ as I was fully aware that new minder was not above passing other peoples work off as their own! ( so at least if it was used, Ofsted would know it was 'working in partnership' not own work! )

Karen1
06-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Thank you. Will def ask and hopefully will get. Gd idea o have own name on it to prove own work. Thanks

gef918
07-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I would try to speak to the minder (with parent's permission). When some of my mindees left, I asked mum to give my details to their new minder, so I could share info. Never heard from her and I was really disappointed, would have loved to share how wonderful they were.