PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Observations

Mandalane
06-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Dear All,

I am struggling a bit with what sort of things to observe, I look after 4 2 year olds, they are all quite happy playing together, they love to do craft and also to just have lots of free play, I have done some observations while they are building while they are just chatting amongst themselves and if I see them doing something new! BUt need some fresh idea's.

To me they are all moving along as they should be some are slower than others at doing things but that's normal just a bit stumped at what to do with them all to make sure they are progressing how they should as they all seem to be doing it anyway!

Any advice would be helpful, I am so sick of all the paperwork and just getting a bit bogged down with it to be honest!

I have done a bit of planning for November and Dec such as , children helping to make decorations making cards for family and singing Christmas songs and stuff just struggle with obs and next steps!!!

MessybutHappy
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Could you look at the next age band in development matters and see if they are beginning to show skills in this bracket?

clairer
06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Message me and I can send you some of my observations on two year olds. I will remove photos, names and d.o.bs. Might give you some inspiration.

Tinkerbell1979
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Watching with interest as I'm struggling to cos lime you say I look at everything they do as normal not an observation lol

gef918
07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Look at the observations you have done. Have you covered all areas of learning? For each child, pick an area and think of an activity that focusses on that area, e.g. speaking. What are they saying? What do you want them to be saying, e.g. perhaps they are only using single words and you would like them to be putting two together. Next steps would be encouraging this, e.g. saying "more milk" to them when they ask for just milk.

Just remember to start with the child and what they can do. Then think about what you can do to help them develop.