PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED chair says 2 year olds should be in school

Simona
05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Baroness Morgan, Ofsted chairs, has caused a bit of a reaction from the sector with her proposal that 2 year old should be in school to reduce the gap in learning

Schools should admit children at two, says Ofsted chief - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10425343/Schools-should-admit-children-at-two-says-Ofsted-chief.html)

More here in The Guardian

Schools should admit children at age of two or three, says Ofsted chief | Education | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/04/schools-admit-children-age-two-three-ofsted-chief?CMP=twt_gu#)!

And this is PLA challenge to her

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/428/alliance-challenges-ofsted-s-call-to-enrol-two-and-three-year-olds-in-all-through-schools#!

rickysmiths
05-11-2013, 01:39 PM
It is more a ploy to provide free childcare. They are panicking because Ms Truss has thus far been unable to deliver this and they promised to reduce the cost of childcare. What I want to know is how do they propose to fund these extra school places? Also will they fund extensions to school to enable them to have the physical space to accommodate these extra children when they can't afford to build the schools we need for our Primary and Secondary children.

They have a huge number of 2yr places with excellent Childminders and Nurseries and now they propose to create more unemployed!

kellyskidz!
05-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Madness..I swear, they're losing touch with reality :doh:

Simona
05-11-2013, 05:46 PM
The EY sector dismisses school start at 2...love the way we appear to be responding pretty quickly these days to some of this utter rubbish coming out from those who know little about children and what's good for them!!!
Keep it going :clapping:

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1219696/sector-dismisses-ofsteds-call-all-through-schools-two?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sarah707
05-11-2013, 05:58 PM
What a silly idea - we all know that children need to be in school from birth - make sure they are well educated - those early years are so important you know :rolleyes:

Simona
05-11-2013, 06:30 PM
What a silly idea - we all know that children need to be in school from birth - make sure they are well educated - those early years are so important you know :rolleyes:

How about this comment on twitter from the children's writer Michael Rosen?

''The government have announced Foetal Phonics teaching in their new Wormbwork Programme''...priceless!

The Juggler
05-11-2013, 08:05 PM
How about this comment on twitter from the children's writer Michael Rosen?

''The government have announced Foetal Phonics teaching in their new Wormbwork Programme''...priceless!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: love it. Michael Rosen is so fab!!!!!!!!!!!

TooEarlyForGin?
05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Thank god my own children are older. I really fear for our younger generation.

clairer
05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
How ridiculous. Exhausted two year olds asleep in classrooms nationwide. It's a joke.:p

Simona
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
How ridiculous. Exhausted two year olds asleep in classrooms nationwide. It's a joke.:p

As far as I understand they are talking being in school for the 15 hrs of funding...not longer... so what happens at 12 pm when these kids need picking up?...do cms pick up or the parents who the govt is pushing back into work anyway?

As usual 'clear as mud' so worth waiting for some clarification

SYLVIA
05-11-2013, 09:34 PM
If this government keep going this way, they will be able to save on maternity units soon. They can just set up a few classrooms as labour wards and the teacher can whisk them away to their desks! Children will be so fed up with education that we will end up with more troublesome teenagers than we have now. Why can't children be allowed to be children and just enjoy freedom for a few short years

The Juggler
05-11-2013, 10:20 PM
As far as I understand they are talking being in school for the 15 hrs of funding...not longer... so what happens at 12 pm when these kids need picking up?...do cms pick up or the parents who the govt is pushing back into work anyway?

As usual 'clear as mud' so worth waiting for some clarification

i guess they would love to just extend the wraparound care they offer 3 and 4 year olds now Sarah. It's so sad. We do have children just in our nursery who come at 0800 and stay til 3.00pm. you can tell who they are as they are exhausted and tired often. To do that to 2 year olds is too sad. At least if they go home with a CM at lunchtime, they can play, have the same stimulating activities but also chill and sleep if they need to. Being around 26 (and more) other children for the whole day is too much I think. 2 1/2 hours is plenty for 3 year olds - but way too much for a 2 year old every day.

Our school would not be supporting this - they already think it's ridiculous that truss has these ideas of 3 year olds doing desk based learning for most of the day - go my school - but unfortunately not all schools think the same :(

julie w
05-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Teachers will spend most of the day changing nappies.

Simona
06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
i guess they would love to just extend the wraparound care they offer 3 and 4 year olds now Sarah. It's so sad. We do have children just in our nursery who come at 0800 and stay til 3.00pm. you can tell who they are as they are exhausted and tired often. To do that to 2 year olds is too sad. At least if they go home with a CM at lunchtime, they can play, have the same stimulating activities but also chill and sleep if they need to. Being around 26 (and more) other children for the whole day is too much I think. 2 1/2 hours is plenty for 3 year olds - but way too much for a 2 year old every day.

Our school would not be supporting this - they already think it's ridiculous that truss has these ideas of 3 year olds doing desk based learning for most of the day - go my school - but unfortunately not all schools think the same :(

I wonder if Baroness Morgan...who is a Labour peer...is thinking ahead to the 25 hrs 'FREE CHILDCARE' the party will propose at the next election?

Her proposal is clearly hiding an agenda...at an interview in Radio 4 yesterday she appeared to backtrack on the 'formal learning'...what else would children do in school?...so what is behind the idea?

We were supposed to be 'consulted' on the 25 hrs and despite asking/tweeting the Shadow Minister many times...the consultation is proving elusive

All this is not in the short term planning...look long term and wonder why this was announced...many schools are already preparing to welcome 2 year olds and I bet they will be free ones!!!
Unfortunately it looks like education and politics are very embroiled!

Teachers will not be changing any nappies....they will have an army of CMs waiting in the wings to do the 'care' while they deliver the 'education'...isn't that part of the Childcare hubs?
I bet schools will expect 2 year olds to be potty trained next!!!

The sector has come up very clearly against this...I hope we will give this idea no time at all and bin it!

Simona
06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
A well know expert, Sally Goddard Blythe, has responded to Baroness Morgan with scientific evidence

Children aged two need to develop through play and not begin schooling - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/10428556/Children-aged-two-need-to-develop-through-play-and-not-begin-schooling.html)

bunyip
06-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I have to say that, as news headlines go, "Head of Ofsted Talks B011ox" is right up there with "Ursine Mammal Defecates in Area of Arboreal Land Use." :yawning:

rickysmiths
06-11-2013, 01:06 PM

There are 2yr olds in some schools already sadly. The financial incentives are high I believe if a school takes on two year olds at the moment they get double the funding for them than for their 3 year olds. If a school is low on funds I can see this as being a good reason for them to take on the 2yr olds.

Simona
07-11-2013, 01:29 PM
More comments here

Sector dismisses Ofsted's call for 'all-through' schools from two | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1219696/sector-dismisses-ofsteds-call-all-through-schools-two?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

gef918
10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Have any of these politicians even met a two year old? Let alone cared for one?

Simona
10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
This is also very interesting ...I like the comments from the NDNA CEO about funding

Talking Point: Is school the right place for toddlers? - Huddersfield Examiner (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/talking-point-school-right-place-6286321)